Terminal Leave?

james7607

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Going through the IDES fast track at fort hood. Had all exams and about the sign my NARSUM. My question is when all said and done do I get the opportunity to take Terminal Leave? or do I have to sell back my leave days? I have 41 days now. A soldier of mine received PTDY of 20 days and had to sell back his day and didn't have the option of Terminal Leave.

Dcmd124

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
When you come out on the TRANSPROC list, you will be given a NLT of 90 days.

If you are AD, you will the have the opportunity to take 20 days PTDY if you are House hunting or looking for a Job. Commander's Discretion.

So with 41 days and 20 days PTDY pushes to 61 days plus 5 more days of Annual Leave earned.

Once you come out on the TRANSPROC list, you will the opportunity to take Terminal / Transitional Leave. Before your Retirement Orders are cut, the Retirement Services Officer will have the tally on your days and if PTDY has been approved.

So yes, you should have the opportunity to take your Leave.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

moneyblind

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
It all comes down to that NLT of 90 days; If your PTDY + your leave exceeds the NLT date, then yes, you will have to sell some leave. Otherwise you can combine the 20 days and your leave to take terminal.

This is what i did. I only sold back about 1.5 days of leave.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Going through the IDES fast track at fort hood. Had all exams and about the sign my NARSUM. My question is when all said and done do I get the opportunity to take Terminal Leave? or do I have to sell back my leave days? I have 41 days now. A soldier of mine received PTDY of 20 days and had to sell back his day and didn't have the option of Terminal Leave.

Bottom line is...

From validated experiences via the military installation's Retirement Service Officer (RSO), I do know that the maximum number of military leave that can be sold back is limited to 60 days within a military career.

Now, the USAPDA shall give you up to 90 calendar days to retire/separate from the U.S. Army (e.g., 10 days post clearance + 20 days Permissive TDY + 60 days transition leave = 90 calendar days).

Moreover, the USAPDA should issue a couple of day's buffer upon the transmitting of the TRANSPOC-III message to the military RSO or its equivalent office for generation of the DD Form 214 and military disability retirement/separation orders.

In retrospect, I took 82 calendar days of military transition leave and sold the maximum nine calendar days (in my particular situation) back to the USG for a total of 91 calendar days on the books when I had my Military Pay final out appointment. I only had three calendar days to perform installation clearance activities (which were okay by me) albeit one calendar day was loss due to post closure for inclement weather (e.g., snow).

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Last edited:

james7607

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My unit is telling me that at brigade level i can only take a total of 75 days of leave. Ill have 81 (61 days accrued + 20 ptdy) days and wanted to take all of it. What is the regulation stating this or that I can take more? Im awaitng formal board as we speak.

Hawkeye99

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Anyone know what a reservist on AD is allowed/entitled to for perm, term leave?

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
My unit is telling me that at brigade level i can only take a total of 75 days of leave. Ill have 81 (61 days accrued + 20 ptdy) days and wanted to take all of it. What is the regulation stating this or that I can take more? Im awaitng formal board as we speak.

Hmm, I am stiill trying to locate the exact verbiage albeit you can reveiw DTM 11-015 and AR 600-8-10 for any potential applicable guidance.

Moreover, I would suggest that you contact a Retirement Service Officer from the installation's Military Transition Office for specific pin-pointed reference information.

As a last resort effort, I would suggest that you contact HQ USAPDA at Toll-Free number 1-877-577-3065 for the applicable regulation in reference to military transition leave upon receipt of the TRANSPOC-III message by the military transition office.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Hawkeye99

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, my unit has approved my 15 days of PTDY, but they said they won't be able to approve the 15 days of terminal leave until I return from PTDY and send in part 3 of the PTDY leave request form. Both PTDY and Term leave are concurrent.

PTDY 29 Sep thru 13 Oct - Term Leave 14 Oct thru 28 Oct.

The bad part is that I will have to drive to base to send the PTDY part 3 (can't send encrypted from home computer) and then wait for them to approve the terminal leave. Shouldn't they be able to just approve both in advance? Seems wrong that I should have to deal with it while I am on leave.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
So, my unit has approved my 15 days of PTDY, but they said they won't be able to approve the 15 days of terminal leave until I return from PTDY and send in part 3 of the PTDY leave request form. Both PTDY and Term leave are concurrent.

PTDY 29 Sep thru 13 Oct - Term Leave 14 Oct thru 28 Oct.

The bad part is that I will have to drive to base to send the PTDY part 3 (can't send encrypted from home computer) and then wait for them to approve the terminal leave. Shouldn't they be able to just approve both in advance? Seems wrong that I should have to deal with it while I am on leave.

Hmm, it should seem so albeit maybe there exist local policy guidelines which are prompting the need to "send in part 3 of the PTDY leave request form" at this point in time; I am not sure unfortunately! Congratulations nonetheless! Take care and enjoy life! :cool:

Best Wishes!

ladyj47

Registered Member
I hope someone can help me with this question, I have been thru the IDES process, received my rating and orders. My retirement date is 5 Feb (medically retiring with over 20 years). I would like to request and extension so I can take my leave to include PTDY, my RSO told me I need to an a DA 4187 explaining why I need to do this and it has to be signed by my BDE CDR, and then go up to the PDA to be approved. Has anyone tried to do this? If so can you please give me some advice, if it was approved or not, I heard it takes about 2 weeks for the approval and I don't want to waste my anymore leave days than I have too. I'm stuck, please help. Thanks!

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I hope someone can help me with this question, I have been thru the IDES process, received my rating and orders. My retirement date is 5 Feb (medically retiring with over 20 years). I would like to request and extension so I can take my leave to include PTDY, my RSO told me I need to an a DA 4187 explaining why I need to do this and it has to be signed by my BDE CDR, and then go up to the PDA to be approved. Has anyone tried to do this? If so can you please give me some advice, if it was approved or not, I heard it takes about 2 weeks for the approval and I don't want to waste my anymore leave days than I have too. I'm stuck, please help. Thanks!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, I do not quite comprehend as to why you need to complete a DA Form 4187 in order to take military transition leave and military PTDY upon completion of the DoD IDES process? :confused:

At this point in time, the RSO should have advised you to obtain a DA Form 31 from your military organization request military retirement transition leave and military PTDY all which can't exceed 90-days in total without HQ USAPDA's approval by exception only. ;)

In retrospect, the USAPDA will assign a not later than separation date that will not exceed 90-days after the completion of processing final determination by the USAPDA. The Installation Commander, through the transition center, will establish a separation date within the 90-day window. The not to exceed 90-day window allow installations flexibility to assign a separation date within the 90-day window based on individual military service member circumstances, but should not be construed as an opportunity to delay the departure of a military service member from active duty.

Generally, the separation date should factor in the total number of days required to clear the command, authorize permissive temporary duty (PTDY) for eligible active component military service members, and allow for the use of accrued leave (e.g., transition leave).

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">