TDRL at 20 years

WesBM1

Registered Member
Hi all,

I was medboarded and they tried to out me at 19 years with 60% TDRL for my back. I appealed it and requested retention until I reached 20 years. I ended up receiving the 20yr TDRL retirement.

So my question is:

When I retire with 20 years my pay will be 60% TDRL.

When I go to the VA for disability- will they look at that 60% as compensation for my back or will they see that I retired with 20 years and subtract 50% as my longevity pay, and only subtract the remaining 10% from from whatever rating I am awarded through them?

I just don't want to lose out on a percentage of what I am entitled to.

Thanks,

At 20 years, you'd be eligible for concurrent receipt which would most likely be the best option.

What was your DOD rated percentage? Is that the 60% If so, then what was the VA total percentage (assuming you had more than just the DOD rated issue)?

I have never heard of TDRL at 20 years. I thought 20 years service members were required to received PDRL.

My retirement isn't until Oct 12th. So I haven't done the VA part yet.

As far as the 20 TDRL- they said because that allowed the percentage to go up if my condition worsened. If at 18 months out my back got better, they would just drop it to my 50% longevity retirement.

What is your rank? Likely the TDRL is only a factor if you want a fit finding and to come back in later, or if you have a decent amount of rank.

will they look at that 60% as compensation for my back or will they see that I retired with 20 years and subtract 50% as my longevity pay, and only subtract the remaining 10% from from whatever rating I am awarded through them?
This is a confusing question. There are basically two options:
1) You'll keep the 50% for the 20 years (taxed) and get full VA (untaxed).
2) You keep the disability retirement (taxed). Anything you get from the VA (untaxed) is deducted dollar for dollar from the retirement for a tax advantage, but the overall cap is based on the disability %.

So, unless a 75% retirement (max, even at 100% rating) can beat out scenario one, the disability % could be 0%, it won't change anything really. You'll still get scenario one. 20 years of service is a huge deal. Worrying about the TDRL and the percentages generally takes O-5 rank, since it is highly dependent on base pay.

I just don't want to lose out on a percentage of what I am entitled to.
Likely you are in really good shape. The fight for 20 years was the important win. CRSC is really the only question still open IMO.

I'll be retiring as an e - 6. My main concern was current receipt, and wanted to make sure that my temporary retirement didn't jeopardize the VA payment.

I did 20 years and went on the TDRL. After my first review I was moved to the PDRL.

I have never heard of TDRL at 20 years. I thought 20 years service members were required to received PDRL.
Hmm, not true unfortunately! Otherwise, I would be on PDRL right now instead of 3+ years on TDRL!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

@Warrior644

That is odd.

Quoting DFAS

"If your disability is found to be permanent and is rated at 30 percent or greater, or you have 20 or more years of service, you will be placed on the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL). "

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/disability.htm
Indeed, maybe mental disorders doesn't follow the above DFAS quotation; but I fought for PDRL with TDRL PEB Legal assistance, didn't work...IDK! Thanks for the reply! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
@Warrior644 100% believe you, but that is strange.

Hate to jump in with little to no knowledge. My understanding is with BH it's almost always TDRL regardless of service time. Has to do with backlash of service members being discharged withBH so now its minimum 50% TDRL then adjusted accordingly depending on how SM adjust being outside of service