Starting IPEB for acute PE and DVTs LOD in a combat zone (Qatar 2010) - 70%VACP. Permanent Retirement or not?

All,

I have been reading your forum for about a year now. I appreciate the information and the kinship in helping others.

History: ANG technician activated for Title 10 tour with Air Force in Feb 2010. Syncope event 9April10 and air evac’d to LRMC Germany on 5MAY10. Spent 10 days at LRMC and returned to finish the remainder of the 6 month tour with no diagnosis and prescribed high blood pressure medication. Completed tour and once home (3 days) was diagnosed with DVT in left lower leg while still on Title 10. Treated with blood thinners until April 2011(MEDCON extension orders) and released. July 2011, diagnosed with massive amounts of PE, saddle emboli on heart and enlarged heart while in a non-duty status. Returned to MEDCON orders Nov 2011 until July 2012 and released again to federal ANG technician job. July 2015 reoccurrence (non-duty) of blood clots and now on blood thinners for life. ANG Medical Squadron indicated that I would be removed from service. Filed with VA on 6MAR16 and received 70% VACP service connected for (PE 60%, DVT 10%, DVT 10%, and tinnitus 10%).

Notified I will process IDES LOD on 5MAY2018 and I have received my PEBLO brief.

I have 34 years on ANG service, 4.3 years active duty, and a 20 year letter (issued 14 years ago) and I am 53 years of age.

Question: Will I get immediate medical disability retirement pending the IPEB with a projected result of 70% and unfit for duty? What about Concurrent pay and VACP?

Since I project a “unfit” result and a 70% military rating and have a LOD, then can I assume an Medical Retirement?

Excerpt from Disability Evaluation System Fact Sheet (2016 version) provided by PEBLO (attached):

b. Permanent Retirement (PR): If the Board determines you are unfit for continued service and the disability rating for your condition(s) is 30% or more or you have 20 or more years of active service and your condition is stable, they will recommend medical retirement. You will receive all entitlements afforded to any member retired from the Armed Forces, including entitlement to a military retired identification (ID) card, medical care, Base Exchange (BX) and commissary privileges, Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) election, etc.

Thank for your support in advance and the continued support of the forum.

Ron P

Attachments

• Disability Evaluation System Fact Sheet (April 2016).pdf
    237.1 KB · Views: 7
Will I get immediate medical disability retirement pending the IPEB with a projected result of 70% and unfit for duty?

If your unfitting condition is greater than 30%, then you will be medically retired.

What about Concurrent pay and VACP?

With a NG 20Y letter, you have earned a "non-regular" (reserve) retirement that you can collect concurrently with your VA C&P award at the age of 60 (or sooner if you qualify per the NDAA of 2008).

Will I get immediate medical disability retirement pending the IPEB with a projected result of 70% and unfit for duty?

If your unfitting condition is greater than 30%, then you will be medically retired.

What about Concurrent pay and VACP?

With a NG 20Y letter, you have earned a "non-regular" (reserve) retirement that you can collect concurrently with your VA C&P award at the age of 60 (or sooner if you qualify per the NDAA of 2008).

gsfowler, thank you for the feedback and information. Any time we are in a bureaucratic system it is a little dicey. Best regards, Ron P