TERA

Warreng

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Can anyone help me understand why the Navy is stopping people from using early retirement? This is something that was inacted by congress for people over 15 years.

Can anyone help me understand why the Navy is stopping people from using early retirement? This is something that was inacted by congress for people over 15 years.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, it's definitely "uncharted territory" as viewed non-politically in my opinion albeit potentially may be due to military budgetary constraints, military manpower issues, etc, etc.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thanks for the reponse. I wish i had it in front of me but, according to a congressional budget for the military...the services have been provided money for early retirement. It's the services that are more-than-likely withholding the funds. This program was funded until 2018.

TERA is a force shaping tool. They are allowed to implement as they need to in order to get the population reduction they need. HRC retention gave a briefing I sat in and they said the last time the Army used it in a drawdown it worked almost exactly opposite the way they wanted. All the hard to train, qualify for and understrength jobs used it and non of the overstrength ones. Left the Army severely unbalanced. That is why the services are placing restrictions on it now, I know the Army is only using it for people selected for early termination. You could apply if you think you have a special case.

From my point of view, the Navy is using the "get kicked out because of PRT". Instead of letting people retire early. The focus is solely PRT at this moment. Someone is thinking they're saving money. When dealing with the PRT...the fatter your neck is the better! Not understanding this can and will contribute to sleep apnea. I see sailors all the time just working out their necks just too pass BCA (i understand i'm off topic). But on the flip side now you have a bunch of sailors needing CPAP machines...and that 50% VA rating.

TERA is a force management tool. Services are expected to use the tool to accomplish their desired end strength AND to balance their force with regard to occupational specialties, grade, and YOS....

Thanks for the reponse. I wish i had it in front of me but, according to a congressional budget for the military...the services have been provided money for early retirement. It's the services that are more-than-likely withholding the funds. This program was funded until 2018.

Indeed, you are welcome! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

From my point of view, the Navy is using the "get kicked out because of PRT". Instead of letting people retire early. The focus is solely PRT at this moment. Someone is thinking they're saving money. When dealing with the PRT...the fatter your neck is the better! Not understanding this can and will contribute to sleep apnea. I see sailors all the time just working out their necks just too pass BCA (i understand i'm off topic). But on the flip side now you have a bunch of sailors needing CPAP machines...and that 50% VA rating.

Hmm, indeed, it seems to be all about "passing the inconvenience to someone else to deal with" type scenario you mentioned above!

--> :) --> :( --> :mad: --> :rolleyes: --> :oops: --> SORRY!

Best Wishes!

The memo i found was from the Deputy SENAV. Subject...FY2014 TERA. Doesn't state "if you would like to use it", it's funded until 2018 according to this. I'm getting ready to stir the pot and call the SECNAV admin.

They are using it. They just aren't using it for everyone with 15 years time in service. That would be madness, what if every last one asked for it? They would just have to let everyone out and be left with 15 year or less experience. O7 and E9 would be looking interesting then.

If you have a unique case that you believe deserves consideration, there is nothing preventing you from sending up a request. They have just said they are only looking to approve ones selected for early termination, there are Exceptions To Policy for everything.

Prepare a personnel action form, 4187 in army, not sure Navy. Explain why this is good for you (I want to retire), why its good for the navy (I have a situation that is preventing me from performing to a high enough level so its better to open up the slot for others), how you meet quality standards, just not quite to the level the navy deserves. Then get every commander up to O6 at a minimum to write a memo in support, and send it up.

They make retention decisions based on numbers and databases for the most part. The understand that it doesn't meet every situation, so they do tend to listen to a good story.

Last edited:
Just an update...my command NC has seen the very same congressional report (and sees it's fully funded until 2018). Shes going to the leading NCCM to request further guidance. My feelings are (and i know i'm the low man on the totem pole), if people request it...let them use it!

Just an update...my command NC has seen the very same congressional report (and sees it's fully funded until 2018). Shes going to the leading NCCM to request further guidance. My feelings are (and i know i'm the low man on the totem pole), if people request it...let them use it!

Indeed, I hope there are positively favorable results as a direct result from the congressional report within your command. Take care, continue to get well and most importantly enjoy life! :cool:

Best Wishes!