Should my nephew re-enlist while on Profile?

twinlabs

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
His separation date is 3/11. He is on permanent profile currently and it is noted in the profile that re-evaluation of his situation for possible MEB in 2/11. We are sending updated information to the nurse from his oncologist this or next week. Maybe or maybe not it will prompt an MEB at that time. Don't know.

If they start the MEB in Feb '11 and his separation date is March '11, can they just let him go? Should he re-enlist right now since he won't be able to while on MEB?

I was just told If my MEB goes beyond my ETS I have to be extended. The profile really should be resolved before seperation at least that is how I understand it. Good Luck

He will get put on med-hold until the MEB is over. If he is pending a MEB, then most likely he is not eligible for reenlistment.

His separation date is 3/11. He is on permanent profile currently and it is noted in the profile that re-evaluation of his situation for possible MEB in 2/11. We are sending updated information to the nurse from his oncologist this or next week. Maybe or maybe not it will prompt an MEB at that time. Don't know.

If they start the MEB in Feb '11 and his separation date is March '11, can they just let him go? Should he re-enlist right now since he won't be able to while on MEB?

I would say yes! If he plans on staying in.

If he doesn't, then he will likely be Presumed Fit...and then would separate at ETS date without severance/retirement pay.

I am not at all familiar with the re-enlistment process. My nephew probably knows, but could someone here educate me? Jason, what you said is what I'm trying to avoid for him. Since we are about 6 months away from separation, who does he contact to re-enlist? Is it just filling out paperwork? Does he have to do the fitness test (AFPT?). I'm guessing if he re-enlists, then something is going to trigger an MEB, yes?

I just had an e-mail exchange with the nurse at the National Guard office. I'm really confused now, and don't want to mess this up. I'm going to be sending some updated medical information for my nephew for his profile. She thinks he has a Temp Profile, but the paperwork I have states a Perm Profile. PULHES is 333121.

Here is her response:

His temporary profile is valid until Feb 2011. I can request a permanent
profile on his behalf referring him to the MEB/PEB now I planned on waiting
until Feb 2011. Would you like me to request the perm profile now? He can
medically extend during the MEB/PEB process. When can he medically retire?
3/11? The incap pay should be directed to SFC Mitchell he will need to
contact Health Services. Hopefully I helped some. Please let me know your
plan and I can adjust accordingly.

It appears that she might be just as knowledgeable as I am about this. I don't feel
comfortable asking Sgt. Mitchell things as she suggests, as I am told that he likes to make things
harder on the guys in the unit.

Here is her latest response:
Yes his profile is permanent for a period of one year Please look at the
other comments on page 2 of the profile which states "Medical documentation
reviewed. Soldier has had surgical intervention and is being treated with
Chemo and Radiation. Documentation indicates that the treatment and recovery
will take a year during which time the SM is NOT authorized to work or attend
DRILL/AT. Case needs monitored during care, along with a review for medical
retention standards at the year mark in Feb 2011". At the one year mark Feb
2011 the State Surgeon requests to re review his case to determine if the
soldier is medically retainable. The soldier must be found medically non
retainable by OH in order to go to a MEB/PEB for disability disposition. So
yes he may be recommended for medical separation upon further review by the
State Surgeon Feb 2011. However, if he has been recommend for medical
separation he has a right to appeal and request a MEB. If he elects the MEB
it would be a disservice to Lynn if he just ETS during this process. If you
have gained guidance from someone else that believes it is better for him to
re enlist now as opposed to waiting then he should re enlist. Just in case he
cannot re enlist request a medical extension his profile and his civilian
provider support this please direct anyone to me if you are told he cannot
medically extend. I will take care of it. I know this is a lot of information
and it may not correspond if you feel this information does not match up with
what you have heard please let me know. I will pull all the right people and
we can do a conference call with everyone involved to answer any questions
you may have.

I am here to advocate for him please let me know what you need so I can pull
the right resources. If you can let me know your plan I will process
accordingly. Feel free to contact me at anytime.

She seems to think that he can medically extend if going through the MEB process? Is this true? I just want
to have him do what will benefit him the most. Wait till Feb '11 or re-enlist now?

If he is not barred from re-enlistment due to his profile, it is much easier to just re-enlist.

If he is barred from re-enlistment, the only other option would be to ensure that he is extended past his ETS to complete his MEB (something his command is supposed to do, but probably won't).