Stress Fractures during Basic Training

I am so glad I found this forum!
My husband has been At Fort Leonard wood for over a year now due to two stress fractures in his hips which happened during BCT. He was able to pass BCT but has been placed on Holdover status ever since which was after June of last year. He was placed on con leave in august of 2012 for 30 days to see if he would heal. But after his appointment in September of 2012 the Doctors found out that he would have to have surgery due to a birth defect in his hip where the stress fractures are. He was given Surgery in Jan of this year and was placed on con leave about three weeks later because his doctors ordered his DS to give it to him. He has been treated like crap for the pass year now because of all of this and he is now just being able to get a Med board done. The other soldiers and DS pick on him consistently and make him do heavy lifting all the time which has caused his hip to become displaced a few times. Not to mention he has type C strep now because of the sanitation issue the private have there. I would like know what I can do to help him? And how long will his med board process can take, so he can come home and properly heal?

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

My sister is currently at Fort Leonarwood sand training to be a military police in the 795th battalion. She has split her shins and fractured her hip and is now on crutches. She was waiting medical review 3 weeks ago to see if she would be relased or alowed to stay. they told her she was unfit to finish basic and to come back within 6months or stay and try to heal she chose to heal but then she callef and said they are sending her home we have not heard from her in 2 weeks. who can we contact to see what is actually her medical condition and if she is being released I'm a bit concerned from reading the previous post I'm worried she's being neglected whats should i do

My sister is currently at Fort Leonarwood sand training to be a military police in the 795th battalion. She has split her shins and fractured her hip and is now on crutches. She was waiting medical review 3 weeks ago to see if she would be relased or alowed to stay. they told her she was unfit to finish basic and to come back within 6months or stay and try to heal she chose to heal but then she callef and said they are sending her home we have not heard from her in 2 weeks. who can we contact to see what is actually her medical condition and if she is being released I'm a bit concerned from reading the previous post I'm worried she's being neglected whats should i do

Call the Red cross ASAP. You are considered next of kin and say you have not heard from her, can't contact her, and are extremely worried of her well-being. They will get a hold of the right people in her chain of command, who will have accountability of her, and can make sure she calls you within 24 hours of notification. My family did this while I was in England. Know that she may be stressed, but I am sure she is physically safe. Good Luck!

Any luck or news?

Hello All,

I am so glad I found this forum! My boyfriend just went back to fort benning from his 30 day convalescent leave. He got a stress fracture on his 3-metarsal bone on his foot. He is feeling so much better and doesnt feel any pain at all when he walks or runs. I was wondering if anyone knew if rehab is mandatory after they come back from 30- convalescent leave if he is feeling better?

Hello All,

I am so glad I found this forum! My boyfriend just went back to fort benning from his 30 day convalescent leave. He got a stress fracture on his 3-metarsal bone on his foot. He is feeling so much better and doesnt feel any pain at all when he walks or runs. I was wondering if anyone knew if rehab is mandatory after they come back from 30- convalescent leave if he is feeling better?

Based upon my experiences with ongoing physical therapy for rehabilitation, the physical therapist would always mention that I they can't force me to attend any therapy sessions. In addition, my PCM would echo similar responses, but she would always caveat it with "I don't want to write in your medical records that you are non-compliant with recommended medical treatment."

With that all said, the important factor of interest is that there shall potentially exist a significant effect on the determination(s) adjudicated from within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process as based upon any decisions made in reference to physical therapy rehabilitation.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Worried about daughter.
Our daughter is currently at Leonard Wood and is in holdover status, she graduated bct in January but went to FTU because she lacked 2 situps to pass. During BCT she sprained both ankles and received a stress fracture, now her hip is bothering her as a result of the injuries. She has gone for x-rays and now a bone scan, tomorrow she starts physical therapy, she is also depressed because of the crap others are giving her. Her battle buddies keep ditching her because of her crutches so getting to appts is getting difficult. At this point in time she just wants to find out what is going to happen to her. She is afraid that if put back with her unit she will be recycled and break something. What are her options, she will be 180 in next month.
Thank you

What are her true desires? This will help in laying out potential options.

What are her true desires? This will help in laying out potential options.
At this time I am not sure she went in to be a parachute rigger and got reclassed into transportation
she is depressed due to her not being able to do physical activity and inability to participate in training
I am not sure if she wants to continue, but that is her call and not mine She has twisted both ankles in bct, and had a stress fracture, to where she said her knee would lock up. She was made to participate so she would not get rolled back, but now the injuries are worse and her fears of being rolled have more then likely come true, but in ait and not bct. She just wants to go to college, but was also told it would bea year after she gets to her duty station before she would even be able to do that. So right now she is also frustrated with the whole situation.

Update:
Our daughter went to the military doc, he said she has mild stress fractures to her knee and ankle. She ask him about a med discharge because of the pain she is in due to the fractures. He told her no and she would have to talk to her chain of command, mind you she is in AIT. She spoke with her commander and 1st Sgt, they said nothing was wrong with her and it was all in her head. She said she would like a discharge, this Friday she will get a RTD ( Return to Duty) profile, and then they will begin paperwork for her discharge. She said it will be considered unfit for duty and will take 1-4 months to be complete. She said she will return to college to finish her teaching degree, and return to the rodeo circuit. When she returns home and has all paperwork I will update again. I do have one question, since she had no fractures when she joined the Army do you think it is prudent to apply for the discharge be upgraded to medical?
I hope everybody has a great day.

Update:
Our daughter went to the military doc, he said she has mild stress fractures to her knee and ankle. She ask him about a med discharge because of the pain she is in due to the fractures. He told her no and she would have to talk to her chain of command, mind you she is in AIT. She spoke with her commander and 1st Sgt, they said nothing was wrong with her and it was all in her head. She said she would like a discharge, this Friday she will get a RTD ( Return to Duty) profile, and then they will begin paperwork for her discharge. She said it will be considered unfit for duty and will take 1-4 months to be complete. She said she will return to college to finish her teaching degree, and return to the rodeo circuit. When she returns home and has all paperwork I will update again. I do have one question, since she had no fractures when she joined the Army do you think it is prudent to apply for the discharge be upgraded to medical?
I hope everybody has a great day.

Indeed, it good to hear that your daughter is getting medical treatment for your military injuries at this point.

As far as a medical retirement vice a medical discharge versus a chapter discharge, I would suggest that you make a specific inquiry to your daughter as to exactly what her military Chain of Command is trying to accomplishment in my opinion?

Best Wishes!

my daughter had two days to go before she was to complete BCT. I get a text on Tuesday stating she had hurt her hip. 2 weeks ago I got a letter stating she had a stress fracture in her hipand she wanted to continue. the text said that she had broken her hip and will be medically discharged.so I get on the website and
private message them and ask them if
this is true.the response I got that she had passed her PT test but was unable to finish the last 2 days.and that she will not graduateand I will not be able to come up and see herthat I have to wait till Friday when she gets her phone back to call me and let me know what's going onmy question is now what happened is there anything I can tell her on this phone call I've been reading a lot of horror stories on this forumand I just need to advise her the proper way of getting this taken care of. Thank You

If she is injured and can not complete the graduation requirements then she will most likely be discharged. Its my understanding that she should be afforded the opportunity to be evaluated by medical personnel to have an official decision made. Even if she chooses to continue the Government may not allow it if they do not feel she meets medical retention.

Wow I'm so glad i found this page my son is at Fort Leonard Wood he left march 1 and march 22nd he got hurt was put on bed rest for 3 days but thst didn't happen i got a call from the hospital that he was there they transferred the call to.
his room he went on to tell me he was having surgery the next day so now he has 3 rods in each hip he came home on a con leave for 30 days when he had to return he went right back to the unit he was in he has a appt. With the orthopedic doctor on may 6 I know its gonna happen again i understood the doctor to say he would most likely get a medical discharge.i am so confused on their way of thinking he was whole when he went in and now at 20 years old he has rods in his hips and the doctor say it would happen again so as a mother i ask myself why would they put them. Back out there knowing it's gonna happen again .concerned mom

It will be very hard to receive medial retirement from the military since basic has not been completed, more then likely she will receive a Separation with severance pay, then she can apply for VA.

If anyone is still on this thread, advice is much needed!

I'm currently on convalescent leave from Army BCT due to a grade 4 stress fracture of the femur. Depending on how my assessment goes when I go back in the next week, I'll either go back into another cycle (supposedly where I left off in white phase) and be able to finish BCT or be medically discharged. After reading the comments on this thread, I am terrified of going through with the recommended rehab seeing as people can potentially wait up to a year until they're fully healed. I know it depends on how fast my body will heal but, I also know how slow the paper work takes to process. I'm not sure if I really want to return to full duty at this point and am also afraid if I go back to basic I will injure myself even more and go through it again. I have a husband at home and want to just live my life already. It's not that I don't want to be in the army, I just don't know if I want it bad enough to put me AND my husband through this again. Sorry for rambling on, I'm just at a loss at what to do. I gave my all and wanted this for a long time but, sometimes it's just not the right timing or meant to be at all. If anyone has experienced this or doesn't mind giving some insight I would appreciate it!!

I'm currently on convalescent leave from Army BCT due to a grade 4 stress fracture of the femur. Depending on how my assessment goes when I go back in the next week, I'll either go back into another cycle (supposedly where I left off in white phase) and be able to finish BCT or be medically discharged. After reading the comments on this thread, I am terrified of going through with the recommended rehab seeing as people can potentially wait up to a year until they're fully healed. I know it depends on how fast my body will heal but, I also know how slow the paper work takes to process. I'm not sure if I really want to return to full duty at this point and am also afraid if I go back to basic I will injure myself even more and go through it again. I have a husband at home and want to just live my life already. It's not that I don't want to be in the army, I just don't know if I want it bad enough to put me AND my husband through this again. Sorry for rambling on, I'm just at a loss at what to do. I gave my all and wanted this for a long time but, sometimes it's just not the right timing or meant to be at all. If anyone has experienced this or doesn't mind giving some insight I would appreciate it!!

Indeed, I am sad to read that you are experiencing a lot of medical challenges in an attempt for the completion of BCT at this point. :(

Unfortunately, I am not able to provide any sound insightful feedback in reference to your specific inquiry. Albeit, I shall defer to @maparker, @gsfowler, @scoutCC and/or other PEB Forum members who may be able to provide targeted feedback hopefully soon.

With that, I pray that you get better soon and hope that your particular overall medical situation results in a favorable outcome. Take care!

Best Wishes!

You appear to have a pretty good grasp on what the process will be like. The Army will have you return from BCT, assess the fracture(s) and determine whether or not they will recycle you, or you will begin the medical discharge process.

Injuries that occur during basic combat training are a little tricky, as there are two ways that they can look at the injury

1.) The injury existed prior to service. If the Army determines that for some reason, the stress fractures already existed prior to you entering service, they can initiate and entry level separation, aka as an uncharacterized discharge. This decision can happen if the medical doctor is able to state that there is clear and unmistakable evidence that the condition was present before you entered basic training. Clear and unmistakable evidence is a pretty big burden of proof for the Army, since you were examined at MEPS by doctors and presumed fit to serve. Entry level discharges must occur before or be initiated before 180 days in service.

2.) The injury occurred in the line of duty (during training). If this is the determination, the Army will try to rehabilitate the injury, and once you are healed you will be recycled back to the place you were in basic combat training. If you are not able to heal, there is the possibility that you may be referred to a medical evaluation board. Fractures typically heal and are not normally considered a condition that would be disabling.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my comment! Also, I appreciate the best wishes and helpful info. In regards to the rehabilitation, do I have to take it or can I imply that'd I'd rather have a discharge without it looking bad on my record? I'm still debating on my decision when the time comes.

Just need some advice..
I went to BCT in dec 2014, I had a stress fracture in my right hip. I was sent home in feb 2015 for 30 days. when I came back to BCT, I had to do BCT all over again. during the whole BCT process I never fully healed from my stress fracture, I began to swell in my knees and had severe pain. I went to the clinic and the doctor said pretty much that my body was done and I was going to to be medically discharged. the day of out processing I found out that my discharge was uncharacterized. why is that? is it possible that I can get any medical or disability from the VA? I still have the annoying pinching in my hip, I just want know what are my options, if there are any!!