TDRL just approved for SSDI

LAB1982

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I EASed on 30 October 2019 with 70%DOD and 100%P&T VA. The SSA recently updated my SSDI application status to "Approved". I just completed my final move to Texas and am in the process of trying to figure out all my enrollment requirements. I am having issues with the MILConnect website while trying to register for Tricare. I have heard that my SSDI approval will change my medical benefits. Is anyone able explain to me what I need to do to establish medical benefits for myself and my husband. Do I now need to be enrolled in MEDICARE part B and how does that work with the VA and TRICARE for our medical care? Also, how do I establish my dental? Is my husband eligible for treatment? I know there is a deadline for enrollment and I just want to ensure I complete the enrollement for our family, correctly and in the right time frame. This is confusing. Thanks for any help or resources that can point me in the right direction.

Call milconnect if you cant register online enroll in VA care at your nearest VA facility, at the VA they have dental and eye clinics if they cant get you in soon they will refer you to community care which is an outside provider. By federal law you must enroll in Medicare Part B iif you have Tricare BUT there is a two year wait before you are eligible so you will be using either Tricare Select or Prime. Your spouse will be eligible for Tricare as a dependent for dental and eye its through FEDVIP BENEFEDS temporarily unavailable due to scheduled release update I consider this a bad deal for 100% vets since the primary sponsor must also be enrolled even though you have your own free dental and eye through the VA. Two other timelines you are on are for VGLI which is four months without providing a statement on good health and S-DVI which is two years from your last VA rating, if you pass on these the likelihood of you getting life insurance elsewhere will most likely not be possible or be very low like 20K.

When you get approved for SSDI, a 2 year clock will start. At the end of the two years you’ll have to enroll in Medicare, and specifically part B.

you can opt out of part B, but you’d better have a plan if you do. I opted out because my wife is still active duty and so I use her Tricare as a dependent, this saving myself a lot of money in part B premiums.

if you don’t have some other solid plan for insurance like I do, you’ll definitely want to sign up for part B.

As state above, there is a waiting period for Medicare. If you keep your address up to date in the SSA records you will get notice of when you are Medicare eligible. You get Part A for "free." You must purchase Part B. If you do not purchase Part B you will pay a higher premium at a later date to get part B (there re some exceptions). Tricare for Life requires that you purchase part B. Once you have Medicare and Tricare for Life, you should be in good shape for most medical expense. There are exceptions Pharmacy will have a copay in most circumstances unless you go through the VA/DoD pharmacy, glasses will not be covered unless you go through a military installation or the VA, dental can obtained through the VA since you are 100% P&T.