Stay 20% and use ChampVA or pursue 30% for Tricare

ZacSquatch

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
In a pickle here. Got my rating back yesterday, 100% P&T VA, 20% Army.

I didnt know about ChampVA until today after talking to legal counsel. I had been planning an appeal since the narsum because I have severe radiculopathy and the Army said it met retention standards. The advantage being TriCare for life and being medically retired.

The severance at 20% would be awesome, pretty much a tax free personal loan while keeping the majority if my VA check for 3 years. That would help us a lot on our new farm and getting settled, but my worry was medical coverage for thw family too.

Can anyone advise on the ChampVA coverage vs tricare?

Champva coverage isn’t for the Veteran, it’s for the family members. I’d appeal and try to get 30% or more for tricare, that was you have two options for yourself, VA or tricare. I’ve used both and I don’t like VA care at all, they don’t have many newer meds and in my case they refused to prescribe simple blood pressure meds even though my BP was as high as 179/121!!!!!

You will be hard pressed to find anyone here that will not advocate for the 30% and tri-care for life. That benefit alone, depending on lifespan, is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in premiums and deductibles. It's worth fighting for but might not be in the cards for you based on your condition.

Champva coverage isn’t for the Veteran, it’s for the family members. I’d appeal and try to get 30% or more for Tricare, that was you have two options for yourself, VA or Tricare. I’ve used both and I don’t like VA care at all, they don’t have many newer meds and in my case they refused to prescribe simple blood pressure meds even though my BP was as high as 179/121!!!!!
Reference newer medications, I agree with @tony292. Depeneding on your conditions, newer meds make a huge difference in qulaity of life. My experience with VA providers has been excellent, but I'm better served by Tricare's formulary. My civilian doc is excellent and his sister is a great backup when he is on vacation.