Temp Duty, Sub DQ, Denuked.

waynewynter

Registered Member
So I had a scalp issue since joining the navy. It started out as a small bump on the middle of my head but over the years its gotten to be a larger more unsighlty area. I went to a dermo about it but I wasnt able to follow up because right after the boat changed home ports. So recently I had 5 yr physical done and I informed the UMO of my issue and went to the dermo, but before that the umo said I was unfit to receive ionizing radiation. My boat doc found out and told me that he got rid of that rad screening the umo did *wink wink* so I could stand watch again and see what to dermo said. I went to the dermo they took a punch sample and he called me back and said it wasnt cancer or any of the things he test for so he was sure it was an infection and that i was on the right meds. The boat was leaving soon so the boat doc had me go back to the UMO before the underway. However, the Dermo said the meds would take time, so I was still found unfit because the umo asked does it get worse underway and I said yes because its on my scalp and eventually I have to cut my hair underway and I dont have the same resources I use at home to avoid niking it and I also began to associate other itching sensations I would get underway due to the fact i found out it was a longrunning infection im my body which made sense now! So now I'm temp duty and all the dermo wanted to do was to see me back in a month to see how the meds are working and I'm seeing progress in them, but all I'm hearing from everyone else is Force conversion, Sub DQ and denuked...Is that if i stay temp? Or is there a way to fix this, this is happing so fast one moment i was getting ready to go to sea and the next im standing QD watch somewhere hearing how I'm getting denuked...this is really scary!

Wayne,

If your treatment is successful, there's no reason for you to be disqualified. While I was LIMDU, I worked with a fellow nuc ET who was recovering following treatment for testicular cancer. He made a full recovery, made Chief, and went back to the nuc fleet. So it's by no means a guarantee - it simply depends on the timeline of your recovery and whether or not your treatment is disqualifying. Make sure you're working closely with your doctor, your LIMDU coordinator, and PSD so everyone's on the same page.

Regards,

Carl