Should I Appeal?

Received my ratings lightning fast (Army). I am 20% DoD / 100% P&T VA. The PEB made a false statement on the 199 wherein it states that I reinjured a knee by "running and various field exercises." This is untrue, I tore my ACL for the second time (first time while in the Army) on the Air Assault Obstacle course at Fort Campbell. It is in my AHLTA records multiple times, and I even highlighted this in my MEB rebuttal and included the AHLTA records. Without the V4 code, my severance will be recouped. I, however, do not want to be medically retired as the time-value of money proves severance and 100% much better for myself and my family, and I am concerned that if I appeal that the FPEB will re-look at my DoD ratings. Advice would be much appreciated.

The FPEB is still going to use the VA ratings for your DoD percentage, unless you appeal to add in additional unfitting conditions, you should stay at 20% at the FPEB. The VA reconsideration is where a person would fight for the higher rating and potential medical retirement. Unless your Legacy DES.

I am not legacy. I think fighting for the V4 may be worth it. I should add that my unfitting condition is “multiple failed acl reconstruction . . . and residuals,” but the PEB did not include surgical scars and post-operative nerve damage as a residual. So, my hesitation is that an astute PEB would include those two ratings as residuals.

Last edited:
If you don't get a re-rate via a VARR, your percentage will not change.