TDRL to PDRL. VA kept rating...DoD drastically decreased

Verschie

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all. Sorry if this has been answered before, but I tried to look through the forums. I'm freaking out a bit because I never really got much info on what would happen in my scenario. When I was placed on TDRL, I chose the VA's 80% rating instead of DoD's 70%. I just had my 1 year re-eval. The VA wants to keep me at 80%, while DoD decreased me to 30% but recommends changing my disability to permanent. Permanent sounds great, but I am confused if my compensation will drastically reduce since DoD decreased my rating to 30%...or is it still 80% per VA's ratings while still transferring to PDRL? Sorry if this sounds confusing. I'm a little flustered since my VA pay is my only source of income. Thank you!

Also, I didn't want to sign the AF Form 1180 without knowing 100% what was going on. I contacted my WW rep, but I won't hear from him until tomorrow.

Are you VA rating permanent or temporary?

From another thread where you said you were 80% VA and 30% DoD.
(In this thread, you also said, "The VA wants to keep me at 80%, while DoD decreased me to 30%., but recommends changing my disability to permanent. ")

Verschie

From the info you provided:

--You will be medically retired at 30%
--Your VA comp is 80%
--Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of the VA comp each month
--You are eligible for TRICARE

Ron

I just looked at my benefits letter and no, I am not P&T according to the VA.
You can not be permanent and total at 80%. P&T requires 100% and permanent ratings. Are your 80% ratings permanent? You may have to call the VA to find out.

Most medical retirees under 20 years of service, only get VA because their VA pay is more than their DoD pay. So knowing if your VA ratings are permanent is important. As long as DoD stay at or above 30% you retain health insurance through TriCare.

Thank you for the info.
Most medical retirees under 20 years of service, only get VA because their VA pay is more than their DoD pay. So knowing if your VA ratings are permanent is important. As long as DoD stay at or above 30% you retain health insurance through TriCare.
My Va ratings are not permanent.

Thank you for the info.

My Va ratings are not permanent.
From working on another site for ten years+ where most of the members were not DoD disability retirees, it seemed most ratings were not permanent. However, that does not mean they were reduced at any time. They were just subject to periodic reviews via C&P exams.

I received VA comp for more than a decade before recurrent cancer caused my rating to become permanent. Obviously, I am still here.

Ron

Ok, that puts me a little more at ease. I was just confused, thinking TDRL percentages were directly connected to my VA disability/compensation this whole time. Thank you for all the info.

Ok, that puts me a little more at ease. I was just confused, thinking TDRL percentages were directly connected to my VA disability/compensation this whole time. Thank you for all the info.
DoD ratings are applicable to only the disabilities that cause the individual to be unfit for continued service. VA ratings are applicable to all service connected disabilities.

Once a person is placed on the permanent disability retired list, that rating does not change. VA ratings can change if not permanent; however, many/most remain intact.

Ron

I take the PDRL and call it a day.