SSDI, did anyone explain military lingo?

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Got my hearing coming up Mar. 4th. I think I have a pretty strong case, but I wanted to ask something.

Did any one type up a letter or memo explaining military lingo? Like I just got my SCAADL form signed by the doctors, with an aid level of 18(medium), and I was put on quarters 3 times jan-feb and the other times are in my records all ready sent. I have to wonder if civilian judges/reviewers etc. Just do not understand military lingo and what it actually means to be put on Quarters, or convalescent leave or what the stuff on the 469(profile) actually means, Like maybe they think it is just something they always do and not something that is avoided at all costs.

I mean I included my last 2 and current profiles that included 6hr then 4 hour the last 2 duty days, and all of the massive limitations to include no bending/stooping/crawling sitting for >1hr no standing >15 min, no lifting 10lbs etc. It is not like they hand those out at formation, yet they still denied me twice and now I have to prove what the doctors mean when they do that stuff.

You will get a chance to speak. Just use words like "bedrest" instead of quarters. Dumb it down for them. But be cautious in pointing out limitations like they said you can only work 6 or 4 hour days as that says you can work. Instead point out that your restrictions force you to go home or to get medical treatment every day or week for so many hours.

You will get a chance to speak. Just use words like "bedrest" instead of quarters. Dumb it down for them. But be cautious in pointing out limitations like they said you can only work 6 or 4 hour days as that says you can work. Instead point out that your restrictions force you to go home or to get medical treatment every day or week for so many hours.

Yeah, im sure the lawyer will go over it with me and such, but the NCO in me says to always be prepared. and yes explaining the 4hr duty limitation is easy, because it was done because they cannot put me on home awaiting orders yet, and 4hrs is the minimum by law to be there to count as a duty day. between medications and pain if im not reclined and sedated after a few hours out then the misery starts.

In my hearing I really did not have to say anything of substance. It was me, my lawyer and the Admininstrative Law Judge.

The SSA had three vocational physicians on stand by to testify by phone, they were given the packet in advance to base their opinion on.

The only thing I had to state to the ALJ was my name, and identifying information, That I was was currently on active duty undergoing a medical evaluation board and the date that I was no longer able to perform SGA.

The first vocation physician was sworn in over the phone then he proceeded to state that in his opinion he felt I was able to perform SGA, he cited the behavioral health evaluation from JBLM.
My attorney challenged his opinion and directed him to my C&P evaluation and the ALJ thanked him for his time.

The second vocation physician was sworn in and she asked if in his opinion I was able to perform SGA, he stated no and gave his reasoning from my medical file. The ALJ then thanked him for his time.

The ALJ then found in my favor, stated the effected award date and let me know I would get a written decision in the mail. The whole process took maybe 5 minutes from start to finish.

really hope mine goes as smoothly.

Same; I was reading your response and imagining it being that easy for me! And of course Twitch! @TSgt Twitch I am actually getting 2 seperate EMG's done tuesday and wednesday for additional evidence, as well as I had an MRI done last week; Good information to have all together, but hopefully it will help in the SSDI case; Did you get any special evidence besides what you listed?

Same; I was reading your response and imagining it being that easy for me! And of course Twitch! @TSgt Twitch I am actually getting 2 seperate EMG's done tuesday and wednesday for additional evidence, as well as I had an MRI done last week; Good information to have all together, but hopefully it will help in the SSDI case; Did you get any special evidence besides what you listed?

My evidence, besides medical records;
4-5 RFC (residual functional capacity reports), each one has every block to the left except 3 have the last block 1 to the right and 1 has it just 1 in from the right.

2.5 years worth of profiles showing 6 hr duty days (6 months) the rest 4 hr duty days, no stooping/kneeling/crawling/driving gov's/no lifting >10/no pushing against resistance >20 or >40/no standing >15min/sitting >1hr/no wear of military footwear/no wear of IBE/no operating machinery/no work on flightline/no walking >100yds etc.

2 letters of reference stating my work ethic before and after my disability, explaing that even on 4hr days I still miss 6-8 days a month on top of medical appts.

quarters slips throughout the period but mostly 3 days in nov/2 in dec/8 in Jan/2 in feb of this year.
doctors notes for 5 days bed rest after injections x2

and now my SCAADL paperwork signed stating I need moderate/medium level of assistance with activities of daily living.

also my VA c/p exam, mri's of every major joint group/ surgerical notes/ surgical explanation that my fasciotomy was in fact a "limb salvage" operation. evidence of my propesity to bleed out (transfusions needed during hip replacement and the following emergency surgery and multiples for the following 3 days).

Also in my SSDI notes, the doctors all ready stated that I cannot return to any of my previous employment and agreement that I have not been performing SGA since my claim date.

So even if I am denied which I feel I have a strong case, I will file for the closed period of my original claim date and now. I really hope I have my percentages back by court, because my default rating should be at least 80%-90%
( based on the "if this condition exists it equals this % and the ROM measurements for my neck and back) its the last 5-15% thats based on "subjective" evidence and rating criteria.

Wow.....thats a TON of evidence.....

And you got the good judge....I dont have half that evidence and I got the stickler judge...wanna trade!?!?! I am keeping you in my mind brother, I am crossing my fingers for the both of us when the day comes!

yeah they thing that pisses me off;

the first 1.4 years of profiles, 2 of the rfc's, most of the medical records, and 1 of the supervisors letters where in the original application. I really just think 1 or 2 of a few things caused my denial.

1. I only "claimed" the 3 or 4 major conditions, so maybe they did not look at everything
2. they really hate approving anyone under age 45-50 in the state of Oklahoma (which to be honest I chose to retire here because of it being a financially red state, so my bad lol)
3. My hip surgeon is for lack of a better word a douche, I could tell him im in extreme pain and suffering everyday, and look at the notes he writes a week later and they say "no complaints, patient is healing well", So i kinda messed up and just quit complaining to him, I go in, tell him everything is the same and everything is being taken care of by my pain management doctor. (this is the same surgeon that after the hip replacement I went to his office 3 times and called 5-6 times and he said the swelling/redness/pain were all normal, while at the same time a vein was pouring blood into my thigh cavity and killing my tissue and ultimately 2.8 liters of blood built up enough pressure to rip my IT band and fascia from pelvis to knee and taking out huge amount of muscle/ligament/tendon/nerce tissue in the process, So whereas he is a great surgeon, aftercare and bedside manor is da pits)