SLAP Tear & Clavicle Malunion Ratings?

NSDQ_Evan

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am currently going through a MEB for my Right Shoulder. I have yet to find anyone that can answer my question so far in regards to a rating from the VA. I had a SLAP Tear in my right shoulder which was surgically repaired, but my pain and reduced range of motion is contributed to that diagnosis. In addition, I also fractured my right clavicle, which never healed correctly and I have malunion of the clavicle.

I already completed my C&P Exam, and I know I will receive 20% for limited range of motion of my right arm which is from my SLAP Tear. However, a clavicle malunion is rated 10% and is a separate condition. These were both "referred" conditions for my MEB separate from each other. So overall, I am not sure if these two will be separate ratings or will my shoulder be combined to only 20%? I would appreciate any and all input from anyone who may have more insight on the shoulder.

Thank You!

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am currently going through a MEB for my Right Shoulder. I have yet to find anyone that can answer my question so far in regards to a rating from the VA. I had a SLAP Tear in my right shoulder which was surgically repaired, but my pain and reduced range of motion is contributed to that diagnosis. In addition, I also fractured my right clavicle, which never healed correctly and I have malunion of the clavicle.

I already completed my C&P Exam, and I know I will receive 20% for limited range of motion of my right arm which is from my SLAP Tear. However, a clavicle malunion is rated 10% and is a separate condition. These were both "referred" conditions for my MEB separate from each other. So overall, I am not sure if these two will be separate ratings or will my shoulder be combined to only 20%? I would appreciate any and all input from anyone who may have more insight on the shoulder.

Thank You!
If one was rated 20% and the other 10% your total DOD rating would be 30% and you would be eligible for a medical retirement. Even with VA math that gets you to 30% DOD.

At what time did you receive your va ratings. What is c&p is that after peb
How long did you go through that. My grandson is on 3 months now with TBI and loss of hearing and haven’t addressed his numbness in leg. He is in navy and they said they were going to medical discharge but still going back and forth to dr

If one was rated 20% and the other 10% your total DOD rating would be 30% and you would be eligible for a medical retirement. Even with VA math that gets you to 30% DOD.
Thank you for the response. I’m not sure if I asked my question correctly though. First of all, I should have stated I have not got back any official ratings. What I stated is based off what the MEB Counsel told
me. I guess my concern was whether they would just be a 20% rating together due to pyramiding as they are both shoulder conditions?

At what time did you receive your va ratings. What is c&p is that after peb
How long did you go through that. My grandson is on 3 months now with TBI and loss of hearing and haven’t addressed his numbness in leg. He is in navy and they said they were going to medical discharge but still going back and forth to dr
I have not received any official ratings yet. C&P (Compensation and Pension) Exams are the medical exams you attend where you are evaluated on the disabilities you claim through the VA. You are assigned your ratings for your disabilities based on the findings and evidence from your C&P Exams. I am in the Army, so unfortunately I have no knowledge on the Medical processes of the Navy.

Rating are based on range of motion. Given that your range of motion if unique, it is impossible to hazard a guess as to your percentage of disability.

Rating are based on range of motion. Given that your range of motion if unique, it is impossible to hazard a guess as to your percentage of disability.
Thank you for the response. For my shoulder ROM, I had a maximum of 85 degrees on my DBQ so that warrants a 20% and my attorney says he concurs with that. In my situation, I also have a clavicle Malunion which says is 10% in 38CFR. These are two separate conditions, but I’m still wondering if it will be two separate ratings or the VA will give me one combined rating for the shoulder?

I would expect two ratings.
20%
+10% of 80= 8%
=28%
rounds to 30%