Temporary Rating for Back Condition?

Crispy Bojangles

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I originally posted this on my MEB timeline thread, but I feel it would be better served in this forum.

So I just received my 199 today, and was rated temporarily on PTSD (as expected) but also on my back. I have been seen for my back consistently since 2010. Their justification for the temporary rating was that statistically, with three years of treatment, many symptoms can be relieved. With 10 years of treatment, is there anything I can do at this point to fight for permanency? I get the PTSD, but fighting for the next 3 years to keep my 40% for my back (a large contributing factor to my 100%) just seems exhausting. I don't know if there are any moderators monitoring this, or fellow posters with experience here, but I just want to make sure I have all the information before signing this thing on Monday.

EDIT: Also, for my back, it states that the injury happened from carrying 80 lbs on my back. In fact, it states in several places throughout the years (including the initial complaint from sickcall) that it occurred on a combat jump. Is this something that I should fight for now before getting out, or is this something I can take care of after I leave active duty? I am specifically concerned because I wish to apply for CRSC.

Thank you

October 28th: Assigned to the JBLM WTU
November 22th: Received P3 Profile
January 16th: Received Email from MEB welcoming me
February 26th: First QTC Appointment
March 5th: Last QTC Appointment
April 1st: Received NARSUM
April 7th: NARSUM Signed with no issues
April 15th: Packet Sent to PEB/VA
May 5th : Emailed PEBLO. She said packets are taking around 60 days to come back from PEB/VA (ugh...)
May 6th: Applied for SSDI
May 15th: Emailed PEBLO to see if I have been found unfit yet
May 19th: VA Case Closed
June 5th: Received 199 from PEBLO (80% DOD / 100% VA)

So I originally posted this on my MEB timeline thread, but I feel it would be better served in this forum.

So I just received my 199 today, and was rated temporarily on PTSD (as expected) but also on my back. I have been seen for my back consistently since 2010. Their justification for the temporary rating was that statistically, with three years of treatment, many symptoms can be relieved. With 10 years of treatment, is there anything I can do at this point to fight for permanency? I get the PTSD, but fighting for the next 3 years to keep my 40% for my back (a large contributing factor to my 100%) just seems exhausting. I don't know if there are any moderators monitoring this, or fellow posters with experience here, but I just want to make sure I have all the information before signing this thing on Monday.

EDIT: Also, for my back, it states that the injury happened from carrying 80 lbs on my back. In fact, it states in several places throughout the years (including the initial complaint from sickcall) that it occurred on a combat jump. Is this something that I should fight for now before getting out, or is this something I can take care of after I leave active duty? I am specifically concerned because I wish to apply for CRSC.

Thank you

October 28th: Assigned to the JBLM WTU
November 22th: Received P3 Profile
January 16th: Received Email from MEB welcoming me
February 26th: First QTC Appointment
March 5th: Last QTC Appointment
April 1st: Received NARSUM
April 7th: NARSUM Signed with no issues
April 15th: Packet Sent to PEB/VA
May 5th : Emailed PEBLO. She said packets are taking around 60 days to come back from PEB/VA (ugh...)
May 6th: Applied for SSDI
May 15th: Emailed PEBLO to see if I have been found unfit yet
May 19th: VA Case Closed
June 5th: Received 199 from PEBLO (80% DOD / 100% VA)
Did you request to expedite or is this just a normal timeline?

Do you have a free service provided attorney? Has he/she made a recommendation?

Did you request to expedite or is this just a normal timeline?

No, this is a normal timeline. I actually believe it would have gone faster was it not for COVID. My paperwork was also sat on during several stages. I have seen them go much faster, and I have seen them go much slower. Everywhere from ~90 days - 3 years! Every case is different

Do you have a free service provided attorney? Has he/she made a recommendation?

Yes, sorry I did not update this after talking with legal. I have decided to request a formal board and I am just awaiting a date. He corrected me and told me that I am P&T with the VA, it is just the Army that wants me to re-eval. So I am fine with that. It is not my only unfit condition so I am not worried about going under 30% after talking with him.

Regarding the way it was worded on my 199, he told me it was definitely worth changing. I am applying for CRSC and every bit will count. I have my personal statement, 2 statements from and E8 and O4, and 10 years of medical records all stating how it happened. So hopefully its a no-brainier.

Now how long it will take to get a formal board is another thing entirely.......

Glad you talked to legal. FPEB sounds like a good COA.