Starting MEB with Ulcerative Colitis- Need advice

TNguy

Registered Member
Hello. I am new to this forum and need some advice. I was diagnosed with both Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis in May 2015. I was cleared to deploy Oct 2015-Sept 2016. 3 months into the deployment my symptoms began to get significantly worse and caused me to work out of the TOC the rest of the deployment to be near a bathroom. I went to the PA a few times and all he did was give me diarrhea medicine and sent me on my way. I never did ask for a LOD. Fast forward to now and my symptoms are still the same. I've seen GI's and been on 5 different medications. Nothing has helped. I wanted to stay in for the full 20 but I've only been in 6 and there's no way I can make it. Therefore, I have decided to go through a MEB. With that being said, here are my questions:

1) What are my chances of being determined "unfit for duty" and medical retirement?
2) Because I am National Guard, would I need to try to get an LOD from my PA or Commander I had on deployment or can I proceed to the MEB without a LOD? I can prove my symptoms were aggravated while on deployment.
3) Would I still continue to drill during the MEB process?
4) Do I need to live in the same state once the process begins? My fiancé is debating taking a job position out of state.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You will need a LOD. Have you stayed in contact with co-worker at the TOC who know why you were moved to the TOC? Or the person who moved you to the TOC. If not try to find them on the global. Coworker/supervisor statements can help. Get them and put them in secure location. Never give your originals away.

Other can help with some of your other questions.

Chaps_Z

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You cannot make a decision to start a MEB. Only a physician can choose to initiate that process.

To be found "unfit", you need to be able to show history of not being able to perform your job because of the condition. Sounds like that may be difficult considering your history.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
TNguy,
Welcome to the PEBFORUM!

I can only offer my input based on what you have written. I am not sure I have all of the necessary information to provide a full answer.

I was cleared to deploy Oct 2015-Sept 2016. 3 months into the deployment my symptoms began to get significantly worse and caused me to work out of the TOC the rest of the deployment to be near a bathroom. I went to the PA a few times and all he did was give me diarrhea medicine and sent me on my way. I never did ask for a LOD. Fast forward to now and my symptoms are still the same.
Are these medical encounters well documented in your records? Do you have copies of the prescriptions for the medications?

Did you mention your health issues in any of your post-deployment out-processing/PHDRA?

Have you already applied for VA compensation for your conditions? If so, have you received a rating? (If not, you might consider applying).

Therefore, I have decided to go through a MEB. With that being said, here are my questions:
Have you been offered this choice or have your military providers or command suggested this as a course of action?

1) What are my chances of being determined "unfit for duty" and medical retirement?
Need more information to tell. Do you have current profiles and or limitations on your duty performance?

2) Because I am National Guard, would I need to try to get an LOD from my PA or Commander I had on deployment or can I proceed to the MEB without a LOD? I can prove my symptoms were aggravated while on deployment.
Better to have an LOD that states your condition was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty. Better yet, if it states your condition(s) were incurred while deployed.

3) Would I still continue to drill during the MEB process?
Hard to say. Are you able to perform military duty? Have you had a loss of income from your civilian job (if any) as a result of your condition(s)? It may be that you should have been retained on active duty for MEB/PEB processing. Or it may be that you should be awarded INCAP pay.

4) Do I need to live in the same state once the process begins? My fiancé is debating taking a job position out of state.
I have seen cases where folks were outside of their unit's geographic location. The issues can be somewhat complicated. Would really need to know more about your current situation procedurally.

You will need a LOD. Have you stayed in contact with co-worker at the TOC who know why you were moved to the TOC? Or the person who moved you to the TOC. If not try to find them on the global. Coworker/supervisor statements can help. Get them and put them in secure location. Never give your originals away.
\
Having an LOD would be ideal. However, it is possible that through the MEB process, an LOD is initiated, or an administrative LOD finding is made by the MEB. Having witness statements, as described/suggested above, can't hurt and might be helpful. Not sure it is needed, though. Recall, the presumption is that your condition was incurred or service aggravated by your service.

You cannot make a decision to start a MEB. Only a physician can choose to initiate that process.
What is your current situation. Have you been "offered" an MEB? Has your command notified you of any referral? Technically, there are a few other ways to get an MEB, but most often it is a military medical provider who initiates. Need more details about your case here.

To be found "unfit", you need to be able to show history of not being able to perform your job because of the condition. Sounds like that may be difficult considering your history.
Not sure I agree with the bolded, above. Would need to know more about your current procedural posture, your profiles/duty limitations, and other information before opining on this. A successful completion of a deployment may work against you. However, significant profile limitations may indicate otherwise.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
"It is Department of Defense policy to provide medical and dental care to Reserve component members for an injury, illness or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.”

Guard and Reserve members returning from mobilization and combat duty encounter new challenges once they demobilize, especially if injuries or illnesses such as combat-related psychological health issues require further or additional medical care.

Once demobilized, if Reserve and National Guard members have an injury or illness that occurred on active duty, they must receive a Line of Duty (LOD) determination from their service branch. The LOD documentation is used to establish, manage and authorize civilian health care for eligible Reserve and National Guard members. (Note: LOD coverage is not available for family members.)

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">