TDRL/ PDRL

Thankful

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good Evening,

If a person is has over 20 years of service and is going through the IDES process; is it not automatic for them to be on the PDRL list? I have chronic mental health problems along with other illnesses.
I will be going to a med board in August for Combat-related PTSD, Migraines, MDD, Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury. Would it make any sense to put me on TDRL? I am active duty Navy and will hit 20 years June 23, 2020. Currently stationed at Great Lakes, IL

Unfortunately mental health per regulation not less than 50%, TDRL. You will have to be re-evaluated 6 months following discharge. At that re-eval there is chance for your rating to go up and also be placed PDRL. I have just gone through the same process for mental health. I am at 21 years, Army, have all the same symptoms plus a few more. I was given 50% DOD TDRL and 100% VA. Don't get discouraged by the regs just show up to your appointment and describe your WORST day, not how you are currently feeling.

Unfortunately mental health per regulation not less than 50%, TDRL. You will have to be re-evaluated 6 months following discharge. At that re-eval there is chance for your rating to go up and also be placed PDRL. I have just gone through the same process for mental health. I am at 21 years, Army, have all the same symptoms plus a few more. I was given 50% DOD TDRL and 100% VA. Don't get discouraged by the regs just show up to your appointment and describe your WORST day, not how you are currently feeling.
Hello,

Re: 50% TDRL and 21 years (active duty I assume)

Your retired pay would be 52.5% x high three rather than 50% authorized by the TDRL since your longevity percentage is higher.

Since you apparently qualify for CRDP, you will receive your full longevity retired pay amount plus VA compensation.

If your TDRL percentage had been higher than the computed longevity percentage, that would result in disability retirement percentage x high three. The retired pay would be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received and CRDP would restore the longevity amount. CRDP does not restore waived retired pay in excess of the longevity amount.

Ron

Hello,

Re: 50% TDRL and 21 years (active duty I assume)

Your retired pay would be 52.5% x high three rather than 50% authorized by the TDRL since your longevity percentage is higher.

Since you apparently qualify for CRDP, you will receive your full longevity retired pay amount plus VA compensation.

If your TDRL percentage had been higher than the computed longevity percentage, that would result in disability retirement percentage x high three. The retired pay would be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received and CRDP would restore the longevity amount. CRDP does not restore waived retired pay in excess of the longevity amount.

Ron
Ron, I appreciate the reply and explanation. I have just received those ratings today. I’m still a little unsure which would be the better route to go. My PEBLO explained most of it to me however it was a little confusing the way it was explained. I was stuck on the CRDP aspect of it. I’m over 20 so I should get paid both, but I’m still a little confused as to how this works. I’ll have a sit down later next to go over all the ratings and stuff. But maybe you can help me get a better grasp of this?

Hello Thomas,

I would be glad to help.

Here is a scenario for a retiree with exactly 20 years AD and receives a DoD disability rating at 60% (selected rate) and VA comp at 100% (selected rate):

High three: 4000 (example figure)
VA comp: 3000 (example amount)
DoD percentage, disability: 60% (example)
Regular retirement percentage: 50% (20 yrs x 2.5%)

1. 4000 x 0.60 = 2400 disability retired pay
2. 2400 minus 3000 VA amount = zero retired pay remaining
3. CRDP restores longevity portion of retired pay: 4000 x 0.50 = 2000
4. Retiree would receive 3000 VA comp plus 2000 CRDP = 5000 each month

Ron

Since you will be over 20 at the time of your PEB you should be given PDRL if found unfit.

Ron, does this apply to all MH related retirements. Im over 20 and I was given TDRL instead of PDRL.

TDRL and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) The Veterans Benefits Administration Schedule for Rating Disabilities applies an automatic rating of not less than 50 percent for mental disorders due to traumatic stress, but requires that a follow-up examination be scheduled within the six-month period following the veteran's discharge or placement on the TDRL to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. 17 Currently the TDRL is the only mechanism at the disposal of the DoD that supports continued contact and reassessments in cases where mental disorders due to traumatic stress are diagnosed and listed as an unfitting condition during the MEB process.

I went on to the Navy Personnel Command website under disability retirements and it specifically stated 20 years or longer will be placed on PDRL.

Hello Thomas,

Re: "Ron, does this apply to all MH related retirements. Im over 20 and I was given TDRL instead of PDRL. .."

I'm sorry, my expertise is in financial matters including CRSC computations.

I did not go through a medical board...I had no evident disabilities upon my regular retirement in 1991.

Ron

Ok look - I just got my results 2 weeks ago. Active duty Navy with 23 years in; rated 100% DOD and VA. TDRL solely because of mental health. Once re-evaluated, if no change you’ll go to PDRL. Expect TDRL at least 50% if found unfit. If you get PDRL, good for you but it’s rare for mental health. I’ve had mental health issues since 2011.

I went on to the Navy Personnel Command website under disability retirements and it specifically stated 20 years or longer will be placed on PDRL.

This doesn’t matter for mental health. ZMH is considered unstable and they anticipate that since your getting treatment that condition will improve. They give it some time and if it doesn’t improve then you go PDRL...

I have been on limited duty for 12 months. Kicked out of 1 racist IOP Alexian Brothers Hoffman Estates, IL, two IOP’s Lake Behavioral Waukegan, Il and just returned from Laurel Ridge, Inpatient (combat PTSD) in San Antonio, Texas. Still having symptoms. They are wasting their time putting me on TDRL.

You may feel that way, but that’s the process. Wasting time is what they do best - if your mental health issues are that bad now, then they’ll still be that way 18 months from now so just roll with it.

Hi, as far as I know, the owners can't make any changes in the legal stuff. I'm not a professional, but some time ago, I discussed these points with Estate Planning, Wills & Trusts | Southwest Portland Law Group on a meeting I had about my future business. I'm sure there is a way to change the details you've mentioned. However, if the zone the game was published in doesn't approve that, there's not much you can do. On top, a business with games should have some point that isn't very convenient for their clients to pay fines.

Thank you for checking in. I am at day 165 or something with the medical officer. Still waiting

We’ll get through bud, I went to one inpatient treatment facility in Petersburg, VA, and half the patients there caught COVID while there (myself included). Keep in mind we were all vaccinated, and the place was dirty as hell, meaning a worker brought it in, then it spread like it would in a nursing home. What is even crazier is that the 10 days we were sick and symptomatic, they used that time as “treatment” time. Even though we were obviously too sick to receive any beneficial treatment. I am at a month and a half.

So after reading about 20 threads on here and watching YouTube videos, I'm still lost....

I will say I am very displeased at my entire medical retirement process, from the lack of Army personnel not knowing how to advise to the PEBLO to the Retirement Service Officer.

Army/ National Guard
Captain /O3E
Spouse /3 kids (under age 18)
20 Years Total Service
16 years Active Duty (5816 Points)
70 % DOD
100% VA ($4,950)
High 3 $8,357
CRSC packet submitted (Probably get 100% CAB/multiple deployments/PACT Act

The RSO said I would get retirement immediately since I'm in the Guard with no offset since I'm over 15 years active and more than 20 total and over 50 with VA. I really don't think she is right, hopefully I don't have to wait until age 58 with deployments to draw DOD retirement.

Any help that anyone can help with is much appreciated. A dang shame we give all to the military and when we leave, we just thrown to the side.