Terminal (Transitional) Leave Question

SGT Bob

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm trying to figure out when I will be getting out of this hell hole so I have a question regarding how the terminal (transitional as some insist it's called) leave thing will work.

So...let's say that, hypothetically, my MEB gets done and all the papers are signed, etc... and they give me a date of June 29th (I wish) for an ETS date. As I understand it, I would then back off the 60 days of leave that I will have accrued by June 29th and then another 20 days for PTDY which would mean that I would be out of here on April 20th? Is that correct?

You need to sit with a calendar in your lap and count day by day , 3 or 4 times to make sure your math is correct... remember to count the start day as day one not day 0 and June 28 at 2359 you are officially out

Look at your last les and add 2.5 days to that for the months left. When you are on leave, no more leave is earned, keep in mind it is not guaranteed you will get the 20days of PTDY. Commanders do not have to give it. I have seen commanders request a reason especially if you are in the reserves or NG. For Active duty, you might have a better chance of getting it. Use this link to learn more about how PTDY is authorized by commanders.

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_8_10.pdf

When you finalize your PEB, you will be put on transpoc. Another link, not just for the reserves and guard. The Transition Point Processing System (TRANSPROC) is used by military personnel offices and military transition centers. The system produces DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release from Active Duty or Discharge). TRANSPROC is used by all Army components, to include the Army National Guard. The system also interfaces with the Defense Finance and Accounting System (DFAS) to stop active duty pay and start Reserve Component or Retiree pay.

https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/Systems/TRANSPROC/Pages/default.aspx

hope this helps.

TOP40

I just went through this at Fort Drum and am on terminal leave now. As soon as the PEB adjudicates your case and you sign the 199, your stuff goes to PDA (ARMY) for orders. In my case, I was approved by PDA in 5 days and showed up in the system. At this point your S-1 has to figure out you dates. In my case I had 63.5 days of leave and was allowed the 20 days PTDY. That put me at 83.5 days. YOU DO ACCRUE LEAVE WHILE ON LEAVE. So with me taking 83.5 days, I earn an additional 7.5 days of leave. That brought my total out to 91 days from my final out date.

Here is my timeline
8 MAR PDA approves my retirement
9 MAR Meet with S-1 to do all paperwork to prepare for seperation
15 MAR picked up clearing papers
28 March Final out of Army and receive DD214
29 MAR Start PTDY (20 Days)
17 APR End PTDY
18 APR Start terminal leave
20 JUN Previously saved leave used up (63 Days)
21 June Accrued leave while on leave starts (7.5 Days)
28 JUN Last day for pay in the ARMY (DD-214 discharge date)

Because I accrued 7.5 days, I get paid for 1/2 day of leave

I hope this makes sense for you. The most important part in all of this is you stay on top of it and understand the system. If your leave form is not filled out correctly to reflect the leave you accrue while on leave, then transitions will just pay you for those accrued days.

Joe

If you get PDRL, can you take ptdy and leave together on the same form? Or do i have to take the ptdy then come back and signout on regular leave?

Also who would be the granting authority on the ptdy, btry level or battalion level?

All mine went on the same leave form. I was assigned to a WTU and it was our Battalion S-1 that did everything.

I just went through this at Fort Drum and am on terminal leave now. As soon as the PEB adjudicates your case and you sign the 199, your stuff goes to PDA (ARMY) for orders. In my case, I was approved by PDA in 5 days and showed up in the system. At this point your S-1 has to figure out you dates. In my case I had 63.5 days of leave and was allowed the 20 days PTDY. That put me at 83.5 days. YOU DO ACCRUE LEAVE WHILE ON LEAVE. So with me taking 83.5 days, I earn an additional 7.5 days of leave. That brought my total out to 91 days from my final out date.

Here is my timeline
17 APR End PTDY

I hope this makes sense for you. The most important part in all of this is you stay on top of it and understand the system. If your leave form is not filled out correctly to reflect the leave you accrue while on leave, then transitions will just pay you for those accrued days.

Joe

Excellent information Joe. Thanks! Now...if I could just get a date...

PDTY is granted at LTC or higher level when over 10 days.

^ The above poster is correct. A combined leave form would be the best option, and while the process will probably be smoother if conducted at a WTU, get familiar with your applicable regulations and be prepared when you go in to draft your leave form if you get pushback.

From AR 600-8-10 Army Leaves and Passes

Using Transition Leave:
4–21. Rules used to request transition leave
a. Transition leave (formerly called terminal leave) is a chargeable leave granted together with transition from the Service, including retirement.
b. The unit commander or designee is the approval authority for transition leave requests.
c. Leave will not be granted if it exceeds that accrued or to be accrued between the date of approval and date of transition. (See para 5–15 and para 5–33 for exceptions.)
d. Leave granted must not interfere with operational requirements, timely processing, or transition processing.
e. Leave may be granted for Soldiers stationed overseas returning to CONUS or area of residence.
f. Soldiers stationed in CONUS (or OCONUS) will complete processing at an authorized and directed transition activity before beginning leave. As an exception, Soldiers retiring and requesting a location of personal choice transition point will complete processing at a designated U.S. Army Transition Point prior to departing on leave.
g. The established transition date may be extended only for Soldiers pending physical disability (AR 635–40). This allows them to use their accrued leave as transition leave, provided they cannot sell or cash in leave to the Government. Since 10 February 1976, Soldiers can sell or cash in no more than 60 days leave one time during a military career, except as authorized by Section 501 of Title 37 U.S.C as implemented by the DODFMR. The following are examples of a Soldier who has been identified for disability separation and has 60 days of leave. These examples show whether the Soldier must sell or cash in his or her leave, may use his or her leave as transition leave, or a combination of both.
(1) The Soldier cashed in 60 days of accrued leave on 1 May 1977. The Soldier may take 60 days of accrued leave plus any leave earned while on leave.
(2) On 1 April 1976, the Soldier cashed in 30 days of accrued leave. The Soldier can cash in 30 of his or her 60 days of accrued leave and use the remaining 30 days of leave plus any leave accrued while on leave.
(3) On 1 March 1975, the Soldier cashed in 60 days of leave. The Soldier must cash in the entire 60 days leave, the same as a Soldier who has not cashed in any leave.
h. Leave will be terminated at 2400 on day of transition (concurrent with transition). It may also end upon reportingto the designated U.S. Army Transition Point not earlier than the reporting date specified on the Soldier’s order, upon return to previous unit of assignment, upon hospitalization, or upon death.

4–22. Steps to request transition leave
The steps to request transition leave are shown in table 4–11.
Table 4?1
Requesting transition leave
Step Work center Required action
1 Soldier When requesting transition leave, complete DA Form 31, blocks 2 through 11(chap 12).
2 Soldier Check other on DA Form 31, block 7. After other, select post transition.
3 Unit See travel allowances specified in AR 635-0, paragraph 2-8, and DFAS-IN 37. (Direct travel questions to your local transportation or travel office.)
4 Unit Advise Soldier that leave settlement is made on actual transition date.
5 Soldier Notify a reliable person of your itinerary and request that person to notify transfer point should you become; for example, hospitalized, or injured, or die before leave.
6 Soldier On last day of leave, call transfer point to let them know you are alive and well.
7 Unit Losing unit advise Soldier to do step 5 and 6 above.
8 Unit Follow leave processing procedures in paragraph 12?.
9 BNS1 Receive leave request from unit and follow transition leave processing procedures

Here is my timeline
17 APR End PTDY

Joe

So you went thru PEB? They allowed you over the 90 days that i keep hearing that will come down in transpoc. I dont plan on taking any PTDY but I want to take my 75 days of leave.

thanks

Danny

My experience was that the TRANSPROC was automatically calculated for 90 days from date PEB board received back your signed 199. The assumption was that 90 days would be sufficient for accrued leave, clearing (10 days, which should NOT be done in leave status, but often is, because units will try to use you for duty tasks for as long as possible and 20 days PTDY. Please remember that PTDY is actually granted at the discretion of your unit commander (BN) or higher. In my case that was a full bird COL COS of a 1 star flag officer. The reason being that those TDY funds come from your unit's coffers. It is entirely possible, particularly if you have made any statements about remaining local after discharge, for PTDY to be either denied or curtailed from 20 to 10, 5, 3 days etc. budgets being what they are, this is one area commanders may say "no". Now, old school Army unwritten policy for years has been that retirees are given the full 20, and especially medical retirees, but, as with so many other things in the Army, you can't count on ANYONE doing the "right" thing, especially if it's going to cost the unit money.

My BN says the BC has to sign on 20 days PTDY, so as a smart-butt move I put down 19 days... No one argued! I WIN!

My BN says the BC has to sign on 20 days PTDY, so as a smart-butt move I put down 19 days... No one argued! I WIN!

That wasn't a smart-ass move, it was a wise one if you know that the BC won't sign off on 20 days.

Glad, I found this post, I just signed my DA199 and was wondering the same thing. Now, I'm just wondering if a PPM would be a smart thing to do?

on Fort Bliss.... immediately after you see the transpoc guy for your memo, go directly to retirement services (bldg 503b, 1st floor outside). The person you speek with will figure out exactly what your dates are. Use those dates to fill out your DA31. Then you can push it through COC for signatures. If you show up with a prefilled out DA 31 it will be wrong and you will have to do it again. I have heard the stories about tearing up pre approved DA31's. Make sure you take a copy of a current LES with you for accuracy.

I am in CBWTU CA, i need to know if anyone can tell me how they do this. I already submitted my checklist today. I signed my DA 199 last week. PEBLO said i should be on the transpoc list in a week or two. My question is do they send soldiers back to JBLM and for how long.

My next question is should my DA 31 for permissive TDY already be signed or do I do that when I meet with my PEBLO at JBLM. I am qualified for Medical retirement at 30% and 100% VA. I have 17 1/2 years in almost close to 18. Is this when if i choose to elect COAR sincce I am in the ARMY RESERVES. And if I do can i submit for the santuory.

Last question is if i elect VA which most likely I will when is the cutoff on seperationn date to receive the chek after retirment date.

Based off what I know, I will only have 9.5 days of leave next month. With the information I provided what could be the expected seperation date.

Thanks

sorry few more questions.
I have been applying for Federal employment but not landing on the list due to categories. I was GS-07 but had to give up my position to the fact I can no longer serve in the ARMY. I was a unit administrator. So the question i have is when can we use the 30% for employment which gives me a better chance getting a job.

And since I am struggling to find one, does anyone know the rules for filing in California and what percentage is paid. Do they use the base ppage.

sorry few more questions.
I have been applying for Federal employment but not landing on the list due to categories. I was GS-07 but had to give up my position to the fact I can no longer serve in the ARMY. I was a unit administrator. So the question i have is when can we use the 30% for employment which gives me a better chance getting a job.

And since I am struggling to find one, does anyone know the rules for filing in California and what percentage is paid. Do they use the base ppage.

I would suggest starting a new thread with your questions because you will get more responses that way. Here, they could get "lost in the shuffle."