Special monthly compensation and rating change

Donandkisha1

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello guys I hope you can help me. I filed my claim before I was medically discharged . At the time my ratings were 100 VA/ 20 dod. I had a few things that were 50% or higher. Well my doctor told me to asked for increase for the medical condition rated 20 percent . Well I just got their decision back and they have made my 20 percent rating 100 percent just by itself and also approved me for Special Monthly Compensation as well. They say my special monthly compensation start date is May 1, 2018. It’s says amount of monthly entitlement is 3,494.51. My question is will I get back pay for my special monthly compensation start from May 1, 2018 until now and is this amount of 3,494.51 will I get that monthly . Also no that my rating for my disability that was the reason for my medical board the DOD and VA only gave me a rating of 20% and now it has been upgraded to 100 percent. What benefits do I get now. What extra do I get that so don’t already have. And yes I’m P&T disabled

1. There are different SMCs. It sounds like you have been awarded SMC-S which replaces 100% (and is more).

2. Your new VA award letter shows the effective date of the SMC. If you previously received VA compensation for the retroactive period, you would receive the difference between the two. The award letter should show old and new rates and amounts unpaid at time of award.

3. The rates often change 1 December of certain years via COLA.

4. IF you begin to receive DoD Retired Pay, it must be reduced (waived) by the amount of VA compensation received. It is unclear whether you applied for and received a correction to military records . I believe that only your VA status has changed.

Ron

Last edited:
Hello, with the SMC it shows the amount of 3494 starting on May 1,2018. I have never gotten SMC before. The award letter also shows my monthly Va Compensation but it’s shows an extra 300.00 with the effective date Dec 1,2018. So I was wondering with the SMC will I get that ever month? Will I get pay for it since the date says May 1,2018. I need to know the next step. You said something about DoD retirement pay. How do I apply for that or does that happen automatically? How do I apply to get my military record corrected. I have always been 100 percent with the VA since I been out. I have been 20 percent DoD. I know this is a lot but I’m confused a lot... lol sorry

Hello, with the SMC it shows the amount of 3494 starting on May 1,2018. I have never gotten SMC before. The award letter also shows my monthly Va Compensation but it’s shows an extra 300.00 with the effective date Dec 1,2018. So I was wondering with the SMC will I get that ever month? Will I get pay for it since the date says May 1,2018. I need to know the next step. You said something about DoD retirement pay. How do I apply for that or does that happen automatically? How do I apply to get my military record corrected. I have always been 100 percent with the VA since I been out. I have been 20 percent DoD. I know this is a lot but I’m confused a lot... lol sorry
There are more than one SMCs that are usually paid each month.

I receive SMC-K which adds about $106 to other compensation received.
I also receive SMC-S which replaces 100% with a higher rate, around $300 or so more; I have not reviewed my account recently.

1 December 2018 was the most recent COLA change.

Ron

So my question is since it had an amount of 3494 for SMC would I receive back pay for it and how can I try to get my DoD retirement pay so I can get TRICare for life. If you know this info this would be amazing. Thanks

So my question is since it had an amount of 3494 for SMC would I receive back pay for it and how can I try to get my DoD retirement pay so I can get TRICare for life. If you know this info this would be amazing. Thanks
Your award letter (not eBenefits letter) will have that info.

You should receive the difference between the old and new rates from AT LEAST 1 December 2018. However, since that was the COLA increase date, your VA award letter might show an earlier effective date.

If you do not currently have a retirement you would have to apply for a correction to military records. Chaplaincharlie and others are better qualified to answer those type questions.

Ron

Not that’s what my award letter says I have t looked at Ebenefits in a very long time actually. I added a pic of the award letter as well. Sorry I should of done that before. How can I chat with Chaplaincharlie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
Not that’s what my award letter says I have t looked at Ebenefits in a very long time actually. I added a pic of the award letter as well. Sorry I should of done that before. How can I chat with Chaplaincharlie
Your award letter shows an effective date of 1 May 2018 and a new rate due to COLA 1 December 2018.

Retro pay (the difference): From 1 May 2018.

Post your other questions in the appropriate forum or send a message to @chaplaincharlie . He likely prefers the open forum avenue. Others can help too...

Help with correction to military records:

@Jason Perry on this site

NVLSP LINK <—- (The National Veterans Legal Services Program provides free legal representation to veterans...)

Ron

Last edited:
If you appealed your rating, you get back pay to the original filing date. If filed a new claim you get back paid to the date of the original claim.

How much time elapsed from the date of your separation from the military to the date you filed the claim that resulted in 100% VA?