TDRL Findings Came in today. (NEED HELP FAST )

murphy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Today, I was sort of shocked. I got a call from the outsourcing place and they said my findings were in from my TDRL exams from a year ago. Ya it took a long time. Anyways, I was originaly put on TDRL for PTSD (50%) and DDD for (20%) They had only the PTSD as combat related. So I think that was 60% total when I was placed on TDRL.

I get my findings and I am now to be placed on PDRL @ 80%. 70% PTSD and 20% DDD = 80%.

Now, I am currently 100% VA for PTSD alone with home bound status. Rated (s). When I went to the doctor for the PTSD guy for TDRL, he didnt even have my VA records. So... here is the conundrum I am in.

Do I just accept the 80% and GTFO and be done with it, and let the VA handle it as they have been for the last 2 years? Or do I need to fight this? I am not sure how this works and dont want to make the wrong decision and screw crap up.

Lastly, Could my VA rating now be lowered from 100% because the army found me 80%?

Please anyone with knowledge on this reply asap. I have limited time to get back with them on if I accept or not. Thanks.

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Today, I was sort of shocked. I got a call from the outsourcing place and they said my findings were in from my TDRL exams from a year ago. Ya it took a long time. Anyways, I was originaly put on TDRL for PTSD (50%) and DDD for (20%) They had only the PTSD as combat related. So I think that was 60% total when I was placed on TDRL.

I get my findings and I am now to be placed on PDRL @ 80%. 70% PTSD and 20% DDD = 80%.

Now, I am currently 100% VA for PTSD alone with home bound status. Rated (s). When I went to the doctor for the PTSD guy for TDRL, he didnt even have my VA records. So... here is the conundrum I am in.

Do I just accept the 80% and GTFO and be done with it, and let the VA handle it as they have been for the last 2 years? Or do I need to fight this? I am not sure how this works and dont want to make the wrong decision and screw crap up.

Lastly, Could my VA rating now be lowered from 100% because the army found me 80%?

Please anyone with knowledge on this reply asap. I have limited time to get back with them on if I accept or not. Thanks.
So, your TDRL findings came out as an increase from 50% PTSD TDRL to 70% PDRL?

And, your DDD stayed the same, so you have a total PDRL of 80%?

Are either of your issues combat/combat-related?

80% PDRL is good & will NOT ever go down. Your VA ratings can go up or down.

I got 70% PDRL, but did not get rated on my PTSD - but the VA gave me 70% for it. So you are doing well on this one (at least for compensation purposes) as far as the military rating it.

Your military percentage will never go down - that is the take-away from my thoughts on your situation. And 75% is the highest you can get when DFAS does your PDRL pay calculations. So you have maxed out that part as you got 80%.

DFAS will take your last 36 months of basic pay and give you a 36-month average base pay. Then, you will receive a gross monthly amount of 75% of that 36-month monthly base pay average.

I'm assumong you don't have 20 years in, so your military pay will be subtracted from your VA.

Example: Let's pretend that your military 36-month average base pay is 3,000 per month.
The max the military can pay is 75%, so 75% of 3,000 is 2,250

Let's say your VA is 2,816 per month (100%, single).

Since your VA is greater than your military pay, you won't see any of your PDRL pay.

BUT, if the military says your issues are combat or combat-related, yuou can apply for CRSC and SOME of your military PDRL pay can be paid to you.

You can search this website and find lots of information about CRSC and if you qualify for it.

I'm sure others will chime in here, so stay tuned!

Congrats for surviving this goat-rope! And, for gettting a military rating for your PTSD.

Bout time!V/r,
nwlivewire

ceilingfan

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran

You and your PEBLO are responsible for getting your VA records to the TDRL doctor.

When was your last VA C&P that gave you 100% for the PTSD?

Nwlivewire made a good point about you being maxed on the DoD side of things at 80%.

hsanchez0328

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
From personal experience, I do not believe your 70% for PTSD should have an impact for the VA. I was rated 70% for PTSD/TBI from DoD and only 50% by the VA. You are already maxed out on DoD for retirement purposes at 80%, although you will only get paid at 75% rate like Nwlivewire pointed out. Also, your VA rating can be evaluated at anytime unless you are P&T which will lower the possibilities of you getting reevaluated in the future, but does not mean you will not get reevaluated. As it stands, if you decide to fight for an increase, you might run into the possibility of being put on TDRL again, unless you already hit the 5 year mark, or get a decrease. Again, these are possibilities and if I were you, I would take the 80% Permanent and avoid having to deal with another evaluation in the future.

Also, you mentioned that you are rated at 100% for PTSD from the VA which is combat related, hopefully you have applied for CRSC which would be at a 100% rate and will help recoup some of your retirement pay if you are a Ch. 61 retiree. Best wishes and Congratz.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member

Wow! We are twin brothers in reference to the DoD IDES PEB referred unfit conditions: PTSD (DoD 50% rating with TDRL) and DDD (DoVA 20% rating)! :)

In retrospect, I waited 71 days for receipt of my IPEB findings while in the DoD IDES PEB phase, and there are numerous processing errors within the 29-page documentation yielding to a potential IPEB appeal and one-time DoVA reconsideration.

It's my intent to keep the proposed DoVA 100% rating since I am only one "10% rating" away from being dropped to an overall DoVA 90% rating. More specifically, your DoVA ratings are not permanent and may change unless you meet certain criteria. I remember the "20-year VA rating" criteria, and I believe there is another criteria but I don't recall it.

Moreover, maintaining the DoVA 100% rating yields additional disability compensation for me and my family. The next step is to request via VA Form 21-8940 "Veteran's Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability" if applicable upon living as a disabled military veteran.

If the VA Form 21-8940 is approved, a military veteran shall receive either the "Permanent & Total (P&T)" or "Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability (TDIU)" rating designation which can open the window for Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) eligibility.

To that extent, if a military veteran meet the qualifications for SMC, the DoVA will pay additional tax-free monthly benefits for certain qualifying serious disabilities, or if the military veterans are unemployable, housebound, bedridden, or need regular help from another person in their activities of daily living (ADL).

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">