TDRL for PTSD/Depression

Does a MTF or the VA do the re eval for TDRL? I should be hearing back from the board this week. With a 40 dod for my back that I've had issues with since 2010 and it will never be better.

I'm also Air Force and just started my first TDRL re-eval. I chose to go the civilian provider route, but as Jeremyays92 said, I was given the option for MTF or VA/civilian provider to perform the evaluation. When I chose the civilian provider route, the AF sent specific instructions on what they needed from the civilian provider. My provider performed a evaluation and sent the results directly to the TDRL office. I followed up with both my provider and the TDRL office by email (documented proof) to ensure everything was sent and received--trust but verify (especially when it comes to potential life-long compensation).

I would recommend taking all medication, ALL recommended treatment and do not resist them at all. In the end, they will find you "non-compliant" for recommended treatment and that won't look good for helping your case. I questioned my psychiatrist last Friday as to why the Air Force would say this in my recent TDRL Re-Evaluation findings and she was clueless. I've made all of my appointments early, taken all medicine, done psychotherapy, speech appointments, neuropsych testing, polytrauma, MRIs, done every lab they've requested of me. Sometimes at the VA all day for 3 appointments. More in my post where I'd like to dispute this false claim. For someone non-compliant, my percentage still maxed out and being retained on TDRL just makes absolute logical sense.:rolleyes: I don't like having to travel halfway across the state for treatment but I want to get better. It's at most 5 years, 3 years for the new people on TDRL since 2017. If you want to keep your benefits, your condition has to not have improved and give them no reason to question your compliance. I wouldn't say it if it did not happen to me already. If you have been unable to cope socially or be gainfully employed because of your condition, that will prove just how much effect it has on living a productive life.

Back story on my history on the TDRL...

I just received findings on a TDRL Re-Evaluation for BPD & PTSD last week. I have been on TDRL for 3 years this March. I went in 2015 for a VA evaluation for a ratings increase. I saw my rating go up by the VA. I never had any contact with the Air Force then however they somehow got a hold of that VA C&P Exam and matched the VA rating to my benefit. The VA & DOD ratings are supposed to be exclusive so I to this day am confused how the Air Force got wind of that exam in 2015 when I had no contact with them.

When I had my most recent TDRL Re-Evaluation for the AF in January, the doctor told me what her recommendation was to be placed on the Permanent Disabled Retirement List and that my condition stabilized. The Doctor who did the evaluation said she was not sure why I had not been permanently retired after that first exam and if I did not receive a permanent retirement this time, I should seek legal counsel. Also said that only once the military did not take her recommendation and it was the Marines who did not based on a mistake. Long story short, I was retained on TDRL for at least another year when I got my findings last week. They will not always go with the doctor's recommendation based on recent experience of mine. I wish I did not hear my Doctor's recommendation because my hopes were up for PDRL and wanted to move on with life. Had I not known, I'd be more at peace over the recent findings for the next year to 2 remaining before TDRL expires in my case. My percentage did not change because I was already at 100% so they told me appeal options are not on the table. I disagree with no appeal being allowed because what if I wanted to pursue PDRL or RTD? Since there was no change, not given appellate rights to fight for the desired outcome of permanent status. I am scheduled for a VA C&P exam this week despite just going through an evaluation 1 month ago.

It seems to be correct that each organization is performing their own evaluations this time around however I am still confused why the AF went with the VA's findings in '15 with no exam of their own but the VA won't use an evaluation by the DOD just performed. As if my condition has drastically changed over the course of a month. For the record, even if you get a PDRL with the military the VA can still examine you for future evaluations until it's ruled P&T. You can appeal for permanent status with them based on the DOD findings and see if that will change your VA status. That's where getting PDRL Status can pay dividends.
I would recommend taking all medication, ALL recommended treatment and do not resist them at all. In the end, they will find you "non-compliant" for recommended treatment and that won't look good for helping your case. I questioned my psychiatrist last Friday as to why the Air Force would say this in my recent TDRL Re-Evaluation findings and she was clueless. I've made all of my appointments early, taken all medicine, done psychotherapy, speech appointments, neuropsych testing, polytrauma, MRIs, done every lab they've requested of me. Sometimes at the VA all day for 3 appointments. More in my post where I'd like to dispute this false claim. For someone non-compliant, my percentage still maxed out and being retained on TDRL just makes absolute logical sense.:rolleyes: I don't like having to travel halfway across the state for treatment but I want to get better. It's at most 5 years, 3 years for the new people on TDRL since 2017. If you want to keep your benefits, your condition has to not have improved and give them no reason to question your compliance. I wouldn't say it if it did not happen to me already. If you have been unable to cope socially or be gainfully employed because of your condition, that will prove just how much effect it has on living a productive life.

Back story on my history on the TDRL...

I just received findings on a TDRL Re-Evaluation for BPD & PTSD last week. I have been on TDRL for 3 years this March. I went in 2015 for a VA evaluation for a ratings increase. I saw my rating go up by the VA. I never had any contact with the Air Force then however they somehow got a hold of that VA C&P Exam and matched the VA rating to my benefit. The VA & DOD ratings are supposed to be exclusive so I to this day am confused how the Air Force got wind of that exam in 2015 when I had no contact with them.

When I had my most recent TDRL Re-Evaluation for the AF in January, the doctor told me what her recommendation was to be placed on the Permanent Disabled Retirement List and that my condition stabilized. The Doctor who did the evaluation said she was not sure why I had not been permanently retired after that first exam and if I did not receive a permanent retirement this time, I should seek legal counsel. Also said that only once the military did not take her recommendation and it was the Marines who did not based on a mistake. Long story short, I was retained on TDRL for at least another year when I got my findings last week. They will not always go with the doctor's recommendation based on recent experience of mine. I wish I did not hear my Doctor's recommendation because my hopes were up for PDRL and wanted to move on with life. Had I not known, I'd be more at peace over the recent findings for the next year to 2 remaining before TDRL expires in my case. My percentage did not change because I was already at 100% so they told me appeal options are not on the table. I disagree with no appeal being allowed because what if I wanted to pursue PDRL or RTD? Since there was no change, not given appellate rights to fight for the desired outcome of permanent status. I am scheduled for a VA C&P exam this week despite just going through an evaluation 1 month ago.

It seems to be correct that each organization is performing their own evaluations this time around however I am still confused why the AF went with the VA's findings in '15 with no exam of their own but the VA won't use an evaluation by the DOD just performed. As if my condition has drastically changed over the course of a month. For the record, even if you get a PDRL with the military the VA can still examine you for future evaluations until it's ruled P&T. You can appeal for permanent status with them based on the DOD findings and see if that will change your VA status. That's where getting PDRL Status can pay dividends.
@californiagirl

TDRL for Bipolar
On a revaluation I saw someone state they went to 20% from 70%. I thought TDRL stipulates the member must also be able to have a “chance” to return to duty? TDRL is for Unstable over 30% and memember can be returned to duty.

So how does a person with Bipolar I get returned to duty? Bipolar is disqualifying from all services (at least the USAF). Should have never gone to TDRL in the first place or never get a rating lower than 30% on the reval. I understand it can be more lucrative for some member to get lump some money, but very few.

I'm also Air Force and just started my first TDRL re-eval. I chose to go the civilian provider route, but as Jeremyays92 said, I was given the option for MTF or VA/civilian provider to perform the evaluation. When I chose the civilian provider route, the AF sent specific instructions on what they needed from the civilian provider. My provider performed a evaluation and sent the results directly to the TDRL office. I followed up with both my provider and the TDRL office by email (documented proof) to ensure everything was sent and received--trust but verify (especially when it comes to potential life-long compensation).
How did the re-eval go? Do you think you had a better follow-up with the civilian provider than with a military one? I ask because I'm coming up on my first re-eval.

How did the re-eval go? Do you think you had a better follow-up with the civilian provider than with a military one? I ask because I'm coming up on my first re-eval.
Re-eval went well. I was eval'd by a civilian psychologist. He's former Army---he nailed exactly my issues. Best doc I've had yet...and he only knew me for an hour or two! Guess it just depends on the doctor you get. Very pleased with how that went though. I made sure the TDRL office received all the paperwork before they needed it. Anyway, PTSD went from 50 to 70%, Air Force matched the 70% and they recommended PDRL at an overall 80% rate. (which I took).

Congratz Wally3430 - That's awesome! For your reeval, how do the percentages work? Are they only reconsidered on the DoD side or does the VA also reconsider what they awarded you initially?

You are correct "Warrior644 , I just recently got my finding from the PEB from my reevaluation findings. I retired July 2016 with a 70% rating from DOD for (PTSD) and 100% rating from the VA. My reevaluation was July 2017 and I received my findings this week from the board. I was taken off TDRL and placed on Permanent Disability Retirement at the same rating of 70% DOD. While on TDRL I continued to take my medication and go to counseling on a bi-weekly basis.

Do you mind me asking was there any increase in pay? I am 100% P&T VA for PTSD. 50% TDRL DoD. I just did my first PEB evaluation this week. He showed me he is recommending me for PDRL. I also provided VA commissary letter stating I’m P&T as well as doctor visits and notes. Thank you in advance

Indeed, you are quite welcome! No worries; respond wherever you have the time if you so choose. :)

In retrospect, please view this URL http://www.pebforum.com/threads/sec...ility-retirement-list-tdrl.37806/#post-177638 for an update concerning placement onto the DoD military TDRL. As such, I was not grandfathered to the new TDRL time duration; therefore, it's still a full five year time frame in my particular situation unfortunately.

Historically, at this time, it would seem that quite a few of military disabled retirees placed onto the DoD TDRL for a mental disorder are receiving a DoD PDRL recommendation on their first TDRL re-evaluation. There isn't any concrete proof of my assumption other than reading other PEB Forum member's posts who mentioned receiving a "first-time" DoD PDRL adjudication. In fact, I too was offered a DoD PDRL adjudication during my initial/first TDRL re-evaluation in 2015, but I appealed the LDES PEB decision because I felt that the DoD (Army) rating was "lowballed" to 70% from the DoVA comprehensive examination results yielding a 100% rating. Hmm, am I being punished by the US. Army for not accepting their initial PDRL offer in 2015, maybe (in my opinion) but will not sign any official DoD LDES PEB documentation while placed onto the DoD TDRL that contains erroneous information!

That all said, please remember that every individual's TDRL case file is different so different results shall definitely occur. Ensure that only you decide what's best for you and your family while placed onto the DoD TDRL for a total of three year at its maximum now. For me, I have reached my maximum benefit level of medical treatment (e.g., no more behavioral health therapy & no more behavioral health classes) that can be offered for my PTSD+MDD with severe psychosis medical conditions. So, currently, I only see my DoVA Psychiatrist every three months for VA prescription medication renewal. He always ask me how I am doing and I always respond with the same answer every time for the past 3.8 years!

To that extent, I am confident that the U.S. Army's TDRL PEB shall finally render a DoD PDRL adjudication during my upcoming (e.g., third and hopefully final) TDRL re-evaluation in May 2018 since I have been awarded a DoVA P&T rating (e.g., a "permanent and stable" finding for DoD rating purposes) since December 2015. If not, I shall definitely appeal the TDRL LDES PEB decision (once again), and hopefully receive a final favorable outcome inclusive of a DoD PDRL finding with an appropriate DoD (Army) 100% rating. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

TDRL for Bipolar
On a revaluation I saw someone state they went to 20% from 70%. I thought TDRL stipulates the member must also be able to have a “chance” to return to duty? TDRL is for Unstable over 30% and memember can be returned to duty.

So how does a person with Bipolar I get returned to duty? Bipolar is disqualifying from all services (at least the USAF). Should have never gone to TDRL in the first place or never get a rating lower than 30% on the reval. I understand it can be more lucrative for some member to get lump some money, but very few.

From what I was told they send most of the mental health cases to TDRL. My psychologist said it's pretty dumb, considering something like bipolar disorder is not going to ever get better. She said most of the time people just get sent to PDRL after they are reeval'd.

Hey all, thanks for the responses and guidance you give in the forums. I just wanted to post an update for my case:

I separated from the USAF in Feb 2018 and was transitioned smoothly into the local VA system for follow up care through my PEBLO and other coordinators (too many to count). I continued to see a psychiatrist at a local VA clinic here for the past year, in addition to a PCP at another VA clinic for other minor health issues. He basically just did minor medication adjustments over the year (I still have issues with sleep, mood, memory and thoughts) and I had a follow up about every 2-6 weeks. I didn't do any counseling therapy, as I have been through most of it, and it gets repetitive.

I had incidental follow up requested by someone at the VA last September, where I saw a private duty PsyD, and he submitted documentation that my rating stay at 70. The whole day I was sick because I get emotional when talking about what I been through... anyway... This month one of the coordinators contacted me and told me I should be having a follow up this month because I got out a year exactly... However, the board that convened for my case just used the evaluation I had from the PsyD last September. They didn't re-evaluate my other health conditions (sinusitus, headaches, hemorrhoids) I believe because I'm at 70% for MDD/PTSD which is already pretty much max as far as the DoD is concerned. The PEB recommendation is to switch me from TDRL to PR. I told the Psychologist last September, I had been in therapy since 2012... I know it's typical to set members on TDRL for pscyh issues, and once someone sees it's been a long time they realize it's not going anywhere. Either that or I just got lucky. Who knows :confused:

Hey all, thanks for the responses and guidance you give in the forums. I just wanted to post an update for my case:

I separated from the USAF in Feb 2018 and was transitioned smoothly into the local VA system for follow up care through my PEBLO and other coordinators (too many to count). I continued to see a psychiatrist at a local VA clinic here for the past year, in addition to a PCP at another VA clinic for other minor health issues. He basically just did minor medication adjustments over the year (I still have issues with sleep, mood, memory and thoughts) and I had a follow up about every 2-6 weeks. I didn't do any counseling therapy, as I have been through most of it, and it gets repetitive.

I had incidental follow up requested by someone at the VA last September, where I saw a private duty PsyD, and he submitted documentation that my rating stay at 70. The whole day I was sick because I get emotional when talking about what I been through... anyway... This month one of the coordinators contacted me and told me I should be having a follow up this month because I got out a year exactly... However, the board that convened for my case just used the evaluation I had from the PsyD last September. They didn't re-evaluate my other health conditions (sinusitus, headaches, hemorrhoids) I believe because I'm at 70% for MDD/PTSD which is already pretty much max as far as the DoD is concerned. The PEB recommendation is to switch me from TDRL to PR. I told the Psychologist last September, I had been in therapy since 2012... I know it's typical to set members on TDRL for pscyh issues, and once someone sees it's been a long time they realize it's not going anywhere. Either that or I just got lucky. Who knows :confused:
Indeed and nonetheless, congratulations on a DoD LDES PEB (USAF) recommendation to be placed onto the DoD military PDRL. As such, enjoy life and take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Congrats! I just got my recommendation from the board for TDRL for PTSD and migraines. I want PDRL. Do you have any tips besides to keep going to appointments and taking my medication. Counseling hasn’t helped and I’m looking for someone who does EMDR. Any feedback would be great considering I’m just starting this process
Thanks

The most important thing the VA looks at IMO is medication. I have several medications for sleeping, mood and then my other issues, like hemorrhoids. Make sure to tell your PCP or mental health provider about your troubles. Surely if I went into my appointments saying everything is fine, I think it would be hard to retain the retirement. One of my best buddies was marine infantry, and he never went to the VA to claim anything (I'm sure he could get a decent percent). It's all about what you tell your providers about your health.

Thank you for your response... I take Seroquel 150, klonipin 1mg tid, Wellbutrin 150, Zoloft 200, Topamax 25... are they any meds you could suggest? I’m still not sleeping... so you don’t go to a psychologist for counseling?
Thank u

Hi! I have PTSD and chronic migraines. I had a question regarding a comment you made about counseling. You stated you have follow-ups about every 2-6 weeks but not counseling. If you don't mind my asking, what are the follow-ups for then? I ask because I've been in counseling for about 3 years now and things aren't getting any better. Not only do I keep getting transitioned to other providers, but I've gone through the gamete as far as trying the "talk" therapies out. It's exhausting given they want me to go ever 1-2 weeks. If a DM is more appropriate, I'd sure appreciate the insight. All-in-all, I'm tired of therapy and after doing EMDR for ~4 months, my symptoms have gotten significantly worse. Thanx!

Cantdeal and Caligirl,

You are on several of the same type of medication, and those are enough to tranquilize a horse... I personally can't tell you what to take as medications are such a personal thing. They do completely different things in different people. If you need that much medication to sleep and feel good, you should be at least at 70% DOD...but that rating is symptom based.

I have been through most of the groups as well... and I didn't want to go back through them. My appointments were with a psychiatrist only, they did med adjustments and checked in with me every few weeks. I felt the same, the group sessions are too much honestly. Everything is case by case though. My history goes back 8 years.