Starting a job while on ordinary leave.

granolaaxe

Registered Member
I have a job currently lined up for when the IDES process is over for me. I was wondering what the legalities of taking some leave to start working for my future employer might be. My future employers understand that this process may take a long time and are willing to give me time to out-process. I'm currently in the process of waiting for the VA to rate me. So is this a can do thing? My employer would like to train me up and I would like to use this opportunity to get some extra money. I'm enlisted and will not be working for a government contractor. I appreciate all of your answers!

klamsnacks

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
From what I found on google....

Go to the legal office and get a form requesting off-duty employment. If you are AF it is a Form 3902. You have your supervisor sign it, then it goes to JAG then it goes to your commander. All they need is just the info on your job, where you will be working, what your hours will be and the general nature of the job.

granolaaxe

Registered Member
Hmm, I knew about that, thanks though. I guess the big question is whether I can start this full time job while I'm on ordinary leave.

NDBravehart84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Legally It still must be "Blessed By Command" Whether ordinary, regular or tranition... Legally
Hope this helps... GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE ;)

granolaaxe

Registered Member
Legally It still must be "Blessed By Command" Whether ordinary, regular or tranition... Legally
Hope this helps... GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE ;)

Ahh ok so there is no difference when it comes to the type of leave. My unit is asking me to go to base JAG and get this info from them! Thanks for the help all!

hawkdrivermtp

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I am planning on attending a training/evaluation in June so I will be taking ordinary leave while the company pays for my airfare, hotel and rental car. I'm just informing my command that I am going to take ordinary leave but other than that, I wont be giving too many details. I wont actually start my next career until I am on terminal leave and permissive TDY, that is of course unless during my SSDI formal hearing I am awarded benefits with my back pay. Then I will not be taking a job for awhile until I truly feel ready. The only reason I am reluctant to take an eval for my next career is to prepare in case my SSDI is denied again. I don't want to get my hopes up on one outcome and then find myself truly unemployed after I am finally discharged.

pittpan2005

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Everyone wants to get a jump start on transitioning for when they separate and the PEB process makes it that much harder; no set date. With that said, there is a lot that someone could lose should they piss their severance, TDRL or PDRL by overstepping somewhere. This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

Imagine what could happen if someone took leave during there PEB and was hurt working a second job during that period. Depending whether or not they requested permission for a second job could jeopardize there case. Also, what happens if someone is awaiting the results of the PEB and they(PEB) find out that the SM is now working a second job?

Just my two cents.

hawkdrivermtp

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Everyone wants to get a jump start on transitioning for when they separate and the PEB process makes it that much harder; no set date. With that said, there is a lot that someone could lose should they piss their severance, TDRL or PDRL by overstepping somewhere. This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

Imagine what could happen if someone took leave during there PEB and was hurt working a second job during that period. Depending whether or not they requested permission for a second job could jeopardize there case. Also, what happens if someone is awaiting the results of the PEB and they(PEB) find out that the SM is now working a second job?

Just my two cents.
Well technically, my situation is more of an interview than actually working a job so I think my situation is a bit different. But if a command signs off on someone working another job, I would think the service member would be protected considering permission was granted. Similarly, I was told no elective surgeries during the MEB process. Well, I wasn't going to wait a year for a vasectomy when the military was going to pay for it, and since I wasn't sure if I was going to be retired or given the severance, I went ahead and had the procedure done last month. It also allowed me to take time off while still getting paid while in the military. I'm not sure how the PEB would discover if a soldier was working a second job while awaiting the PEB final results unless someone were to contact them, but just because you are found unfit for military service, does not mean you are unfit for civilian employment. Just a thought.

pittpan2005

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was thinking more of a worst case. For example a SM is awaiting results from IPEB, results come back not favorable and needs to appeal to FPEB. That job could hurt the case or might have no impact on it. I just wouldn't want to put myself in a position to jeopardize my retirement. I think interviewing is another story, but actually working that other job would be the problem.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">