Signed my DA 199 now what?

bigt1769

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was told it would take up to 2 weeks to get my orders. My PEBLO said today was the last time we would talk to each other. So how does PTDY work? Will I get my ETS date within a week of getting orders? I wasn't really given any extra information.

From what I understand, they are supposed to have you out of the Army within 90 days of you signing the 199. You are authorized 20 days of permissive TDY on top of whatever leave you have.

Once you sign your 199 then roughly week or two you will hit TRANSPOC and get your clearing orders. The day you get your orders will be when your NLT 90 day timeline starts. If you are getting Med Boarded then you'll get 10 days for PTDY, and if you are Med Retired then you will get 20 days PTDY. You can either sell your leave days back or take the amount you have, but you can't go past that set date 90 days out.

Once you sign your 199 then roughly week or two you will hit TRANSPOC and get your clearing orders. The day you get your orders will be when your NLT 90 day timeline starts. If you are getting Med Boarded then you'll get 10 days for PTDY, and if you are Med Retired then you will get 20 days PTDY. You can either sell your leave days back or take the amount you have, but you can't go past that set date 90 days out.
So If I am getting med boarded and I am getting permanent retirement with 90% disability where does that put me with PTDY? Also, is there any chance I could ask to get out as soon as possible? I have like 12 leave days on top of the PTDY I will get but the earlier I can get out the better. Thanks for the help!

Once your name hits the transpoc list, retirement services will call you. You'll get to choose your final out date within the 90 day window. You can get a memo from your commander to start turning in CIF now and if you haven't already, get setup to do the online ACAP immediately.

I chose my date as far out as I could, every month longer I stayed in was another month at O3E over 18, and it knocked off another month of O3E over 16. Your medical retirement will be calculated from your highest 36 months pay. I certainly could have chosen a much earlier out date if I had wanted to.

Last thing, you'll want to make your final day very close to but not on the last day of the month. Let's say your final day was 28 FEB, DOD would pay you for the month of FEB minus that one day. Then VA would pay you for March.

Now let's say you got out on 1 March, niether VA nor DOD would pay you for March. You would simply miss out on a months worth of pay.

Hello all,

My MEB time line

19JUL16 started

23July16 VA Claims

14Sep16 Med exams come back

11Oct16 MEB

26Oct16 IPEB

15Nov16 VA ratings

22Nov16 PEB findings (got a QMP letter, so I submitted my retirement packet around this time)

01DEC16 PEBLO counsel and soldier election

Currently in the PEB appeal process, my FPEB was on 23FEB17, signed 199 sent up to PDA.

So now the twist to the tail. I received an approved retirement letter from DA, on the 23 FEB 17 dated 15FEB17, for a 20 year retirement date of 31JULY17. I pick up my retirement orders today from the transition office.

So my question is will the MEB foul up my 20 year retirement?

So If I am getting med boarded and I am getting permanent retirement with 90% disability where does that put me with PTDY? Also, is there any chance I could ask to get out as soon as possible? I have like 12 leave days on top of the PTDY I will get but the earlier I can get out the better. Thanks for the help!

Since your being Medically Retired you will get 20 days PTDY. Add that to your 12 days and you will be on terminal leave for 32 days. Or you can elect to not use your own leave and sale those days back if you desire. But like Tony said I would game plan it to where your last day is during the last week of the month. That is your final date, not terminal leave start time. So that way you get full checks for those months.

You have to request PTDY, it is not an entitlement like leave is, & depends on your situation how much you may ask for. I ask for 30 days along with a memo of justification, & got it. I am Army, so each service might be different, I would do some homework on it.

You have to request PTDY, it is not an entitlement like leave is, & depends on your situation how much you may ask for. I ask for 30 days along with a memo of justification, & got it. I am Army, so each service might be different, I would do some homework on it.

I just received my notification from MPD and will be requesting 20 days PTDY soon. Also Army.

What was your justification for 30 days instead 20?

So I am retiring in Germany, & I put down job hunting, house hunting & moving house hold to a different part to f Germany, as well as the difficulty of migrating to Germany as a resident, & financial stability durning transitioning.

This was before the federal hiring freeze & mandatory 180 wait for retirees (although the law doesn't specify Medical or time in service retirees). So I would use that as a justification, as well as having a steady income for stability while you are transitioning & with out a job.

Remember PTDY is authorization not an entitlement, so don't think you are entitled to anything as far as PTDY goes. Look up the ref on leaves & passes & read up on PTDY, it will let you know your left & right limits.

dustystroll, A moment agoReport

So to update.

I got an LOR yesterday with an out date in the beginning of June. I need to get to 24July to hit 20 years.

I submitted a request to the first O6 in my chain for an expemption to policy to exceed the 90 days to take my accured leave for transition. The O6 is the approval authority IAW the MILPER message 09-067. We will see how that goes.

I also called the guy at HRC who approved my retirement, & he told me that even though I had a medical retirement date, I needed to REQUEST (4187) to rescind the original 20 year retirement (who knows what "pack sand" means?).

Everytime I asked someone local, which I did from the PEBLO to the Transition folks they had me chasing my tail, that's why I went direct to HRC (the guy sounded grumpy that I called).

So maybe me disturbing the all the little shits will help the next poor soul. I don't think I will hit 20 years, but be 20 days short.

It says in the regulation that

d. All eligible Soldiers are authorized ten (10) days transition PTDY, as provided in paragraph f, below. The

following Soldiers are authorized additional transition PTDY in conjunction with their transition from active duty. If

the Soldier is being separated for reasons not listed below, he or she is not authorized additional (that is, in excess of

10 days) transition TDY.

(8) Officers and enlisted Soldiers separated for reason of disability rated at less than 30 percent. Commanders must

ensure that a DA Form 31 (Request and Authority for Leave) with inclusive dates of PTDY and leave accompanies the

packet forwarded to the Physical Evaluation Board. If the Physical Evaluation Board finds the Soldier fit for duty, the

DA Form 31 will be voided.

(9) Officers and enlisted Soldiers who have an approved voluntary retirement or disability retirement.

e. Additional transition PTDY may be authorized as follows for Soldiers who meet the criteria described in

paragraph 5–35d, above, as follows.

So in section 9 would be where the extra 10 days would come from since I got 90% and permanent retirement?

Yeah, that's why you get 20 days for retirement. About the only time you get 30 is when you're stationed overseas and are retiring from there.

It says in the regulation that

d. All eligible Soldiers are authorized ten (10) days transition PTDY, as provided in paragraph f, below. The

following Soldiers are authorized additional transition PTDY in conjunction with their transition from active duty. If

the Soldier is being separated for reasons not listed below, he or she is not authorized additional (that is, in excess of

10 days) transition TDY.

(8) Officers and enlisted Soldiers separated for reason of disability rated at less than 30 percent. Commanders must

ensure that a DA Form 31 (Request and Authority for Leave) with inclusive dates of PTDY and leave accompanies the

packet forwarded to the Physical Evaluation Board. If the Physical Evaluation Board finds the Soldier fit for duty, the

DA Form 31 will be voided.

(9) Officers and enlisted Soldiers who have an approved voluntary retirement or disability retirement.

e. Additional transition PTDY may be authorized as follows for Soldiers who meet the criteria described in

paragraph 5–35d, above, as follows.

So in section 9 would be where the extra 10 days would come from since I got 90% and permanent retirement?
The wording is what gets folks, you are "authorized" not entitled. Most CDRs will give what they can give, but it is better to have a memo of justification, & do all you can to try & have the CDR want to give you all the PTDY allowed. In the end you have to make it happen, no one is going to do it for you.
Good luck

The wording is what gets folks, you are "authorized" not entitled. Most CDRs will give what they can give, but it is better to have a memo of justification, & do all you can to try & have the CDR want to give you all the PTDY allowed. In the end you have to make it happen, no one is going to do it for you.
Good luck
Not in good terms with my Commander seeing they were trying to push me out instead of MEB me. Do I just submit it in by myself or? How does the memo of justification work?

Not in good terms with my Commander seeing they were trying to push me out instead of MEB me. Do I just submit it in by myself or? How does the memo of justification work?
Not sure about the approval authority, but the request would be in the form of what ever routing mechanisms your unit has, & the packet should include a (for the Army) a leave form (DA31)- LES & what ever else is required for submitting leave, the MOJ. Once you get your LOR, you have a window up until the date of seperation stated on the LOR (about 90 days). The company CDR is required to give you a separation counseling after receipt of the LOR, so make an appointment with the CDR to exactly that, don't wait for them to tell you a date, because you may need that paperwork to get something's done. Do all correspondence via Outlook so everything is an official statement (it really is, if on GOV email).
If you ask for +30 days of regular leave, the request has to go to the Bn as the company CDR can't approve that, he may deny it & stop it at the Company lvl.
Every Army CDR is required to have an open door policy, so if you feel you are not getting a fair shake, inform your chain of command, starting with your first line, & increase your area of impact by going to the next higher CDR in your chain, have your ducks dress right dress, (all the email traffic etc...) & request the PTDY you want IAW regs.
A note of caution here, don't do the blame game, that is don't go in & bitch about how so & so is out to get you. Explain how what you are requesting is going to benefit you & your family(put this in the MOJ as well), also it would really make a good impression if you gave examples of the good things the Army has done for you (you should be thankful and proud of that anyway). Remember you are asking for something that the CDR is not required to grant (they may have to justify why it was denied, but that is just a creative writing assignment). You have to sell it.

At the end of it all, I always have judged the success of failure as how high large of the area of impact was. I do know of a friend who's wife had written (email on blast) to the POTUS, Joint Chiefs, SecA, SecD, and every CDR in the chain, & the ball that went down hill was majestic. All the CDRs were puckered like a rabbits nose (still didn't get what he was asking for, but what a fail). He did recive a bit a razzing, mostly by battle buddies, cause that shit was wicked.

Last edited:
Not sure about the approval authority, but the request would be in the form of what ever routing mechanisms your unit has, & the packet should include a (for the Army) a leave form (DA31)- LES & what ever else is required for submitting leave, the MOJ. Once you get your LOR, you have a window up until the date of seperation stated on the LOR (about 90 days). The company CDR is required to give you a separation counseling after receipt of the LOR, so make an appointment with the CDR to exactly that, don't wait for them to tell you a date, because you may need that paperwork to get something's done. Do all correspondence via Outlook so everything is an official statement (it really is, if on GOV email).
If you ask for +30 days of regular leave, the request has to go to the Bn as the company CDR can't approve that, he may deny it & stop it at the Company lvl.
Every Army CDR is required to have an open door policy, so if you feel you are not getting a fair shake, inform your chain of command, starting with your first line, & increase your area of impact by going to the next higher CDR in your chain, have your ducks dress right dress, (all the email traffic etc...) & request the PTDY you want IAW regs.
A note of caution here, don't do the blame game, that is don't go in & bitch about how so & so is out to get you. Explain how what you are requesting is going to benefit you & your family(put this in the MOJ as well), also it would really make a good impression if you gave examples of the good things the Army has done for you (you should be thankful and proud of that anyway). Remember you are asking for something that the CDR is not required to grant (they may have to justify why it was denied, but that is just a creative writing assignment). You have to sell it.

At the end of it all, I always have judged the success of failure as how high large of the area of impact was. I do know of a friend who's wife had written (email on blast) to the POTUS, Joint Chiefs, SecA, SecD, and every CDR in the chain, & the ball that went down hill was majestic. All the CDRs were puckered like a rabbits nose (still didn't get what he was asking for, but what a fail). He did recive a bit a razzing, mostly by battle buddies, cause that shit was wicked.
Good info, appreciate the help

I contacted Transproc today via phone and they said it would email instead of phone call. I called because it has been 2 weeks