Taxes question

Vet3050

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, and please forgive my ignorance.

My sole income is VA disability. I have a mortgage. Does it benefit me in any way to file a tax return in CA? I did not make any taxable income but my mortgage servicer sends me tax forms every year and I believe that the interest can be written off? But if I have nothing to write it off of can it still be used for a refund? Thank you for considering my question.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello Vet3050,

To the best of my knowledge, no.

You did not appear to be eligible for Earned Income Tax credit.

To claim EITC on your tax return, you must meet all the following rules:
  • You (and your spouse if filing a joint return), and all others listed on Schedule EIC, must each have the required Social Security number that was issued on or before the due date of the tax return (including extensions)
  • You must have earned income from working for someone else or from owning or running a farm or business
  • And...many other requirements to qualify.

Ron

Vet3050

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you for the detailed answer. You are always a great resource for vets with questions.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
There are a number of tax credits. If you qualify for any tax credit, you should file. You could actually get money back (that you never paid).

We upgrade our AC unit to an energy efficient one (the old one died). That is an example of something for which you could be eligible for a federal tax credit.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
There are a number of tax credits. If you qualify for any tax credit, you should file. You could actually get money back (that you never paid).

We upgrade our AC unit to an energy efficient one (the old one died). That is an example of something for which you could be eligible for a federal tax credit.
Good points. My son receives the solar power tax credit.

In this case, he has zero taxable income. In fact, his sole income is VA compensation. "My sole income is VA disability."

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">