TDRL is now 3 years instead of 5? Help!

catherinemedboard

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am now a veteran who in the past few months have been placed on TDRL. Recently I went to base to get a new Veteran ID card since the old one had my married last name. Apparently there was an error in my card which scanned the expiration date to 2020 instead of 2022. When the gentleman at the DEERS lab called someone to ask about it they said that TDRL is no longer 5 years, so then he printed on my NEW ID the expiration date to 2020. I went home and did research and checked my emails. I have received NO NOTIFICATION on this update? Is there a new instruction I'm missing out in? I searched my emails and couldn't find a single one letting me know of this change? I thought I would be considered "grandfathered in" to the 5 year TDRL since I've been out since May. Please help!

I am now a veteran who in the past few months have been placed on TDRL. Recently I went to base to get a new Veteran ID card since the old one had my married last name. Apparently there was an error in my card which scanned the expiration date to 2020 instead of 2022. When the gentleman at the DEERS lab called someone to ask about it they said that TDRL is no longer 5 years, so then he printed on my NEW ID the expiration date to 2020. I went home and did research and checked my emails. I have received NO NOTIFICATION on this update? Is there a new instruction I'm missing out in? I searched my emails and couldn't find a single one letting me know of this change? I thought I would be considered "grandfathered in" to the 5 year TDRL since I've been out since May. Please help!
Upon exciting your M.E.B. your PEBLO tells you and it's in your final paperwork. It started Jan. 2017 and anything prior to that date is grandfathered in to remain 5 years TDRL. So if May 2017 was your date then it's 3 years TDRL.