SSDI *Sticky Request*

klamsnacks

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Jason,

I was just searching through the forums and noticed a lot of SSDI threads, and much of the same information is passed along but sometimes not immediately. So a lot of new threads started, with same postings. Thought maybe we could get this post sticky'd or a new SSDI thread under other benefits so folks know exactly where to go and find out information about Social Security benefits.

Main Site for wounded warriors can be found here - http://www.ssa.gov/woundedwarriors/

The main publication from Social Security Administration can be found here (pub name for reference if SSA doesn't know what to look at when dealing with them): SSA Pub. No 05-10030 - http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10030.pdf

And a really great "webinar" as it's titled, video and power point presentation that run concurrently, explaining in detail exactly what the benefits and requirements are and how to apply for these can be found here * http://ssa.yorkcast.com/webcast/Viewer/?peid=f233116d4b93467d86d408b08b78655c

* I did find a caveat to the the webinar being I was only able to get it to play properly in Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser - chrome would not work, and did not try any others.

Hope this information helps clarify things with regard to SSDI.

v/r
Klam

Jason,

I was just searching through the forums and noticed a lot of SSDI threads, and much of the same information is passed along but sometimes not immediately. So a lot of new threads started, with same postings. Thought maybe we could get this post sticky'd or a new SSDI thread under other benefits so folks know exactly where to go and find out information about Social Security benefits.

Main Site for wounded warriors can be found here - http://www.ssa.gov/woundedwarriors/

The main publication from Social Security Administration can be found here (pub name for reference if SSA doesn't know what to look at when dealing with them): SSA Pub. No 05-10030 - http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10030.pdf

And a really great "webinar" as it's titled, video and power point presentation that run concurrently, explaining in detail exactly what the benefits and requirements are and how to apply for these can be found here * http://ssa.yorkcast.com/webcast/Viewer/?peid=f233116d4b93467d86d408b08b78655c

* I did find a caveat to the the webinar being I was only able to get it to play properly in Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser - chrome would not work, and did not try any others.

Hope this information helps clarify things with regard to SSDI.

v/r
Klam

I agree Klamsnacks... Would eliminated melding together issues..... ;)

Any idea how early you can apply for the benefit? Husband just got his decision back- 100% from the VA for bipolar 1 and PTSD, both of which are on the list of conditions. I'd like to get rolling on the application as I know it can take a while to get through the process.

And just to add to the thread- here's the Blue Book they'll use to determine if your condition is eligible.

Also- the online application isn't available during the weekend days or holidays. I have no idea why.

Any idea how early you can apply for the benefit? Husband just got his decision back- 100% from the VA for bipolar 1 and PTSD, both of which are on the list of conditions. I'd like to get rolling on the application as I know it can take a while to get through the process.

And just to add to the thread- here's the Blue Book they'll use to determine if your condition is eligible.

If you go to the websites linked and read the publication, they're explicit in not waiting to apply, especially if you meet their criteria. I'm still active duty and pending Decision from Secretary of Air Force and applied back towards the end of May. You can apply when your condition, and it helps if you know your dates exactly, when where you unable to work.

Stick-ified!

Thanks Klam! I'm asking all these questions on behalf of my husband, who hates forums. :p I'm the paperwork person anyway, so I'll be doing up the application. I'll start on it Monday. Good thing I kept all the copies of medical records and MEB paperwork (from the multiple MEBs). I'm hoping the pay will kick in right around the time terminal leave ends.

You can apply online or someone at the soldier's and family assistance center can help you. I recommend the SAF.

soon as possible, my PEBLO is the one that told me to apply.

Where can we go to find out information about appealing after a denial?

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Try the following URL for additional information:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-3441.html

Otherwise, when the SSA makes a decision on your claim, they shall send a letter explaining their decision. If you do not agree with the SSA decision, you can appeal, that is, ask the SSA to look at your case again.

If you applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits and were denied for medical reasons, you may request an appeal online.

If you do not wish to appeal the SSA decision online, then you can submit the following:

• Form SSA-3441, Disability Report - Appeal;

• Form SSA-827, Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration;

• One of these two forms:
  • Form SSA-561, Request for Reconsideration, if you are requesting a reconsideration of your claim;
  • OR
  • Form HA-501, Request for Hearing by Administrative Law Judge, if you are requesting a hearing.
To that extent, the letter you should have received from the SSA should inform you whether you should request a reconsideration or a hearing.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I am planning on getting a local attorney to handle this for me. If I learn anything useful, I will start a new thread about this.

Where can we go to find out information about appealing after a denial?

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Try the following URL for additional information:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-3441.html

Otherwise, when the SSA makes a decision on your claim, they shall send a letter explaining their decision. If you do not agree with the SSA decision, you can appeal, that is, ask the SSA to look at your case again.

If you applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits and were denied for medical reasons, you may request an appeal online.

If you do not wish to appeal the SSA decision online, then you can submit the following:

• Form SSA-3441, Disability Report - Appeal;

• Form SSA-827, Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration;

• One of these two forms:
  • Form SSA-561, Request for Reconsideration, if you are requesting a reconsideration of your claim;
  • OR
  • Form HA-501, Request for Hearing by Administrative Law Judge, if you are requesting a hearing.
To that extent, the letter you should have received from the SSA should inform you whether you should request a reconsideration or a hearing.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thank you for the information. I am planning on getting a local attorney to handle this for me. If I learn anything useful, I will start a new thread about this.

You are welcome, indeed! :)

Good deal, and I hope you receive the "disabled" determination for award of SSA SSDI disability compensation benefits soon.

Best Wishes!

I definitely will request the assistance of someone more educated and experienced in this process than I. Not just because I'm not, but my mind is not what it used to be. That is another thing that really bothers me. Even though that some of us can handle our own financial situations, or however they state it, some of us still are not totally able to cognitively process some of this stuff in order to get awarded what we feel that we should. Therefore, they pull a slicky on us.

Currently Army active duty and i just received my separation date for feb. is there someone on base that i can go to, that would be able to help me out with this process? Would it be the barracks lawyers? I’d appreciate it if can get the help from someone who’s field it is to do these type of things. Currently retiring with 70 percent, and i noticed that my back injury qualifies me for this