Should I speak to PCM about a Med Board?

For the past two years I've had pain in the left knee. Last January it became increasingly worse to where it limited my ability to run or perform other high impact activity. My supervision largely disregarded my concerns to the point that I had to consult with my PCM on my own.

PCM scheduled physical therapy and issued a no running/walking profile. Over the intervening months, the pain barely subsided. Finally, the doc ordered an MRI which confirmed his suspicions of chondromalacia, patella femoral syndrome with an arthritic condition. Additional tests are ordered, to test the amount of pressure the knee can withstand. In the meantime, the pain led to a melancholic state to the point where a behavioral health provider is strongly recommending depression meds. Not being able to properly exercise and take a full component fitness assessment has dragged down my mental state as I was forced to forego the aerobic component of two consecutive PT tests.

Recently had a sleep study, the results showed severe sleep apnea and the PCM ordered the use of a CPAP in addition to further sleep tests. The sleep apnea has my blood pressure greatly increased along with the stress of the glares, gossip, speculation and innuendo coming from my leadership, concerning my health.

Should I speak to my doctor about possibly opening me up for a Med Board? My health has taken a drastic downturn this last year and I truly fear what will happen next. Is a Med Board the best course for me at this point?

MED Board seems to be in order for your current situation, however, you have to get your PCM to refer you to pain management (or let your physical therapy and/or psychiatrist/psychologist) recommend that you have reached a Medical Retention Determination Point (MRDP) for MEB. From my experience, most PCMs do not like to initiate MEB unless it is recommended by a specialty doc. Though the result of your recent MRI is quite significant (in addition to your mental health issues, OSA and HTN), however, they may not be enough for your PCM to initiate MEB. My advice: Have the MEB conversation with your PCM, see what he says. If he feels you are not a candidate for MEB, request a referral to pain management or have your physical therapist, through ALHTA, recommend you for MEB. Once the recommendation is in, your PCM has no choice than to refer you to MEB with a P3 profile.

Goodluck!! I hope it all works out for you.

For the past two years I've had pain in the left knee. Last January it became increasingly worse to where it limited my ability to run or perform other high impact activity. My supervision largely disregarded my concerns to the point that I had to consult with my PCM on my own.

PCM scheduled physical therapy and issued a no running/walking profile. Over the intervening months, the pain barely subsided. Finally, the doc ordered an MRI which confirmed his suspicions of chondromalacia, patella femoral syndrome with an arthritic condition. Additional tests are ordered, to test the amount of pressure the knee can withstand. In the meantime, the pain led to a melancholic state to the point where a behavioral health provider is strongly recommending depression meds. Not being able to properly exercise and take a full component fitness assessment has dragged down my mental state as I was forced to forego the aerobic component of two consecutive PT tests.

Recently had a sleep study, the results showed severe sleep apnea and the PCM ordered the use of a CPAP in addition to further sleep tests. The sleep apnea has my blood pressure greatly increased along with the stress of the glares, gossip, speculation and innuendo coming from my leadership, concerning my health.

Should I speak to my doctor about possibly opening me up for a Med Board? My health has taken a drastic downturn this last year and I truly fear what will happen next. Is a Med Board the best course for me at this point?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, within the past two years, have you been officially placed on a temporary military physical profile for 12 months (collectively or cumulatively) for your left knee condition and/or any other medical condition at this particular point in time? If yes, then your assigned PCM is suppose to automatically submit a referral for acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process at least from an U.S. Army perspective during my military tenure; other military branches of service may have their own specific requirements for mandatory time generated IDES referrals.

Nonetheless, it seems that your PCM is performing the necessary steps/actions of trying to exhaust all available medical treatments on the left knee condition for a potential referral into the DoD IDES process; only time will yield the necessary results at this point.

In the interim via my experienced opinion, it's suggested to be placed on a temporary military physical profile if you are continuing to experience the same or worsening symptomology for the left knee condition affecting your ability to perform your assigned military duties. Also, if there are any other medical conditions as a direct result of the left knee impairment which is affecting your ability to perform your assigned military duties should have a temporary military physical profile generated as well. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I never recommend asking for a MEB directly. Rather ask the PCM about your future in the service? Put it on them to come to that conclusion.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, within the past two years, have you been officially placed on a temporary military physical profile for 12 months (collectively or cumulatively) for your left knee condition and/or any other medical condition at this particular point in time? If yes, then your assigned PCM is suppose to automatically submit a referral for acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process at least from an U.S. Army perspective during my military tenure; other military branches of service may have their own specific requirements for mandatory time generated IDES referrals.

Nonetheless, it seems that your PCM is performing the necessary steps/actions of trying to exhaust all available medical treatments on the left knee condition for a potential referral into the DoD IDES process; only time will yield the necessary results at this point.

In the interim via my experienced opinion, it's suggested to be placed on a temporary military physical profile if you are continuing to experience the same or worsening symptomology for the left knee condition affecting your ability to perform your assigned military duties. Also, if there are any other medical conditions as a direct result of the left knee impairment which is affecting your ability to perform your assigned military duties should have a temporary military physical profile generated as well. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!
My left knee profile was in effect for eight months. It has the possibility of being extended should the doctor see a need. He is going to determine what necessary profiles should be in place once the second sleep tests are performed, along with the CPAP being issued. Right now it just feels like my entire future with the military is in limbo, and I've no idea what to do.

My left knee profile was in effect for eight months. It has the possibility of being extended should the doctor see a need. He is going to determine what necessary profiles should be in place once the second sleep tests are performed, along with the CPAP being issued. Right now it just feels like my entire future with the military is in limbo, and I've no idea what to do.
For sure, I can comprehend your heightened state of mind at this point albeit you are doing a great job with continuing to be "positively proactive" about your medical situation.

As such, your medical situation may seem to be in a limbo status, but your military future is still very much viable at this point because you are performing the necessary actions in order to improve your health. That should be applauded and commended with continuing motivation to succeed at least in my experienced opinion.

Indeed, I would strongly suggest to continue to allow the medical community via your assigned PCM to provide the necessary medical healthcare treatments for a continuing path to physical and mental wellness. To any extent at the end of all available medical treatments if your status doesn't improve with the impairments then at least you are fully aware that a referral by your PCM into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process will probably be the next forthcoming series of medical actions. No worries; please continue onwards and take care!

Best Wishes!

MED Board seems to be in order for your current situation, however, you have to get your PCM to refer you to pain management (or let your physical therapy and/or psychiatrist/psychologist) recommend that you have reached a Medical Retention Determination Point (MRDP) for MEB. From my experience, most PCMs do not like to initiate MEB unless it is recommended by a specialty doc. Though the result of your recent MRI is quite significant (in addition to your mental health issues, OSA and HTN), however, they may not be enough for your PCM to initiate MEB. My advice: Have the MEB conversation with your PCM, see what he says. If he feels you are not a candidate for MEB, request a referral to pain management or have your physical therapist, through ALHTA, recommend you for MEB. Once the recommendation is in, your PCM has no choice than to refer you to MEB with a P3 profile.

Goodluck!! I hope it all works out for you.
Great idea about the pain management. Since my knee problems, I've also developed a soreness, heaviness in my left foot along with pain in the arch of the same foot, in addition to the left inside toe. Currently, I take Gabapentin for sleep, which also in a way doubles as a pain medication; aspirin, Celebrex and ibuprofen are also on the menu. My mental health provider has also been quite concerned given the pain, has even asked if there has been discussion of ending my military career--from the PCM. Pain management will be my next course. Thank you so much. Also, the doctor is going to decide which type of profile to issue once the sleep results are final and CPAP is received.

For sure, I can comprehend your heightened state of mind at this point albeit you are doing a great job with continuing to be "positively proactive" about your medical situation.

As such, your medical situation may seem to be in a limbo status, but your military future is still very much viable at this point because you are performing the necessary actions in order to improve your health. That should be applauded and commended with continuing motivation to succeed at least in my experienced opinion.

Indeed, I would strongly suggest to continue to allow the medical community via your assigned PCM to provide the necessary medical healthcare treatments for a continuing path to physical and mental wellness. To any extent at the end of all available medical treatments if your status doesn't improve with the impairments then at least you are fully aware that a referral by your PCM into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process will probably be the next forthcoming series of medical actions. No worries; please continue onwards and take care!

Best Wishes!
Thank you, I will heed your suggestions and hope for a positive outcome for my health and fitness for duty.

Thank you, I will heed your suggestions and hope for a positive outcome for my health and fitness for duty.
Indeed, you are welcome! :D

As such, two-thirds of the overall battle (e.g., mind & spirit) is already won while a win for the body is forthcoming! ;) Take care! :)

Best Wishes!