TDRL Appointment Scheduled with VA or Military?

jeremymays92

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received an email today from the Air Force TDRL office for my Re-Evaluation. There is a letter asking me elect between a military treatment facility or my VA provider. Based on your experiences, which would you choose for this appointment to be done? I'm hesitant for either one so I really appreciate your advice. My fear with a military doctor is someone who does not know my situation since I left and not having my records. Plus the care from the VA has been so much better since I got out. It is an ARMY base (Ft Campbell) and I don't have any idea what to expect and frankly uncomfortable with the ARMY doing my case. The VA option states I will be provided guidance for my Provider at the VA to perform the evaluation. This scares me because none of my providers ever know what I'm talking about when I mention being on TDRL. My psychiatrists have all been residents that are only there 1 year before moving on.

Which of the two would you all recommend? This situation really has me nervous and want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thank you all.

Attachments

• TDRL Re-Evaluation Election Form.pdf
    178.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I would go with the VA with your situation because it sounds like they know you more and you may already be comfortable with opening up to them. Since it is a MH issue, you don't want to end up with a provider that you can't be fully honest and open with especially for this. It really doesn't matter if they know TDRL or not because they are basically just evaluating you on the condition you were put on TDRL for (kind of like a C&P exam/DBQ but for just that one thing).

I question the impartiality of some service doctors. Additionally, rating is not a normal function for service doctors. I would go with the VA.

I'd listen to Chaps

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and offer up advice so far. I tend to agree with you all about the VA route being my best benefit. Not one to put things off but these deadlines by the Air Force TDRL office have presented another challenge in itself especially with the days off clinics are having this time of year. The earliest VA appointment I could make was on a Friday, January 12th with my psychiatrist. These appointments are always 30 minutes with me and I cannot see how they expect a doctor is going to able to do a thorough job on a NARSUM in 30 minutes on a 30 day suspense with today (December 15th) being the first notification of this Re-Evaluation.

I have an appointment with my VSO Wednesday to talk about my Re-Evaluation and if there is anything they can do to help. I wish this could have been a month or so down the road because the night before my appointment I have a sleep study. I've had sleep issues since 2 years before I was retired and part of the reason I was medically retired.

It shocks me that the Air Force TDRL office allows Evaluations from a psychiatrist on your treatment team especially one who is a resident. I thought it would have been with someone familiar with disability claims at the VA as it was when I had a Re-Evaluation done in '15 by the VA where my disability percentage was raised. The Air Force sent me a letter later concurring with the VA's findings done by someone that was not one of my providers.

Last edited:
On a side note, how does the Air Force's decision effect my VA rating? I'm 100% on both AF & VA. If the Air Force were to end my TDRL status and lower my rating, discharge me with severance pay or discharge at 0%, does that change my VA disability rating in any way since I elected to go with the VA benefits when placed upon TDRL?

your VA Rating is independent from the AF. it is conceivable though that the VA could note improvement in your condition and lower your rating. You would have an appeal opportunity in that case. around 2007 or so I was lowered from 60% to 20% by VA (without an exam) out of the blue. I waited too long to appeal, and my claim became a new one. My rating was raised again, but I was not eligible to bridge the two. I had about a year of lower payments between the decision to lower my rating and the date I submitted the new claim. Had I appealed it within the window I would not have had any gaps.

your VA Rating is independent from the AF. it is conceivable though that the VA could note improvement in your condition and lower your rating. You would have an appeal opportunity in that case. around 2007 or so I was lowered from 60% to 20% by VA (without an exam) out of the blue. I waited too long to appeal, and my claim became a new one. My rating was raised again, but I was not eligible to bridge the two. I had about a year of lower payments between the decision to lower my rating and the date I submitted the new claim. Had I appealed it within the window I would not have had any gaps.
Thank you for the info! Did you ever receive an explanation from the VA as to why they decided to look into your case and lower it without prior notification to you? That seems shady on their part. Is this normal for the VA to do?

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! Did you ever receive an explanation from the VA as to why they decided to look into your case and lower it without prior notification to you? That seems shady on their part. Is this normal for the VA to do?
All I really got was speculation. I hadnt been to the VA Dr in a while so they ASSumed I was better. The real story was that they couldnt do anything for me, and it cost me money to go see them...