Tax Question

warrantarng

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received 100% VA and DOD 90% ratings, I do not receive concurrent payment. my 1099-R from DFAS has a distribution code of 7, which equals to normal. Should I be paying federal taxes on my retirement received from DOD?

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received 100% VA and DOD 90% ratings, I do not receive concurrent payment. my 1099-R from DFAS has a distribution code of 7, which equals to normal. Should I be paying federal taxes on my retirement received from DOD?
TDRL/PDRL Exemption: If you retired under a disability law (Temporary Disability Retirement List or Permanent Disability Retirement List), your retired pay will be fully
non-taxable
if

your pay is calculated based upon your military (not VA) disability percentage and you meet one of the following conditions:
  • You were in the military or under a contractual obligation to join the military on September 24, 1975, or
  • Your military disability rating is combat-related
Reference: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/manage/taxes/isittaxable.html

Added: Additionally if all your retired pay is waived for VA compensation, you would not pay taxes on waives retired pay.
Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">