TDRL Exam Results

mxridr

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received my TDRL exam results and they are proposing I be placed on PDRL which is good however they are lowering my DOD percentage from 100% down to 40%. I didn’t redo any VA exams so I am still rated at 100% P&T from the VA, with 70% rating for my right arm and 60% rating for my left arm (Incomplete- severe paralysis VSARD code 8513). Under my assumption and what I’ve seen on here in the past the Air Force must use my current VA ratings, is this correct?

If I appeal and appear for the FPEB can they ask me to complete another C&P exam or it mainly just using the information already present?

I received my TDRL exam results and they are proposing I be placed on PDRL which is good however they are lowering my DOD percentage from 100% down to 40%. I didn’t redo any VA exams so I am still rated at 100% P&T from the VA, with 70% rating for my right arm and 60% rating for my left arm (Incomplete- severe paralysis VSARD code 8513). Under my assumption and what I’ve seen on here in the past the Air Force must use my current VA ratings, is this correct?

If I appeal and appear for the FPEB can they ask me to complete another C&P exam or it mainly just using the information already present?
From an U.S. Army perspective with 4 years and 17 days on the DoD military TDRL prior to being placed onto the DoD military PDRL in 2018, the DoD Legacy DES (LDES) PEB determines the results for military service members placed onto the TDRL. The DoD LDES PEB process while on TDRL doesn't follow the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process requirement of adapting the DoVA D-RAS provided DoVA disability rating(s) as its DoD disability rating(s).

Unfortunately, the DoD LDES PEB process shall determine the DoD disability rating(s) in accordance with 38 CFR VASRD and are not mandated to use or adapt any DoVA disability rating(s) during the DoD TDRL re-evaluation(s). So, indeed, requesting a FPEB hearing is probably your next action if you disagree with the DoD LDES PEB findings at this point in time.

In retrospect when I was on the DoD military TDRL and I requested a FPEB hearing due to disagreeing with the DoD (Army) LDES PEB findings, all available medical evidence and medical documentation was presented to the FPEB via my assigned military-provided DES attorney. The FPEB didn't ask for the completion of any additional medical examinations so I can't provide an experienced-based response to that particular inquiry. At the end of the FPEB hearing in my own situation, it was recommended that I be continued on the TDRL for another 12 months at that particular point in time. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Hopefully you have an attorney to represent your case at the FPEB.

I was able to reach out to the Air Force lawyers and submit a summary adjudication with a letter from my doctor rather than the full board. They came back today with my original ratings of 100% DOD and finally PDRL.

From an U.S. Army perspective with 4 years and 17 days on the DoD military TDRL prior to being placed onto the DoD military PDRL in 2018, the DoD Legacy DES (LDES) PEB determines the results for military service members placed onto the TDRL. The DoD LDES PEB process while on TDRL doesn't follow the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process requirement of adapting the DoVA D-RAS provided DoVA disability rating(s) as its DoD disability rating(s).

Unfortunately, the DoD LDES PEB process shall determine the DoD disability rating(s) in accordance with 38 CFR VASRD and are not mandated to use or adapt any DoVA disability rating(s) during the DoD TDRL re-evaluation(s). So, indeed, requesting a FPEB hearing is probably your next action if you disagree with the DoD LDES PEB findings at this point in time.

In retrospect when I was on the DoD military TDRL and I requested a FPEB hearing due to disagreeing with the DoD (Army) LDES PEB findings, all available medical evidence and medical documentation was presented to the FPEB via my assigned military-provided DES attorney. The FPEB didn't ask for the completion of any additional medical examinations so I can't provide an experienced-based response to that particular inquiry. At the end of the FPEB hearing in my own situation, it was recommended that I be continued on the TDRL for another 12 months at that particular point in time. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I was told the exact opposite from a PEBLO that the DOD/PEB must (or are supposed to) use the 38 CFR VASRD for rating purposes. Can you explain the why behind this a little further? @Warrior644

my question is what is the difference? if your VA is 100% and your DoD remains above 30% does the change even matter? does it really only matter if your have 20years of service?

didn't mean to sound rude! I just thought if you are 30% or higher you still get to keep the benefits right?

@btaf

It matters because maybe you will have some residual retired pay it really doesn't matter above 75% for Ch 61 vets since thats the max the DoD pays. So in a hypothetical situation a 80% DoD rated medical retiree will receive the same amount as a 100% if they have the same rank, grade and TIS.

For me it really didn’t change anything, I knew I could get it increased back to the 100% so I appealed just incase they come out with a concurrent receipt I would qualify for in the future.