Some thoughts on the Forum and my input

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
PEB FORUM Members, folks who follow the forum, and everyone else who reads this:

Just some thoughts that I want to share.

I am going to post a more detailed post about my thoughts on this, but, I want to share this as a summary or short collection of points that I think folks should consider when reading posts on the forum.
  1. The forum has been here for many years. Many of the points and issues that are common to many folks have been discussed again and again. I have strived to often still respond to posts, questions and issues with responses to issues that have been covered many times over in the past. However, I must admit, after many years of addressing similar issues, posts and questions, I sometimes don't answer questions that I have addressed many times. This is not because I don't care. There are many reasons for this....knowing that many of the answers to the common issues have been addressed (again, and again, and again), I know that they can be found by searching the forums. And, I must admit, again, that I have less interest in repeating myself many times over. I want to help anyone I can. But, I also think that folks who just join, post a question and don't bother to search what has been addressed many times are in some respects taking advantage. There is a search function. Use it. (That said, I have several posts that I am looking forwarding to making that will address some major substantive issues).
  2. Folks who post and have questions are best served by providing full details and actually asking a relevant question. Rants (inasmuch as the relate to your own situation) are okay. Part of the point of this forum is to have a place to vent, express frustration, and to have a place to just discuss things. That is fine and a reason for our forum. That said, providing only partial or cryptic details will not likely garner good or accurate responses.
  3. Nastiness, overly political or vitriolic comments are not welcome. Don't agree with policies? Fine. Wish things were different (I often do), fine. Take out your disagreements, piss or angst on others (especially others you "think" should not get or are not deserving of benefits or support)? Wrong place for that, and you will find your time here to be short and limited.
  4. Spam. Not tolerated, ever.
  5. Questions or comments about my legal services, representation or if "I can help." This is one of my most frustrating issues. I did not set this site up to get clients. I am not looking to get clients through this site. That said, I am an attorney, my practice is focused on this area of law and I rely on being a paid civilian attorney to do things like pay my bills, live, earn and work. I will not and do not try to convince people to use any civilian attorney, much less me, to represent them. Often times, I think folks may benefit from further representation. But, when folks "wonder" if I can help them, post about maybe looking to retain my services, or post questions that are kind of "hooks" in getting me to post based on "maybe" wanting to retain my services, I don't care for it much. If you need legal representation and are interested in my services, contact me at my professional website or ask (once) how to reach me and let it be that. Way too often, I see posts that hem and haw about issues, including seeking representation. I don't and won't provide legal representation via my posts here on the forum. I will only give my thoughts, inputs and seek to help folks to the extent I can. If you need a lawyer, get one.
  6. Timelines. This issue is also sometimes frustrating. Cases are all different, depend on the circumstances of each case, and are specific to each members case. That said, I think it is fine to discuss and question each other about case timelines and to post and view timelines. Just know, that I personally won't comment often on timeline posts and only point out that sometimes cases move quickly and sometimes they move slowly. (I have seen HUGE variances in timelines, from relatively quick decisions made and sometimes very long timelines until decisions are made). Feel free to ask and discuss. Just know that I will rarely have much input past what I have already posted on the subject and that input is rarely very helpful. Again, I have seen cases resolve relatively quickly and I have seen cases take years to resolve. That said, be acutely aware that in some cases, moving quickly (but, more often, especially in EPTS cases and or in cases where reaching 20 years of service is an issue) timelines are important. Taking steps that impact timelines can be an important issue in how you address your case.
  7. Understand the impact of timelines on your case. This is also related to my "global" view of cases, in that you should understand all of the issues, whether time impacts your case and what steps you should take to maximize your earned compensation and benefits.
  8. Also, understand that getting a good result can take a long time. If you have no appetite or interest in fighting issues that take fighting out, then appeals may be wasted. I have had cases take many years, sometimes, seven or eight years or more to get a final good results. I have had cases that were decades old that have gotten ultimate good results. That it took so long to get a good result is a shame. But, sometimes, it takes a long time to get a fair and good result. (On the other hand, I have cases resolve in a very short time frame, in days rather than weeks).
  9. It is almost always better to fight issues earlier than later.
  10. In the vast majority of cases I review, it is possible and/or likely to get a better result than initially found. Usually, on review of the facts and circumstances of a case, it is possible to see whether a better result is possibly in the offing.
  11. I have recently seen some good progress in getting overall favorable results from the military in disability evaluation cases. I am not ready to state that things are "good" or are uniformly better. Still, things seem to be incrementally better for claimants.
  12. Often, even with a good case that should be resolved at the PEB level, it takes appeals that are successfully fought out to ascertain the level of benefits that should ultimately assigned. This means that it may take some appeals to win in cases that should be won. That said, I have seen and dealt with cases that should have resulted in a "win" that ultimately lost. There are no guarantees possible as to what cases will ultimately prevail. However, what is clear is that by accepting a poor outcome or not fighting for a better outcome, you will only get what is "given."
  13. Cases are not done until they are done. Folks should always consider and seek to gather additional evidence in their case even after their MEB or PEB or later appeal is "concluded." Later evidence may not be the "best" evidence, but, in some cases, can make the difference. Don't quit.

I have much more that I can write and try to distill down for folks. (Some of which I have already written and/or addressed in earlier posts). I hope this post has helped.

My thoughts:

This forum does not maintain a lot of senior posting mentors. I am a member of some web forums such as armyocs.com where a senior member may have thousands of posts, here it is always a few hundred. This is because most of us come here for a relatively short period of time, gather the information we need or require as it pertains to our particular case, and then we medically retire or go on our way and have no further use for these forums. Others feel the need to pay it back by providing advice well after our individual IDES cases have been resolved.

Around six months post retirement I was caught still surfing pebforum and my wife saw and asked me why? I told her it was this very forum that had members who were willing to help me, when nobody else in this world cared, these people did care and did help me. I feel the need to pay it back, but will not stick around anymore once my advice is no longer relevant. I don't set a specific date for this, but I know I won't be here in 2020... By then things will have changed so much since my case was finished I won't be relevant anymore.

Part of what makes armyocs.com relevant is that they require all new users to post a bio with all of their stats. They also hammer users to use the search function. Don't do these and the new user will feel the wrath. Peb forum could benefit from requiring the first post to answer any number of questions to include branch of service, diagnosis, etc.

Better yet would be some web forum "sticky" topics at each subforum. I cannot count the number of times I have either copied and pasted the VASRD mental health criteria. Yet every week a new person comes onto the board with questions about how thier mental health will be rated. Posting a sticky that stays at the top of the mental health sub forum would allow me to just link to it every time. The same goes for say spine and back, many people ask about ROM measurements and how thier spine would be rated and it happens over again Every week. A sticky explaining that in the spine and back forum would allow us to link to it and tell the newbie to read up on it.

I think posting a short bio with certain requirements as the first post should become standard. I would have a lot more patience explaining to an E3 with 2-3 years in an in depth explanation of IDES than I would if I were explaining it to a COL with 24 years in who should know much more. Asking someone to post thier rank, branch of service, unfitting diagnosis, years of service would be a minimum starting point. I can't tell you how many times I had to read and reread a post because someone just said they were undergoing a MEB and were an E6, and no branch. An AF E6 vs USMC E6 will have different acronyms, high year tenure, different timelines and a different process altogether. Yet if they don't post something as simple as branch of service, I have to dig around and try and figure it out.

If an E6 were undergoing a DAWG and I am an Army guy trying to help them, I would have to know that they didn't mean devil dawg... And know that DAWG in this case was an AF acronym that I have no idea what it stands for but that I have seen other AF members say it over and over again.

Jason I agree that if you stay here long enough you will see the same questions over and over. I believe this is mainly because people are to lazy and want people to find the aers for them and then tell them.

Also Tony, I agree that people should more specific in their questions and issues because yes all branches are so different.
If people would stick around even after they were done with the process they could help others. I will be around for a while because I too want to return the favors of helping people with this dreading process. So thank you Jason for having this forum

Make the title of your post specific to your issue. I pick and choose which post to read based on the title. Ambiguous titles such as "need help" "what do you think" and "my situation" give me no insight as to your specific issue and have a greater chance of being passed over as I pick which post I have time to read and respond to. If you list your specific condition, cause, problem in the title of your post, those with expertise in those areas are more likely to pick up on and respond to your post.

Always list your branch of service Active/NG/reserve to get a tailored response.

Mike

Thanks for the responses and input!

This forum does not maintain a lot of senior posting mentors. I am a member of some web forums such as armyocs.com where a senior member may have thousands of posts, here it is always a few hundred. This is because most of us come here for a relatively short period of time, gather the information we need or require as it pertains to our particular case, and then we medically retire or go on our way and have no further use for these forums. Others feel the need to pay it back by providing advice well after our individual IDES cases have been resolved.

You have hit on a huge issue/problem/limitation. I have always recognized the fact that folks only have a limited time when the forum is of direct interest and or help to them. It is the nature of the beast and it does not hurt my feelings at all. I expect that folks will come here, read posts, glean what they can that helps them, sometimes participate, and their case will end. (I also somewhat think it is healthy for some/many to move on once their case is over. Kind of the same for those who do 20 years or more of service and retire. The reality is that military service for most is relatively short. Even when it is long, there is life after the military. Folks should enjoy life and what comes after military service. No reason for folks to feel tied to reliving or continue to have interest on their past. That said, it is very helpful and part of this site that some folks do stick around and "pay it forward" by sharing their experiences and input). Bottom line, I think it is a built in limitation of this sites subject matter that there are not going to be very many folks who are here for a long time. I am grateful to those who do stick around and continue to contribute. It helps.

I feel the need to pay it back, but will not stick around anymore once my advice is no longer relevant. I don't set a specific date for this, but I know I won't be here in 2020... By then things will have changed so much since my case was finished I won't be relevant anymore.
Understandable. Jives with what I wrote above. That said, I don't think there is necessarily an "expiration date" on value of input. By being an active member, reading posts, and keeping up with the issues, you can continue to contribute long after your case has been decided.

Part of what makes armyocs.com relevant is that they require all new users to post a bio with all of their stats.

Great point and issue and one that I have grappled with, too. See, I have thought about having a questionnaire or set of questions that people have to (or can) fill out when registering. But, there is a trade off that I am very sensitive to. That is, the more cumbersome or complicated you (meaning me) make registering or participating, the less likely a person will complete those steps. I would have less sympathy or concern about the mid to high grade individual with many years of service. Who I really worry about is the young E1 or E2 (or their spouse) who is looking for help and is turned off or doesn't ask the question that makes a huge difference in their outcome because of hurdles I have imposed.

They also hammer users to use the search function. Don't do these and the new user will feel the wrath. Peb forum could benefit from requiring the first post to answer any number of questions to include branch of service, diagnosis, etc.
I have thought about this a lot, too. And, I agree in principle. But, like my comment above, I worry about folks not bothering and/or having disabilities or a lack of the process overall to even be able to or know what or how to search on. The site would definitely be better if folks used the search, did their "homework" and did not ask questions that have been answered dozens or hundreds of times. But, a lot won't and I worry about missing the point of the site- to help those who need help and being hardcore about hammering folks for not reading and doing the work to help themselves. I am not at all sure that I have hit the right equilibrium. If there are some thoughts or suggestions that can help resolve this problem, I am all ears. But, I am not sure how I can enforce this idea without losing the opportunity to help folks. This is probably one of the biggest challenges here.

I think posting a short bio with certain requirements as the first post should become standard. I would have a lot more patience explaining to an E3 with 2-3 years in an in depth explanation of IDES than I would if I were explaining it to a COL with 24 years in who should know much more. Asking someone to post thier rank, branch of service, unfitting diagnosis, years of service would be a minimum starting point. I can't tell you how many times I had to read and reread a post because someone just said they were undergoing a MEB and were an E6, and no branch. An AF E6 vs USMC E6 will have different acronyms, high year tenure, different timelines and a different process altogether. Yet if they don't post something as simple as branch of service, I have to dig around and try and figure it out.
Same comments as above. I probably could institute a simple form to answer many questions....but, then again, I run up against a common concern that folks have that they will provide identifying information and their MEB/PEB and/or command will read their posts and know who they are. (I think this type of concern is overblown....very rarely do I think this site is monitored and I doubt it would be an issue....but, if it keeps folks from registering and posting questions, I have a problem).
Jason I agree that if you stay here long enough you will see the same questions over and over. I believe this is mainly because people are to lazy and want people to find the aers for them and then tell them.
Yes...many answers are readily available if folks would just look. BUT- I am also sensitive to the fact that many of those who visit or come here for answers may not understand the issues at all and/or may be suffering from disabilities that make forcing them to find it or research it on their own will just result in their not doing so and not getting the help they need. It is a logic trap.

Make the title of your post specific to your issue. I pick and choose which post to read based on the title. Ambiguous titles such as "need help" "what do you think" and "my situation" give me no insight as to your specific issue and have a greater chance of being passed over as I pick which post I have time to read and respond to. If you list your specific condition, cause, problem in the title of your post, those with expertise in those areas are more likely to pick up on and respond to your post.

Yes!! This is always true- the more you provide in details, the more likely you can get help and the more specific you are, the more likely folks will look at your post and respond with helpful input.

Thanks folks!

An additional point or issue that figuratively tortures me and keeps me awake at night is whether the layout and organization of the forum is poor or less than ideal. I may have too many subforums. For example, now, there is a whole category and forum of reserve component issues that are separate from the active duty forums for the same components. I am not sure if this is helpful or if it is redundant (and all services, including reserve components, should be under the same Service forum). On one hand, I think it is easier to find issues by having many subforums; but, I may be wrong and it is more convenient/easier for those who are not inclined to "drill down" to the specific issues to have all services issues and posts covered under one common "heading."

Jason, first of all thank you for having this forum. I think the way you have it broke down is just perfect that way it could be driven down to specifics by category and by branches.

An additional point or issue that figuratively tortures me and keeps me awake at night is whether the layout and organization of the forum is poor or less than ideal. I may have too many subforums. For example, now, there is a whole category and forum of reserve component issues that are separate from the active duty forums for the same components. I am not sure if this is helpful or if it is redundant (and all services, including reserve components, should be under the same Service forum). On one hand, I think it is easier to find issues by having many subforums; but, I may be wrong and it is more convenient/easier for those who are not inclined to "drill down" to the specific issues to have all services issues and posts covered under one common "heading."

I do believe for me the forum is set up nicely and easy to navigate. From some others I have gotten that sometimes, since they really don't know what or where their issue lies, people don't understand or get confused as to which one do thy ask a particular question to or go for answers. I have seen all different types of questions in each forum so that's why I say it may be hard for some to figure it out due to them just not knowing where the condition lies. But for me all in all you have done a great job with this site and I thank you for it because with out it I would of been lost most of my time.

Jason, first off thank you and to everyone that contributes on here. This has saved my butt and has given me a place to tell my Soldiers where to go for assistance in the IDES process. This site has given some much insight that no one else could possibly give.
On the topic of the services it's my understanding as a Army National Guardsmen that soon as my IDES was initiated everything is placed into the Army lane. Meaning that the National Guard has no jurisdiction or power to do anything with me or my case until it is gone through the IDES for a determination. I think it is a great thing having an Army topic and a Army National Guard topic as it does give specific information to Soldiers within the two components. What is really different is for any National Guardsmen that is an MDAY. The Army National Guard forum seems to give them answers to their questions as them not being on active duty. Gives them a great knowledge management forum. I'm trying to take care of my Soldiers best as I can in this process. I have a white paper I'm typing as a checklist so to say so that anyone behind me will have a road map for the IDES. My state was no help and my PEBLO is less than bottom 1/3. But again without me finding this forum when I did a search online for PEB I'd be stressed out and lost in the sauce. Thank you all for your knowledge and for your service.

If admin controls allow it, I bet even a short 24hr freeze on making a new thread would cut down on a lot of what you're seeing. If you made a new account, tried to post, and were told you have to wait 24hrs to create a thread but you can use the search function to likely find your answer, many probably would.

With that said, when you're brand new to IDES, it's a whole new list of terms and acronyms. You don't know what you don't know, and you can't search acronyms that mean nothing to you. Hell, I'm now medically retired and there is a 3 month part of my timeline that I still don't understand.

I definitely think there are multiple ways of dealing with newbie/repeat posts. It's the nature of this forum, however, that makes me recommend caution on the off chance a new implementation prevents someone from getting help.

PEB FORUM Members, folks who follow the forum, and everyone else who reads this:

Just some thoughts that I want to share.

I am going to post a more detailed post about my thoughts on this, but, I want to share this as a summary or short collection of points that I think folks should consider when reading posts on the forum.
  1. The forum has been here for many years. Many of the points and issues that are common to many folks have been discussed again and again. I have strived to often still respond to posts, questions and issues with responses to issues that have been covered many times over in the past. However, I must admit, after many years of addressing similar issues, posts and questions, I sometimes don't answer questions that I have addressed many times. This is not because I don't care. There are many reasons for this....knowing that many of the answers to the common issues have been addressed (again, and again, and again), I know that they can be found by searching the forums. And, I must admit, again, that I have less interest in repeating myself many times over. I want to help anyone I can. But, I also think that folks who just join, post a question and don't bother to search what has been addressed many times are in some respects taking advantage. There is a search function. Use it. (That said, I have several posts that I am looking forwarding to making that will address some major substantive issues).
  2. Folks who post and have questions are best served by providing full details and actually asking a relevant question. Rants (inasmuch as the relate to your own situation) are okay. Part of the point of this forum is to have a place to vent, express frustration, and to have a place to just discuss things. That is fine and a reason for our forum. That said, providing only partial or cryptic details will not likely garner good or accurate responses.
  3. Nastiness, overly political or vitriolic comments are not welcome. Don't agree with policies? Fine. Wish things were different (I often do), fine. Take out your disagreements, piss or angst on others (especially others you "think" should not get or are not deserving of benefits or support)? Wrong place for that, and you will find your time here to be short and limited.
  4. Spam. Not tolerated, ever.
  5. Questions or comments about my legal services, representation or if "I can help." This is one of my most frustrating issues. I did not set this site up to get clients. I am not looking to get clients through this site. That said, I am an attorney, my practice is focused on this area of law and I rely on being a paid civilian attorney to do things like pay my bills, live, earn and work. I will not and do not try to convince people to use any civilian attorney, much less me, to represent them. Often times, I think folks may benefit from further representation. But, when folks "wonder" if I can help them, post about maybe looking to retain my services, or post questions that are kind of "hooks" in getting me to post based on "maybe" wanting to retain my services, I don't care for it much. If you need legal representation and are interested in my services, contact me at my professional website or ask (once) how to reach me and let it be that. Way too often, I see posts that hem and haw about issues, including seeking representation. I don't and won't provide legal representation via my posts here on the forum. I will only give my thoughts, inputs and seek to help folks to the extent I can. If you need a lawyer, get one.
  6. Timelines. This issue is also sometimes frustrating. Cases are all different, depend on the circumstances of each case, and are specific to each members case. That said, I think it is fine to discuss and question each other about case timelines and to post and view timelines. Just know, that I personally won't comment often on timeline posts and only point out that sometimes cases move quickly and sometimes they move slowly. (I have seen HUGE variances in timelines, from relatively quick decisions made and sometimes very long timelines until decisions are made). Feel free to ask and discuss. Just know that I will rarely have much input past what I have already posted on the subject and that input is rarely very helpful. Again, I have seen cases resolve relatively quickly and I have seen cases take years to resolve. That said, be acutely aware that in some cases, moving quickly (but, more often, especially in EPTS cases and or in cases where reaching 20 years of service is an issue) timelines are important. Taking steps that impact timelines can be an important issue in how you address your case.
  7. Understand the impact of timelines on your case. This is also related to my "global" view of cases, in that you should understand all of the issues, whether time impacts your case and what steps you should take to maximize your earned compensation and benefits.
  8. Also, understand that getting a good result can take a long time. If you have no appetite or interest in fighting issues that take fighting out, then appeals may be wasted. I have had cases take many years, sometimes, seven or eight years or more to get a final good results. I have had cases that were decades old that have gotten ultimate good results. That it took so long to get a good result is a shame. But, sometimes, it takes a long time to get a fair and good result. (On the other hand, I have cases resolve in a very short time frame, in days rather than weeks).
  9. It is almost always better to fight issues earlier than later.
  10. In the vast majority of cases I review, it is possible and/or likely to get a better result than initially found. Usually, on review of the facts and circumstances of a case, it is possible to see whether a better result is possibly in the offing.
  11. I have recently seen some good progress in getting overall favorable results from the military in disability evaluation cases. I am not ready to state that things are "good" or are uniformly better. Still, things seem to be incrementally better for claimants.
  12. Often, even with a good case that should be resolved at the PEB level, it takes appeals that are successfully fought out to ascertain the level of benefits that should ultimately assigned. This means that it may take some appeals to win in cases that should be won. That said, I have seen and dealt with cases that should have resulted in a "win" that ultimately lost. There are no guarantees possible as to what cases will ultimately prevail. However, what is clear is that by accepting a poor outcome or not fighting for a better outcome, you will only get what is "given."
  13. Cases are not done until they are done. Folks should always consider and seek to gather additional evidence in their case even after their MEB or PEB or later appeal is "concluded." Later evidence may not be the "best" evidence, but, in some cases, can make the difference. Don't quit.

I have much more that I can write and try to distill down for folks. (Some of which I have already written and/or addressed in earlier posts). I hope this post has helped.

I just wanted to say Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of your help and advice!! I am done with my Meb/Peb and was rated 80% service-connected thru the VA and 50% thru DoD and placed on Permanent Retired List! I'm currently just waiting on orders to finish out-processing from the military! SFL-TAP is a great asset for anyone getting out the military!! Take care and God Bless! If I can help any other Army National Guard soldiers thru the meb/peb process, please drop me a line and I'll do my best to help you!

Thanks everyone for your input and for sharing your helpful experiences. I will touch on some of my points in the following responses. This won't be the end of the discussion, nor will it likely be the catalyst for change...any change here will be as the result of many issues.

If admin controls allow it, I bet even a short 24hr freeze on making a new thread would cut down on a lot of what you're seeing. If you made a new account, tried to post, and were told you have to wait 24hrs to create a thread but you can use the search function to likely find your answer, many probably would.

These are good and valid points, but, I don't know if the suggestions fix or changes anything. Bottom line, I think there should be a better fix on the sites/"my" end, than putting it on new members. But, all of the issues are interrelated.

I definitely think there are multiple ways of dealing with newbie/repeat posts. It's the nature of this forum, however, that makes me recommend caution on the off chance a new implementation prevents someone from getting help.

YES! I constantly weigh, in thinking about "fixing things" my ultimate goal in providing information and assistance to folks. Don't know if it is just sentiment, sympathy, or something else, but, my gut instinct is to lean towards helping lower enlisted folks (who probably need and would benefit more from help) over more senior folks. (Weird thing, though, is that higher ranked enlisted and officers or those with a lot of time in service...which generally captures both of the preceding) generally, benefit more from any help or information found on this site.

I just wanted to say Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of your help and advice!! I am done with my Meb/Peb and was rated 80% service-connected thru the VA and 50% thru DoD and placed on Permanent Retired List!

You're welcome and CONGRATULATIONS!! Enjoy your well-earned retirement and all that follows in life!!!

If I can help any other Army National Guard soldiers thru the meb/peb process, please drop me a line and I'll do my best to help you!

Thanks! And, please do drop by here from time to time to share whatever you can. Pay it forward!!

Jason, as well as the other that help with posting answers, Thank You for creating this forum. You have done me and many, many others a great service. It is a Great source of information.

After flying for the Army for 39 years, with 7 deployments in 4 conflicts, I became injured and after being told that I was not considered fit or able to continue flying, my world seemed to be crashing.
Your Forum was an oasis of much needed information and great advice, giving me a very good idea of the IDES process, as well as all the other gobbledygook the Docs and Admin types were telling me.

In the end, as much as I hated not to be able to put on my flight suit and continue doing what I loved to do, I was able to navigate thru the IDES process, with your help and information, and ended up being Retired at 100DoD/100VA. I would trade it all for being whole again, but realize that is not an open choice.

Please accept the sincere thanks from this old CW4 Warrior, for what you have created and done for us all!