SSDI while on Active Duty?

Jniddy00

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Did you apply for SSDI or SSI? There is no income limit on SSDI, it’s based on your inability to work. SSI is based partially on earned income. Official notification comes via mail, not sure how they communicated with you over the phone. Furthermore, the SSA has specific guidance on their website, which is what assisted me with my application. Lastly, I was approved in November of 2019 and was back paid for a full 12 month in November. I don’t think you the person you where speaking with was very knowledgeable of the process...

Jniddy00

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Did you apply for SSDI or SSI? There is no income limit on SSDI, it’s based on your inability to work. SSI is based partially on earned income. Official notification comes via mail, not sure how they communicated with you over the phone. Furthermore, the SSA has specific guidance on their website, which is what assisted me with my application. Lastly, I was approved in November of 2019 and was back paid for a full 12 month in November. I don’t think you the person you where speaking with was very knowledgeable of the process...
Lastly, I wouldn’t wait I would file the appeal. Don’t let the first step impact your decision to apply!

LiteHeaded

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Verified that I applied for SSDI. Apparently after clarification with the SSA rep it all hinges around "Substantial Work for pay or profit". She explained that they take the base pay and start applying subsidies for the things I can no longer do. For example, I can no longer participate in physical training so SSA takes into consideration the allowance for me to no longer participate and applies a subsidy which subtracts from the base pay. So basically every item on the physical profile that restricts me from doing something gets awarded a dollar amount which subtracts off the base pay. Whatever is left over is what they apply against some chart to determine if there is enough left over to be considered "Substantial Work for Pay or Profit". Once I separate, problem solved with substantial gainful activity as it relates to the military. Doesn't sound as if any one person is an expert or SME except lawyers, so that may be the next step for me.

Antonio33

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Applied for SSDI in March. Got the call last week and was denied, based upon too much money being earned. Every reference I attempted to use concerning work versus pay versus whatever, the SSA employee kept going back to the same thing, being paid too much. She even went so far as to say that all those nifty pamphlets, websites and info sheets that cite all the information saying active duty "could" receive SSDI while on AD was myth and would not be found on any official .gov website and she wished websites, VA organizations, and vet organizations would stop handing them out and perpetuating a myth. She said once I separate and no longer have an income to re-apply. Then she went on to say that no matter who you are or why you were approved she said nobody gets paid for six months after being approved. I figured out my case was going nowhere and she just was going to let me know in an hour conversation how smart she was and how dumb I was. Oh well, I suppose I wait until DD214 then try again.
Yeah that's what I figured. I know based on testimony that its possible to receive while on active duty but would be a hassle. My retirement date is the 30 Aug 2020, so I just decided to wait. Although I have a filling that ill still be denied. They wanna see you unemployed and homeless for a year before they'll consider it I guess

WT3

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I hope to not run into this same issue as I applied back in July.Still on active duty awaiting to hear back but with covid I expect it to be even longer.

Globe2280

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Consider this your lucky day... please read below!
I have just med-retired 2 weeks ago from the Air Force and guess what.... I did receive SSDI for some time on AD. I applied in Dec 2019 and got my first check while on AD. The key factor is that you cannot have been working your regular duties due to your disability. In my situation I spoke to mental health to go to a mental health outpatient clinic. Basically what you do there is get mental support and learn coping mechanisms to deal with your disabilities, while also getting used to the thought of having your career cut short potenitallly.....which can be tough for us warriors. So in Jan of 2020 I started going there half days from 9am-2pm which had helped me tremendously prepare mentally and not look like a dirtbag at work.When I applied for SSDI they told me the same thing several times, but I explained to the SSDI manager that it is true that I am Active Duty, but Not Performing Any Regular Job Duties! They agreed and accepted my application. Once approved the medical portion gets quality reviewed and it took them a Long long time. I had called and talked to the lady that had prepared and approved my medical file weekly and she didn’t know why it would take this long. She was veteran friendly and gave me the hint to contact my local Congressman explain my situation. so I called his office on a Friday..., had to fill out a release statement, and on Monday morning I received a phone call saying I am approved.
To keep it short, contact your local congressman’s office and speak to their designated SSDI rep. They will take care of you and guide you my fellow warrior!
please let me know if I can help and thank you for your service!

WT3

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have a question I applied back in July and haven't heard anything I've seem people mention they got a questionnaire mailed to them but as of now nothing. When I check on the ssdi website it just says application accepted with the last update date of the day after I filled it out is this lack of update due to covid or is it normal thanks.

Ghnkit

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have a question I applied back in July and haven't heard anything I've seem people mention they got a questionnaire mailed to them but as of now nothing. When I check on the ssdi website it just says application accepted with the last update date of the day after I filled it out is this lack of update due to covid or is it normal thanks.
It depends you can call the local office to ask for an update and see if there’s anything you need to do. I called mine during the process I also wasn’t required to fill out any packets. My work and other people had to but not me so I’d say it’s really case by case. Kinda like the med board SSA isn’t quick. Also I was approved as well.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">