TDRL Message Questions

team_player54

Registered Member
So this is my first post and I'm assuming this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find an exact answer.

I have signed my paperwork to medically retire with 70/70 VA and DOD respectively. Now that this is over, I have zero idea of what is supposed to happen next.

I have been briefed on how to put in for separation orders, and I am currently building that package. But I am supposed to include a copy of my "TDRL Message" which is allegedly the message that is sent to my command about my separation date. I have received a message about my TDRL, but I don't know if it's the message that's supposed to be in my orders package.

Now for my three questions:

1) Am I right about the TDRL message being the statement received in message traffic by my command?

2) The TDRL message sent to my command says my separation date is December 28th. Is this the actual date I am getting out, or is this more of a "No later than" date, where I put in for orders to separate between now and that date? (I was told along the way that I would have some say in when I actually separate and I wanted to be out as quickly as possible since I have a job lined up and 28DEC is pretty far down the road even with 33 days of terminal)

3) Outside of doing my exit interview with the VA, I have no idea what's really going on at this point and no one seems to know either. Would someone be able to just give a brief walkthrough of this process? I like to stay informed and ahead of the game so I can try and see any possible curve balls coming my way.

Thank you in advance!

For those of you who want to know the general timeline for my medical board:

Start: 31JAN19
C&P Exams: ~FEB
NARSUM Received: 28APR19
NARSUM Sent to PEB: 21MAY19
VA Closed Case: 07AUG19

DoD and VA Findings Returned & Signed: 12SEP19
Command TDRL Traffic Received: 19SEP19

I am looking forward to see others provide some answers on this because I don't have any experience with the TDRL. I do know that the separation date is supposed to allow for your outprocessing time and any leave you have accrued. I am planning on going back to work for my civilian employer as soon as I am done out processing.

So I did some more digging and it looks as if the information in the TDRL message is usually supposed to stay out of the individuals hands and is more for the command and PSD to use as a hard date for when I need to be out. So realistically this date should be trivial to me and the orders will still be the deciding factor on what day I'm leaving the military.

If I find anymore information then I'll be sure to update this post for everyone!

So I did some more digging and it looks as if the information in the TDRL message is usually supposed to stay out of the individuals hands and is more for the command and PSD to use as a hard date for when I need to be out. So realistically this date should be trivial to me and the orders will still be the deciding factor on what day I'm leaving the military.

If I find anymore information then I'll be sure to update this post for everyone!
How long after the message did you receive orders? I got my message on 24 Jan and still haven’t received orders. Admin sent back and requested my separation date to be 1 March, but I’m still here with no orders.

How long after the message did you receive orders? I got my message on 24 Jan and still haven’t received orders. Admin sent back and requested my separation date to be 1 March, but I’m still here with no orders.
That would be valuable information. Hopefully, you will hear from Team_Player54, but he has not been here recently, "Last seen Oct 25, 2019."

Ron

Good afternoon,

I guess I am just looking for some advice and maybe to see what others who are in the same circumstances may have experienced. I retired in January 2015 but prior to retiring I had went through PEB process. The findings that they came back with was 70% DoD/90% VA and they recommended that I be separated at 19 years. So I submitted a request to be permanent LIMDU so I could get to 20 years and retire which was granted. So I retired in January 2015 at 20 years and was placed on TDRL for a 5 year period. The 5 year period expired this past January and I had not been re-evaluated. So, they shut off my pension and I ended up having to schedule a revaluation at Ft Hood which I attended. That was in mid February. I haven't heard back from anyone or been given any kind of timeframe on what I should expect. Now that the Corona virus situation is going on I'm not very hopeful.

Just wondering if anyone is in similar circumstances and if so what are your thoughts on how long it will take to get this resolved? Thanks for any advice you can lend in this situation. Take care!

Hello,

Re: " So I retired in January 2015 at 20 years ..."

Is that 20 good years for a reserve retirement once you meet the age requirement or 20 years active duty for a regular retirement?

Ron

This is from our discussion in February 2020:

Me
: IF you have 20 years of active duty, you qualify for a regular retirement...now.

If you have 20 good years and have met the age requirement for reserve/NG retirement, you can apply now to receive it. If you have not met the age requirement for reserve retirement, then you must wait.

I assume the Navy is scheduling you for evaluations. Odd, that you were not notified of the end of TDRL. I hope all the entities involved have your current mailing address.

Ron

Edited to add: An individual does not accrue retirement credit (i.e., AD time) for time spent on the TDRL. I mention this only because I ran into one person who thought it did accrue AD time.
----
You:
Thank you for your response. This situation has really caught me off guard. I will be talking to the Navy later today to get the re-evaluation scheduled so maybe I will have some more info then. I'm also gonna stop by my Congressman's office and see what they can help me with. Thanks again.

I had 20 years all active duty. I had forgotten that I posted on here in February, lol. I had made sure that the Navy always had my current mailing address because I was told that they would be scheduling an evaluation sometime within that 5 years TDRL time. I guess it's a good thing that I am getting VA compensation or else I might be in pretty bad shape.

Good afternoon,

I guess I am just looking for some advice and maybe to see what others who are in the same circumstances may have experienced. I retired in January 2015 but prior to retiring I had went through PEB process. The findings that they came back with was 70% DoD/90% VA and they recommended that I be separated at 19 years. So I submitted a request to be permanent LIMDU so I could get to 20 years and retire which was granted. So I retired in January 2015 at 20 years and was placed on TDRL for a 5 year period. The 5 year period expired this past January and I had not been re-evaluated. So, they shut off my pension and I ended up having to schedule a revaluation at Ft Hood which I attended. That was in mid February. I haven't heard back from anyone or been given any kind of timeframe on what I should expect. Now that the Corona virus situation is going on I'm not very hopeful.

Just wondering if anyone is in similar circumstances and if so what are your thoughts on how long it will take to get this resolved? Thanks for any advice you can lend in this situation. Take care!

Since you qualify for a regular retirement, you are entitled to CRDP.

Recommend your purse the matter aggressively. @chaplaincharlie might be able to recommend who you can contact initially. DFAS will not do anything until they receive the appropriate documentation (i.e., status change) from the DoD. It seems you would be transferred to the PDRL.

Ron

Contact BUPERS

My guess is you are owed a considerable amount of money.