Step 3 - IDES

USN_1997

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone! I started the IDES process in December. I am stationed in Maine - I was on a PRECOM destroyer until this process started. I am a 22 year active duty naval officer. Before you ask, I am in the IDES process for the following referred conditions: MDD, PTSD, Panic Disorder, and Anxiety (all combined together and classified as mental health), Narcolepsy/Hypersomnia, and Fibromyalgia. I have diagnosis for each of these conditions. I am being put in the IDES process because I am under a bonus payment program that requires a certain service obligation, so I can't just flat out retire right now. Anyway, this month I have 5 C&P exams. Once that is done the MEB process is supposed to start with a physician drafting my NARSUM and my CoC providing input on via a non-medical assessment. I have a PEBLO that is located in Newport, RI and I have had several discussions with the PEB lawyers that you are provided with during this process. I filed my VA claim and it list 30 conditions that I have been treated for over my career. At this phase of the process, I would just appreciate some insight on things to come and what I should expect. From the looks of this, I expect to have a resolution on this by June. Is that realistic? Since I am over 20 years of service, I was told that I can rate 0% and still be retired. Feedback appreciated on the overall process. Thanks...

If you are already scheduled for C&P exams the MEB is done and the PEB is in process of gathering information. Yes you could be rated 0% DoD and retired, but that is unlikely given the number of conditions you have submitted and the effects of some the conditions you have listed. But the USN marches to its own tune when it comes to PEBs.

If your C&P exams occur this month and additional exams are not ordered, six months is a reasonable guess. I would not make any plans that require $ until orders are in hand.

How can that be? Don’t they use the information obtained from the C&P exams to draft the NARSUM for the MEB? I have not even seen the NARSUM, nor has my CoC.