Tdrl and severance pay.

Usnsailor0327

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was medically seperated with severance pay. When I went to get my dd214 was told that I am eligible for an ID card and my status was tdrl. Now I am stuck in limbo at 100% VA but cannot get that ID card yet because some how I was put on TDRL but not put on TDRL because I got severance pay. Any ideas what I should do?

Hello,

Others with experience in this area will likely comment later.

What do your Chapter 61 orders show? Do they reflect TDRL or separation with severance?

What was your DOD disability rating?

Ron

Hello,

Others with experience in this area will likely comment later.

What do your Chapter 61 orders show? Do they reflect TDRL or separation with severance?

What was your DOD disability rating?

Ron
My orders stated seperation with severance pay. My dd214 says severance pay and tdrl. I was in the navy and was stationed at a naval base (dont wanna put anyone on blast) but we had to go through liasons for our dd214 and couldnt walk into the office. My dod i think was 20% but my va was bumped to 100% total perm from 70% 30 days after my seperation. When i went to pick up my dd214 i was told your authorized to get an ID card and to pick it up at an ID office when i get home. I asked if we were allowed to get both (severance pay and tdrl) and was told if they put it on the dd214 you are. So in one system I was tdrl and allowed to use tricare but the navy says I was never tdrl. Its been 3 years and I got taken off tdrl but now cant get the new VA card because I am im this weird limbo status. The only thing I am scared of is if someone made a mistake and I have to pay for it somehow because i asked and was told if its on the dd214 its allowed.

Hello @Usnsailor0327

If your DOD rating was 20%, then separation with severance pay was appropriate. The VA rating has no bearing on the DoD rating.

One cannot receive both retired pay and severance pay simultaneously. One can be initially on the TDRL and receive retired pay @50% as a minimum (it will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation ). If a reevaluation results in a DOD rating of 20% or less, severance pay would then be paid.

Edited to add:
Opinion—If one is removed from the TDRL, I do not think a new DD 214 is issued since there was no active duty after the initial DD 214. There would be new orders however reflecting the new status (i.e., PDRL or separation). A military ID card is authorized for TDRL and PDRL, but not for separation.

copied to:
@tony292
@chaplaincharlie
@Provis

Ron

Last edited:
If a VA rating shifted dramatically immediately after discharge, one can appeal to the BCMR. If the 20% DoD rating is changed to 30 percent or more your seperations MAY be re-characterized to retired.

If a VA rating shifted dramatically immediately after discharge, one can appeal to the BCMR. If the 20% DoD rating is changed to 30 percent or more your seperations MAY be re-characterized to retired.
Thanks. Only documentation I have to give the PEB is my VA stuff and my dd214 that shows tdrl. No other paper work said it and my orders did not state it. No idea what will happen.