Spine - My Timeline

Berazil

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey everyone here is my timeline so far. Navy active duty 8 years in. Two referred conditions DDD and Knee Osteoarthritis. 7 other conditions on the VA side.
13FEB17 C4 - C7 Decompression and Spinal Fusion.
21NOV17 MEB Referral submitted.
21NOV17 Met with PEBLO.
23NOV17 Briefing with VA representative.
27NOV17 Briefing with attorney.
19DEC17 C&P exams initiated.
09JAN18 C&P exams completed.
11JAN18 C&P results and NARSUM received
COC dropped the ball and didn't submit NMA to PEBLO.
19JAN18 NMA received.
25JAN18 Rebuttal to have Radiculopathy added to NARSUM as a separate condition submitted by the attorney.

I'd like to have this process completed by May/June to get enrolled in school in time for fall semester. I appreciate all the help I have received from members of this forum.

I hope the rest of the process goes quickly for you. Fall classes sounds reasonable given how far along you are already, baring no hiccups.

My NARSUM rebuttal to have radiculopathy added to my referred conditiond was submitted on Jan 25th and after waiting for weeks I finally called the PEBLO to check on the status and she camly "oh yeah your package was submitted to PEB on Feb 1st" I was confused and frustrated to say the least. She emailed me the PCM response and he agreed that I have been diagosed with radiculopathy and that he has noted that on the NARSUM. So the rebuttal letter and the doc response were added to my package but a new NARSUM was not created. Today I called the PEB and spoke with an extremely helpful representative. He looked my information up and told me my package was submitted to the VA for ratings on February 16th (2 - 4 weeks turn around) and will be back to PEB for quality audit ( 2 - 4 week turn around) and then forwarded to my PEBLO beginning of April. So I got more information from this guy in 5 minutes than I have from my PEBLO. Anyways I have an "Unfit" finding so its just a waiting game to find out about my ratings.
21NOV17 Met with PEBLO.
19JAN18 NMA received.
25JAN18 Rebuttal to have Radiculopathy added to NARSUM as a separate condition submitted by the attorney.
01FEB Package submitted to PEFEB
05 FEB PEB received package
16 FEB Unfit finding package forwarded to the VA for ratings.

Hey Berazil, just wanted to tell you I also had a C4-C7 decompression and fusion! Sounds like you’ve got this all under control but let me know if you have questions about ratings.

Hey MN4, are you done with the process? I'm expecting at least 30% DOD (Cervical flexion 15°) I'm not sure if my Radiculopathy will be rated separately or not. Knee Arthritis was my second refered condition and it could possibly get me another 10%. How was your experience going thru the process?

I am done, I signed my findings and now I'm just waiting on a sep message/orders. My ROM and radiculopathy was rated at 40% from the DoD (I had the same ROM as you). Overall it wasn't too bad, except that my paperwork got hung up at some point and it didn't get identified till I called around and asked questions. Sounds like you're through the hardest part; once I got ratings back it was fairly simple. Good luck to you with the ratings!

I am done, I signed my findings and now I'm just waiting on a sep message/orders. My ROM and radiculopathy was rated at 40% from the DoD (I had the same ROM as you). Overall it wasn't too bad, except that my paperwork got hung up at some point and it didn't get identified till I called around and asked questions. Sounds like you're through the hardest part; once I got ratings back it was fairly simple. Good luck to you with the ratings!
How long did you wait from when the va was done to when you signed your findings?

Not long, my ebenefits showed a historical case and I got a call about my findings three days later. I will say after the PEB discovered my case was held up, it seemed to get expedited through the rest of the process. Sounds like it usually takes a bit longer than that.

I am in the same boat as you with a spine injury with radiculopathy but I submitted in 11Jan18 and it went back to the PEB for q/a on 15Feb and it still hasn't been finished. My estimated completion date was October to January and just recently dropped to June to September.
My VA rep refuses to give me the proposed rating though and says to wait for my peblo to contact me with findings. I called the peb line and they said q/a was supposed to take between 2 and 4 weeks and now its pasted 5 weeks.
However, I also claimed a lot of other things for the VA portion.

So I got my results yesterday but they actually finished on 22Mar (I had called 21Mar for my last update). Portsmouth is weeks behind on calling people because they do not have an attorney available.
40% DoD TDRL and 70% VA.
They said my radiculopathy was not unfitting though and it was only rated 20%.
I decided not to fight it because I will still get medical.
Good luck on your PEB.

So I got my results yesterday but they actually finished on 22Mar (I had called 21Mar for my last update). Portsmouth is weeks behind on calling people because they do not have an attorney available.
40% DoD TDRL and 70% VA.
They said my radiculopathy was not unfitting though and it was only rated 20%.
I decided not to fight it because I will still get medical.
Good luck on your PEB.

Congrats on your proposed ratings. My attorney believes I should be getting at least 30% DOD and 70% VA. As long as I'm 30 DOD I will be ok with it. I'm just ready to turn the page and move on. I check my ebenefits every day but it still says preparation for decision.

Timeline update:

21NOV17 Met with PEBLO.
19JAN18 NMA received.
02 MAR Ebenefits claim status changed to "Preparation for decision"
29 MAR Ebenefits claim status changed to " Pending decision approval"

Timeline update:

21NOV17 Met with PEBLO.
19JAN18 NMA received.
02 APR Ebenefits updated to "Complete - Decision notification sent"

I haven't been able to get a hold of my PLEBO so I called the (703) 784-9308 to see if they could fax my ratings but the rep. was of no help. I'm very anxious to find out my DOD/VA ratings. Any suggestions?

I just went to the PEB office and they had my results. Normally they are supposed to call you to set up an appointment but it's not like they will turn you away if you just walk in.

I have a question in regards to regular Retirement vs. MEB, I had a C5 - C7 Decompression and Spinal Fusion last month and will also need a Fusion on L5-S1 after my recovery later on this year. I will hit my 20 yrs mark in September of this year and was originally planning on doing at least one more year before I retire. As of right now nobody in my CoC has even mentioned a MEB but of course I know its in the cards. I wonder what would be more beneficial for me to just drop my regular retirement if I get notified any any point in the future that I will get recommended for a MEB? I was also advised by my BH provider that she would put me on Temp. Profiles for my PTSD in case of a MEB..its all confusing, body is breaking down and never expected that I would end up in this situation at the end of my career.

Just to add to my previous post,

I am concerned that if my BH provider issues me the Profile for my PTSD before the MEB process begins and would be found fit for duty for my back that I might be founght unfit for the PTSD...if that makes sense. At the same time, leaving my mental condition out of the MEB process would also hurt me, my counselor strongly recommended the profile to me this week to make my condition and severity as well as the historical timeline stronger. Again, I am not going through MEB yet, maybe never will...but it does make me thing, nervouse, and anxious.

Timeline update:
So finally got my findings back.

PDRL DOD 30% VA 60% I'm very excited about it but surprised that five of my conditions were not considered service connected. I've been active duty Navy for over 8 years.

Tomorrow I have a phone conference with the disability attorney to go over the findings. My VA rating was 62% and rounded to 60%. Another condition at 10% will bump my combined VA rating over 65% and rounded to 70%. Should I try to ask the VA to reconsider the not service connected conditions now or wait until I'm out of the Navy?

Also I was in Great Lakes last week for Transition GPS classes and during my PHA my PCM told me my cholesterol is high, I have signs of mild PTSD and my blood pressure has been in the 140/90 range for the the last two times I saw him (2 EKGs on in November and one last week.) Actually my blood pressure has been in that range since my spine fusion Feb 2017.

I want to thank all the members that have given me inputs in the past. This forum is amazing!

21NOV17 Met with PEBLO.
19JAN18 NMA received.
24 APR Findings received PDRL DOD 30% VA 60%

Timeline update:
So finally got my findings back.

PDRL DOD 30% VA 60% I'm very excited about it but surprised that five of my conditions were not considered service connected. I've been active duty Navy for over 8 years.

Tomorrow I have a phone conference with the disability attorney to go over the findings. My VA rating was 62% and rounded to 60%. Another condition at 10% will bump my combined VA rating over 65% and rounded to 70%. Should I try to ask the VA to reconsider the not service connected conditions now or wait until I'm out of the Navy?

Also I was in Great Lakes last week for Transition GPS classes and during my PHA my PCM told me my cholesterol is high, I have signs of mild PTSD and my blood pressure has been in the 140/90 range for the the last two times I saw him (2 EKGs on in November and one last week.) Actually my blood pressure has been in that range since my spine fusion Feb 2017.

I want to thank all the members that have given me inputs in the past. This forum is amazing!

21NOV17 Met with PEBLO.
19JAN18 NMA received.

Attachments

• 20180425_121048.jpg
    20180425_121048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 20180425_121048.jpg
    20180425_121048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Update as of May 21st:
Contesting findings that knee osteoarthritis is not service related and bilateral radiculopathy is not unfitting or contribute to unfitting condition.

I got a new letter from my Surgeon listing my spine conditions (Radiculopathy included) that he believes limit my hability to continue military service.

I also got a letter from my Ortho listing my limitations regarding my knee osteoarthritis.

Recent PHA and PRT waiver completed by PCM due to Spine condition and knee osteoarthritis.

I plan on discussing the 8 year rule with my assigned attorney specifically for the not service related finding for knee osteoarthritis. I'm at 8 years and 4 months of active duty service and the osteoarthritis diagnose was determined in 2017 while being treated after a knee injury while at work.
Any advices or inputs are appreciated.

21NOV17 Met with PEBLO.
19JAN18 NMA received.
18 MAY FPEB scheduled for July 10th.