TBI/PTSD combined rating

efoster

Registered Member
I had my C&P two years ago and they gave me a combined rating of 30% for PTSD/TBI stating that they couldn't tell one from the other. The doc who did the neuro exam said that cognitively I failed the test, but they couldn't determine if it was the PTSD or the TBI. Anyone else have that happen, and if my cognition was so jacked, why such a low rating?

I had my C&P two years ago and they gave me a combined rating of 30% for PTSD/TBI stating that they couldn't tell one from the other. The doc who did the neuro exam said that cognitively I failed the test, but they couldn't determine if it was the PTSD or the TBI. Anyone else have that happen, and if my cognition was so jacked, why such a low rating?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Unfortunately, I can't provide any in-depth feedback in reference to a PTSD/TBI combined rating since my DoVA experiences have resulted in the receipt of a separate PTSD rating and a separate TBI rating (via the DoVA NOD appeal process).

From your information above, you stated that you have a PTSD/TBI combined rating of 30% which correlates to the following "General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders" in 38 CFR VASRD §4.130 Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders:

"Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events)."

That said, do you totally agree that your current PTSD/TBI symptomology reflects the above general rating formula? As such, have your symptomology become worse in the past two years? If so, then you may want to consider requesting a DoVA rating increase by submitting a DoVA disability claim via eBenefits for faster processing. Apparently, at the C&P exam two years ago, your combined PTSD/TBI symptomologies didn't meet the criteria for a higher DoVA rating. Again, has this changed to date?

At this point, do you have any other concerns with the PTSD/TBI 30% combined rating? Meaning, do you believe that your PTSD condition and TBI condition should be separated; therefore, receiving two separate DoVA ratings? If so, then you may want to consider scheduling an appointment with the TBI clinic at your local VAMC for further diagnostic testing. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

It was worse even at the time. I explained to them that when I read two things happen, I don't fully understand what I read, which is not like me pre TBI, I told them when I graduated high school I got my AA along with my HS diploma. I also have a problem with being able to focus on the words as words float when I read. I forget words that I know I know when I am having conversations, there have been times when the left side of my face is numb, I will stutter at times, and I have bad migraines. In 2009 a neurologist mapped my brain and found where there is a dead zone due to the TBI (that was while active duty still). It hasn't gotten better.

I feel your pain brother. I am going through the process right now and was luckily diagnosed with PTSD and TBI, because the events happened at different times. I don't know if you've gone down the route, but you should try to get to a brain rehabilitation center. They will address your memory loss and attention deficit, as well as help stabilize the migraines. they put me on a daily (inderall) that has worked wonders. I went form 4 or 5 a month to maybe 1-2, which are usually stress induced.

There isn't a brain rehabilitation center near me. The VA has never done anything to help it either. They totally ignored my headaches on the C&P. They also ignored the fact that my eyes literally bounce at times, and it makes me see everything bounce, all of that was documented in 2009 by my neurologist. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, I was actually told by an Army doc that girls don't get hurt in combat.

There isn't a brain rehabilitation center near me. The VA has never done anything to help it either. They totally ignored my headaches on the C&P. They also ignored the fact that my eyes literally bounce at times, and it makes me see everything bounce, all of that was documented in 2009 by my neurologist. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, I was actually told by an Army doc that girls don't get hurt in combat.

Excuse my language but that is bull shyt. One team one fight. I saw plenty of female soliders and marines outside the wire. The did everything from sentry duty to pulling rear convoy gunner. I would've reported his butt. Anyways I'm sorry that you were not taken care of. My PCM is horrible, but I was lucky enough to get a rheumatologist that took care of me and got me into the places I needed.

Just because there isn't a Brain rehab center near you doesn't mean the VA can't get you into the closest one. Keep pushing and get healthy. I'll send you good vibes.

Bottom line is that if you are still having problems/issues/concerns with your PTSD and/or TBI medical conditions and not satisfied with the treatment or lack thereof by the DoVA VHA, I would strongly recommend going to the Patient Advocate Office at your local VAMC for immediate assistance. In addition, if you have other medical problems which occurred during military service or you think it occurred during military service, it's best to submit a DoVA disability claim and allow the DoVA VBA process to adjudicate the disability claim.

That all said, please continue the fight while remaining positively proactive. As such, hold the DoVA VHA accountable for providing proper medical treatment and the DoVA VBA accountable for monetary compensation of earned benefits! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

My old rating was at 50% PTSD and 40% TBI. I recently went in to increase my PTSD and I was awarded 100% PTSD/TBI combined with 50% secondary for sleep apnea.
I still have my PTSD and TBI on my rated disabilities list. I'm currently at 100% SMC-S. It's just so weird how things are categorized.