Terminal (Transitional) Leave Question

what happens now with the CLI being tossed out the door? now I wont get promoted on that last day? FML..if it wasnt for the FPEB i would have been out...

As explained to me, as an IRR soldier I am not entitled for Permissive TDY to go house hunt. Moreover the unit says I do not accrue leave while on Terminal/transition Leave. IS that correct?

AR 600-8-10

4–21. Rules used to request transition leave
a.Transition leave (formerly called terminal leave) is a chargeable leave granted together with transition from the
Service, including retirement.
b.The unit commander or designee is the approval authority for transition leave requests.
c. Leave will not be granted if it exceeds that accrued or to be accrued between the date of approval and date of transition. (See para 5–15 and para 5–33 for exceptions.)

If you look on the front page, the regulation says it is applicable to ALL Army soldiers. It does not exclude IRR. 5-15 and 5-33 do not apply to you, but 5-35 does.

5–35. Rules to notify, counsel, and request permissive temporary duty or excess leave together with
separation

a.Transition PTDY is authorized for Soldiers being released from active duty under conditions described in this
paragraph. It is an authorization, not an entitlement.
b.The purpose of transition PTDY is to facilitate transition into civilian life for house and job hunting for Soldiers being involuntarily separated, retiring from active duty, or separating under the Voluntarily Separation Incentive (VSI) or SSB program. Soldiers being reassigned due to permanent change of station (PCS) are authorized ten (10) days
PTDY and will continue to comply with guidelines contained in paragraphs 5–31 and 5–32. A normal PCS is defined
as a reassignmet between duty stations for duty (not for transition) at the gaining station. In the context of this
eligibility, PCS does not mean reassignment to a transition center/point for separation.
(1) Permissive temporary duty is a nonchargeable absence and is an option for eligible Soldiers.
(2) The approval authority for transition PTDY is in accordance with paragraph 5–31. Approval authority may be
further delegated to company commanders and other leave approval authorities. Commanders may disapprove or
restrict permissive temporary duty based on mission or operational requirements, for disciplinary reasons, or if a valid
purpose, as described in paragraph d, below, does not exist. For example: If a Soldier does not have a replacement or a unit mission dictates that the Soldier’s presence is necessary to perform critical tasks.
(3) Commanders must ensure that Soldiers have a need to either relocate or conduct job search activities during the
requested dates of transition PTDY. If neither of these activities are necessary (for example, the Soldier already has
secured a job, or the Soldier will continue to reside in the same residence with no prospect of moving), then transition
PTDY is not appropriate.
c.The following Soldiers are not eligible for any PTDY under any transition program:
(1) Soldiers voluntarily separating as a result of expiration of term of service or expiration of service agreement.
(2) Soldiers transitioning from the Army under conditions other than honorable (for example, with a dishonorable,
bad conduct, or other than honorable (OTH) discharge characterization).
(3) Officers who resign their commission, with the exception of VSI/SSB.
(4) Soldiers with approved voluntary separation under the Voluntary Early Release Program or Enlisted Voluntary
Early Transition program.
d.All eligible Soldiers are authorized ten (10) days transition PTDY, as provided in paragraph f, below. The following Soldiers are authorized additional transition PTDY in conjunction with their transition from active duty. If the Soldier is being separated for reasons not listed below, he or she is not authorized additional (that is, in excess of 10 days) transition TDY.
(1) Officers or enlisted Soldiers selected for involuntary separation by Selective Early Release or Retirement Boards.
(2) Officers and enlisted Soldiers with a Mandatory Retirement Date.
(3) Officers identified for separation as a result of Reduction in Force. This includes officers non-selected for
promotion and selected for release from active duty.
(4) Officers who are passed over for promotion and must leave active duty.
(5) Enlisted Soldiers denied further continued service as a result of Retention Control Points.
(6) Enlisted Soldiers identified for separation under the provisions of the Qualitative Management Program.
(7) Officers and enlisted Soldiers with an approved separation under the VSI or the SSB programs.
(8) Officers and enlisted Soldiers separated for reason of disability rated at less than 30 percent. Commanders must ensure that a DA Form 31 (Request and Authority for Leave) with inclusive dates of PTDY and leave accompanies the packet forwarded to the Physical Evaluation Board. If the Physical Evaluation Board finds the Soldier fit for duty, the DA Form 31 will be voided.
(9) Officers and enlisted Soldiers who have an approved voluntary retirement or disability retirement.

Were you called to active duty to go through IDES?

No - I'm that IRR guy who was on AD when he got sucked into the WTU system...
AR 600-8-10

a.Transition leave (formerly called terminal leave) is a chargeable leave granted together with transition from the
b.The unit commander or designee is the approval authority for transition leave requests.
c. Leave will not be granted if it exceeds that accrued or to be accrued between the date of approval and date of transition. (See para 5–15 and para 5–33 for exceptions.)

If you look on the front page, the regulation says it is applicable to ALL Army soldiers. It does not exclude IRR. 5-15 and 5-33 do not apply to you, but 5-35 does.

5–35. Rules to notify, counsel, and request permissive temporary duty or excess leave together with
separation

a.Transition PTDY is authorized for Soldiers being released from active duty under conditions described in this
b.The purpose of transition PTDY is to facilitate transition into civilian life for house and job hunting for Soldiers being involuntarily separated, retiring from active duty, or separating under the Voluntarily Separation Incentive (VSI) or SSB program. Soldiers being reassigned due to permanent change of station (PCS) are authorized ten (10) days
PTDY and will continue to comply with guidelines contained in paragraphs 5–31 and 5–32. A normal PCS is defined
as a reassignmet between duty stations for duty (not for transition) at the gaining station. In the context of this
eligibility, PCS does not mean reassignment to a transition center/point for separation.
(1) Permissive temporary duty is a nonchargeable absence and is an option for eligible Soldiers.
(2) The approval authority for transition PTDY is in accordance with paragraph 5–31. Approval authority may be
further delegated to company commanders and other leave approval authorities. Commanders may disapprove or
restrict permissive temporary duty based on mission or operational requirements, for disciplinary reasons, or if a valid
purpose, as described in paragraph d, below, does not exist. For example: If a Soldier does not have a replacement or a unit mission dictates that the Soldier’s presence is necessary to perform critical tasks.
(3) Commanders must ensure that Soldiers have a need to either relocate or conduct job search activities during the
requested dates of transition PTDY. If neither of these activities are necessary (for example, the Soldier already has
secured a job, or the Soldier will continue to reside in the same residence with no prospect of moving), then transition
PTDY is not appropriate.
c.The following Soldiers are not eligible for any PTDY under any transition program:
(1) Soldiers voluntarily separating as a result of expiration of term of service or expiration of service agreement.
(2) Soldiers transitioning from the Army under conditions other than honorable (for example, with a dishonorable,
(4) Soldiers with approved voluntary separation under the Voluntary Early Release Program or Enlisted Voluntary
d.All eligible Soldiers are authorized ten (10) days transition PTDY, as provided in paragraph f, below. The following Soldiers are authorized additional transition PTDY in conjunction with their transition from active duty. If the Soldier is being separated for reasons not listed below, he or she is not authorized additional (that is, in excess of 10 days) transition TDY.
(1) Officers or enlisted Soldiers selected for involuntary separation by Selective Early Release or Retirement Boards.
(3) Officers identified for separation as a result of Reduction in Force. This includes officers non-selected for
(5) Enlisted Soldiers denied further continued service as a result of Retention Control Points.
(6) Enlisted Soldiers identified for separation under the provisions of the Qualitative Management Program.
(7) Officers and enlisted Soldiers with an approved separation under the VSI or the SSB programs.
(8) Officers and enlisted Soldiers separated for reason of disability rated at less than 30 percent. Commanders must ensure that a DA Form 31 (Request and Authority for Leave) with inclusive dates of PTDY and leave accompanies the packet forwarded to the Physical Evaluation Board. If the Physical Evaluation Board finds the Soldier fit for duty, the DA Form 31 will be voided.
(9) Officers and enlisted Soldiers who have an approved voluntary retirement or disability retirement.

According to them I am not entitled to this as I am an IRR soldier who lost his case and am being retired after 30 years of service.

separation

PTDY is not appropriate.
(9) Officers and enlisted Soldiers who have an approved voluntary retirement or disability retirement.[/QUOTE]

Ranger:

Thanks Again - according to the IG I am eligible. Now whereas if he grants it....

Smitty

Ranger 2992
Guess who now is getting his 20 PTDY days...begrudingly :cool:

Ranger 2992
Guess who now is getting his 20 PTDY days...begrudingly :cool:

Ah ha! Congratulations! Forced into submission; a very good deal for sure! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

what happens now with the CLI being tossed out the door? now I wont get promoted on that last day? FML..if it wasnt for the FPEB i would have been out...[/QUO
I just went through this at Fort Drum and am on terminal leave now. As soon as the PEB adjudicates your case and you sign the 199, your stuff goes to PDA (ARMY) for orders. In my case, I was approved by PDA in 5 days and showed up in the system. At this point your S-1 has to figure out you dates. In my case I had 63.5 days of leave and was allowed the 20 days PTDY. That put me at 83.5 days. YOU DO ACCRUE LEAVE WHILE ON LEAVE. So with me taking 83.5 days, I earn an additional 7.5 days of leave. That brought my total out to 91 days from my final out date.

Here is my timeline
8 MAR PDA approves my retirement
9 MAR Meet with S-1 to do all paperwork to prepare for seperation
15 MAR picked up clearing papers
28 March Final out of Army and receive DD214
29 MAR Start PTDY (20 Days)
17 APR End PTDY
18 APR Start terminal leave
20 JUN Previously saved leave used up (63 Days)
21 June Accrued leave while on leave starts (7.5 Days)
28 JUN Last day for pay in the ARMY (DD-214 discharge date)

Because I accrued 7.5 days, I get paid for 1/2 day of leave

I hope this makes sense for you. The most important part in all of this is you stay on top of it and understand the system. If your leave form is not filled out correctly to reflect the leave you accrue while on leave, then transitions will just pay you for those accrued days.

Joe

so you had 63.5 ETS leave available or is that regular leave days????

...well in my case I have 62 days of leave saved. I'm being told by the transproc guy that I have to sell 35+ days as my ets date he gave me is Aug 27.

Has anyone here been requested to draft an MFR explaining the details as to why the 20 days PTDY is being requested when transitioning out on a medical retirement?

Has anyone here been requested to draft an MFR explaining the details as to why the 20 days PTDY is being requested when transitioning out on a medical retirement?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, that's quite strange unless the requirements has changed at this particular point in time. What's the response from your assigned PEBLO? Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

That sounds like an internal unit requirement just for you to justify the PTDY I would play the game and write down job hunting

The regulation is pretty clear on what you can and can't use permissive TDY and who's signature is required for particular number of days (normally above a total of 30 requires BN CDR). I assume you have over 10 days of leave saved and the PTDY will push you over 30. It is not unusual for some commands to want the MFR from the soldier and a counseling from their chain of command. This is more frequent when you exceed the company commanders approval authority. I wouldn't take it personal, like the previous response, just do a quick MFR that you are house hunting or doing a job search. If neither applies, technically you are not authorized PTDY.