TDRL Follow Up and Reevaluation - VA 100%; DoD 40%

Redeployment

Registered Member
Placed on TDRL and retired on 01MAR2019. 100% VA Rating, 40% for the referred condition by the DoD.

My question: What is the easiest way to forgo the further reevaluations if I'm satisfied with my rating (100%)? Is there a way to "accept" my findings and be fully placed on PDRL? Even though I'm reimbursed for the travel, I'd rather not have to continue going to DoD appointments...

My condition cannot be cured, so the 40% DoD rating won't come down - and there is almost no instance that my monthly benefits would increase above what I currently receive.

After a reexam, you can file an appeal of the TDRL decision.

Re: A VA rating of 100%

General. Many veterans are satisfied with a 100%; however, unless your VA rating is considered "permanent" by the VA (see VA award letter), it is subject to review.

Without considering PDRL or Chapter 61 retirements, many veterans are reexamined periodically, even with a 100% rating.

The key is the rating being considered "permanent" by the VA. A person can be on the PDRL without having a permanent VA rating. Two different statuses. PDRL pertains to the DoD determination, not VA.

Ron

You seem to have some confusion of the two. The VA rating is it P&T? look at your benefit letters under va.gov if it says yes then as long as you don't file any additional claims you will be good. For DoD you are still temp retired you must go to an exam and they will decide on their own if you should be placed on PDRL or not then for the most part you will be done. You cannot "forgo" these exams if you don't go to the exam your retirement status will be suspended as well as your Tricare benefits.

Re: A VA rating of 100%

General. Many veterans are satisfied with a 100%; however, unless your VA rating is considered "permanent" by the VA (see VA award letter), it is subject to review.

Without considering PDRL or Chapter 61 retirements, many veterans are reexamined periodically, even with a 100% rating.

The key is the rating being considered "permanent" by the VA. A person can be on the PDRL without having a permanent VA rating. Two different statuses. PDRL pertains to the DoD determination, not VA.

Ron
What conditions are re-evaluated. From what I have been told so far it is only the referred condition/ the condition that made me “ unfit “ and has “(unstable)” in the diagnoses on my findings.
Is this correct ?

You are mixing DoD ratings (due to unfitness) and VA ratings which pertain to all service connected disabilities.

Are you on the TDRL or PDRL? There are a couple of different cases in this thread.

Ron

You are mixing DoD ratings (due to unfitness) and VA ratings which pertain to all service connected disabilities.

Are you on the TDRL or PDRL? There are a couple of different cases in this thread.

Ron
I am 50% DoD and 100% VA. My unfit condition was also the “ unstable “ condition.

Are you on the Temporary Disability Retired List OR the Permanent Disability Retired List?
Ron

From Army:

How long can I stay on TDRL?
Answer:
Three years (if placed on date is after 1 January 2017). Five years (if placed on date is prior to 31 December 2016). In accordance with the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2017, tenure for Soldiers placed on TDRL beginning January 1, 2017 is three years. Soldiers placed on prior to this date are grandfathered and will remain at the five year tenure. The law requires that a final determination be made before the third or fifth anniversary of placement on the TDRL. However, you may be removed from the TDRL at an earlier date whenever a periodic examination discloses that your medical condition has stabilized for rating purposes. The law also directs the termination of Army retired pay and all retiree benefits if a final determination is not made at the end of the three or five years. This cannot be waived.

Question: How often will I have to undergo a physical examination, and how will I be scheduled for it?

Answer:
You are required by law to undergo physical examinations at least once every 18 months. However, examinations may be scheduled as early as six (6) months after initial placement on the TDRL if deemed necessary by appropriate medical/disability authorities. Your re-examination month will be reflected in Section 2 of your DA Form 199. The USAPDA will forward a letter to you and the designated Military Treatment Facility (MTF) three (3) months in advance requesting that a physical examination be conducted. After an appointment has been made for you, a representative for the MTF Commander will send you additional correspondence advising you of the exact date and time to report.

Ron

You didnt mention if your 100% VA rating was P&T or not?