TDRL Pay

ZDOlson

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

I recieved my results from the IPEB about a month ago. I was found unfit, transfer to TDRL, 50% VA / 30% DoD. In the information packet I recieved it specifically mentions "retirees on TDRL are entitled to a minimum of 50% of their base pay...if a member with less than 20 years active duty (I just hit 2 yrs) rated 30% or 40% disabled and is placed on TDRL, this person would receive as a minimum 50% base pay..." My med board office isn't answering their phones or returning emails so I pose this question: is the entitlement to 50% base pay while on TDRL in addition to the 50% disabililty compensation (~$986/month) I will recieve, is it one or the other, or will I only see the disability compensation for my VA ratings?

I appreciate any insight. Thank you.

You will receive high two average base pay x 50% = retired pay (your case will be average base pay over two years rather than three)(your case will be average base pay over two years rather than three)

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation. You keep any left over pay

You will receive your VA compensation.

You are not eligible for CRDP.

If you believe you have combat related disabilities, check out the CRSC page under RESOURCES.

Ron

You will receive high TWO average base pay x 50% = retired pay (your case will be average base pay over two years rather than three)

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation. You keep any left over pay

You will receive your VA compensation.

You are not eligible for CRDP.

If you believe you have combat related disabilities, check out the CRSC page under RESOURCES.

Ron
Just following up on this because I was able to extend my medical retirement to almost 3 years ( 2 years, 355 days). Wondering if you have a reference to the high three (now, not 2) x 50% calculation? VA, DFAS, and USMC IPAC have all been less that helpful.

Just following up on this because I was able to extend my medical retirement to almost 3 years ( 2 years, 355 days). Wondering if you have a reference to the high three (now, not 2) x 50% calculation? VA, DFAS, and USMC IPAC have all been less that helpful.

Reference:
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 3

[General.]

*010203. Retired Pay Multiplier There are three methods for computing a retired pay multiplier, depending on the applicable retirement system. For each of these methods, a member retired with a physical disability may alternatively have their retired pay multiplier calculated using their percentage of disability, up to a maximum of 75 percent. The years of service for computing retired pay for Regular retirement are generally the total of years of active service. For non-Regular (Reserve/Guard) members, the years of service are the total of accumulated drill points combined with one point each day of active duty divided by 360. See section 0104 for determining years of service creditable for computing retired pay

a. The retired pay base for a member with 36 or more months of active service is the average monthly basic pay the member received over their highest earning 36 months

Reference:
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 3

0302 BASIC COMPUTATION

b. The retired pay base for a member with less than 36 months of active service is the member’s basic pay for the entire period of the member’s active service added together divided by the number of months (including any fractions thereof) of the member’s active service. In the case of a Reserve component member, this is the total amount of basic pay to which the member was entitled or to which the member would have been entitled if the member had served on active duty during the entire period before being retired. Divide the total pay by the total time expressed as months and days, count days that are less than 30 as 1/30th of a month. Round the result to the nearest cent.

The original poster had two years active duty and a 30% DoD disability rating. Those on the TDRL will be paid at the higher of 50% or the longevity multiplier for computation of retired pay.

Ron