TDRL question

Adamnlara

PEB Forum Regular Member
I have been hearing mixed answers on what my TDRL compensation will be.
I am facing TDRL at 100% for my kidney disease. Does this mean i will get 100% of my retirement? (50% of my base pay) Or will i get 100% of my base pay per month?

Thanks in advance

Adam

The maximum you can get is 75%.

Likely what will happen is that all or most of your DoD retirement will be off-set by your VA compensation.

If you ever become eligible for concurrent receipt, you will receive 100% of you VA compensation and a DoD retirement based on your years of service.

Mike

Just to be clear, is that 75% of my base pay?

And, even though i am getting 100% disability from the AF. I can still go down to the VA and look into more disability? I always thought that you could only get up to 100% total (example: 60% military 40% VA)

Thanks again.

It is 75% of your base pay.

If there is an offset, it is not based on adding percentages. It would work by subtracting the smaller award from the greater award. Hope this is not confusing, but remember, the VA compensation is not taxable, while in the majority of instances the DoD compensation is.

It is not helpful to you to compare the percentages between the systems to arrive at your compensation. The VA compensation is tied to a schedule of steps, so the percentage is not a percentage of a fixed number, it is only a step on a scale. You have to look at the actual dollars you would receive on each side.

But, yes, you can and should file for VA compensation separately from DoD compensation.