So confused...

cody.curran

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok, so discharged in 2005 with 10% rating from Air Force. filed for VA disability in 2009 and awarded 60%. In 2015 was re-tested and awarded 100% total and permanent. Now recommendation has been made to medically retire me. So as far as pay goes...I’m assuming nothing changes, no back pay and VA just continues as normal??
I’ve read through so many post and read so many different things. So people got back pay and VA Recouped all that was paid or no back pay??

My disability is for respiratory issues. I was sent home with a letter from the Middle East about contributing factors so not sure if that’s considered combat related or what...so many questions.

Who recommended you be retired? Respiratory in not currently presumptive for CRSC, so you would have to prove a nexus to establish combat related.

Also, I received severance pay when I was discharged and all of it was paid back when I was rated 60% VA back in 2009.

Everything will fall into place. If you were discharged at 10% (severance) and the PDBR has granted you relief, you will need to see what percentage that you were given the retirement at.

It will be somewhere between 30 and 60%, but that is going to be hard to ascertain since you have not provided many details.

Everything will fall into place. If you were discharged at 10% (severance) and the PDBR has granted you relief, you will need to see what percentage that you were given the retirement at.

It will be somewhere between 30 and 60%, but that is going to be hard to ascertain since you have not provided many details.
I understand. I haven’t received the official letters yet stating what percentage. I’ve just been emailing back and fourth with PDBR and they said everything went in the mail today to AFPC I guess. But they confirmed recommendation for medical retirement has been made.

Attachments

• BB748E8D-C072-4D60-BD10-3BFC081E8C1E.png
    BB748E8D-C072-4D60-BD10-3BFC081E8C1E.png
    705.1 KB · Views: 52
PDBR has made the recommendation for me to be medically retired.
Great news. It take time for the details to flush through the system. The good news is you will be TriCare eligible once the retirement hits the system. Congrats on a successful run at the BCMR!

PDBR has made the recommendation for me to be medically retired.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, that's outstanding news from the PDBR and congratulations! :D

As such, enjoy your forthcoming military disability retirement to include its comprehensive medical benefits! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

So got my official letter (email) yesterday. Looks like re-catagorized to 30% medical retirement. Curious to where it goes from here.

Attachments

• 87BD738D-6AD6-4359-A0AB-43D54B524FC2.png
    87BD738D-6AD6-4359-A0AB-43D54B524FC2.png
    686.2 KB · Views: 35
Congrats on the retirement. I was also 10% Asthma re-catagorized to 30% and retired. What will happen now is after you call AFPC you get put on a waitlist to review/complete your DD Form 2656. This is your retirement form and SBP election. This took around 60 days for the call back from AFPC. They will go over the form with you to verify your info. They are required to go over the DOD retirement pay regardless if your VA disability is more. Once you fill out and send back to AFPC this will initiate the process of having your original separation orders rescinded, create a new special order retiring you and create a new DD214. This takes around 30-90 days for this to happen. You will find your new orders/DD214 on misconnect.com (DPRIS) much quicker then waiting for them in the mail. After you receive these you will be able to go to the closest RAPIDS site, they will update you and dependents in DEERS and obtain your Ret Mil ID and dependent ID's. You will also be able to enroll in Tricare. Because you are 100% VA, you won't need to worry about dealing with DFAS for retirement/back pay.

I received my official letter in June and just now finishing this whole process.

Congrats on the retirement. I was also 10% Asthma re-catagorized to 30% and retired. What will happen now is after you call AFPC you get put on a waitlist to review/complete your DD Form 2656. This is your retirement form and SBP election. This took around 60 days for the call back from AFPC. They will go over the form with you to verify your info. They are required to go over the DOD retirement pay regardless if your VA disability is more. Once you fill out and send back to AFPC this will initiate the process of having your original separation orders rescinded, create a new special order retiring you and create a new DD214. This takes around 30-90 days for this to happen. You will find your new orders/DD214 on misconnect.com (DPRIS) much quicker then waiting for them in the mail. After you receive these you will be able to go to the closest RAPIDS site, they will update you and dependents in DEERS and obtain your Ret Mil ID and dependent ID's. You will also be able to enroll in Tricare. Because you are 100% VA, you won't need to worry about dealing with DFAS for retirement/back pay.

I received my official letter in June and just now finishing this whole process.
Thank you for all of the info!