Thank you for starting this new spot for AGR.

brianmatt31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Shanecameback,
I am not at the point you are in the MEB process. I would think that the AGR Office would be tracking you, And they would be the ones to say when you are cleared.
As far as your supply room goes you should request a Change of Custodial thru you PBO and your S-4. I would also do a Memorandum for Record and state when you are due to Medical Reiter. Sign it and send it to everyone in you change. Your commander should be a little worried about his equipment if his Supply Sergeant is being medically Retired.
Like always they will wait till the last minuet when the sh%$ hits the fan and you will get the blame. When you informed them that this was going to happen.
I really like this statement,
Ship comes in, I'll be getting on it. If they try to call me back, it won't be good.:eek:
I agree. Contact your PBO and let him/her know that your in the IDES and that when in the IDES the likelihood of you returning to duty is slim as even found unfit and you want to stay with a COAD packet your Chain of Command has to approve it. So being in the IDES you could be fully retired or separated with severance pay.
so for your duties, contact the PBO/BN S4 like ebateman mentioned. The Commander should be very worried because with this IDES if you are found unfit and you receive orders to retire/discharged it's not a good thing as a Commander knowing you are gone and they'll have to figure out where all their shit is located and not know if things are missing or just hidden. :) There is no requirement for you to push off the Soldier for Life requirement and any medical appointments just to do an change of supply inventory because they waited til the last minute. if you have a good relationship with your Readiness NCO or Training NCO you could see if they would do a change of supply inventory with you then you show them how to sub hand receipt everything out. This would put the responsibility on the Officers/NCO's that are signed for the Commanders equipment. From what my past IDES Officers/NCO's have told me this is now MY time to ensure that everything is in place for me to retire out. The Army will be here for life and people come and go. We cannot afford to miss something in this process (medical) just because we are attending a Warfighter, going to AT or other type of FTX. Everyone's PEBLO's should have told you that while in the IDES process you are to do no FTX's or other training events in the event you get hurt you will not get to add that to the current IDES process unless you are lucky. This is what I was told and not sure if it is correct but it makes since.

mrando69

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I agree. Contact your PBO and let him/her know that your in the IDES and that when in the IDES the likelihood of you returning to duty is slim as even found unfit and you want to stay with a COAD packet your Chain of Command has to approve it. So being in the IDES you could be fully retired or separated with severance pay.
so for your duties, contact the PBO/BN S4 like ebateman mentioned. The Commander should be very worried because with this IDES if you are found unfit and you receive orders to retire/discharged it's not a good thing as a Commander knowing you are gone and they'll have to figure out where all their shit is located and not know if things are missing or just hidden. :) There is no requirement for you to push off the Soldier for Life requirement and any medical appointments just to do an change of supply inventory because they waited til the last minute. if you have a good relationship with your Readiness NCO or Training NCO you could see if they would do a change of supply inventory with you then you show them how to sub hand receipt everything out. This would put the responsibility on the Officers/NCO's that are signed for the Commanders equipment. From what my past IDES Officers/NCO's have told me this is now MY time to ensure that everything is in place for me to retire out. The Army will be here for life and people come and go. We cannot afford to miss something in this process (medical) just because we are attending a Warfighter, going to AT or other type of FTX. Everyone's PEBLO's should have told you that while in the IDES process you are to do no FTX's or other training events in the event you get hurt you will not get to add that to the current IDES process unless you are lucky. This is what I was told and not sure if it is correct but it makes since.
I'm AGR and I've been in this process for over a year. I'm going through Camp Atterbury as well. There was nothing said about not going to AT or an FTX. I asked these questions specifically and was told by my PEBLO that as long as you are working within the limits of your profile, you should still be doing your job the best of your ability since we are not in a WTU and are still in our units. The new profiling system that rolled out last June makes it a lot easier than it used to be since they are so much more detailed.

brianmatt31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm AGR and I've been in this process for over a year. I'm going through Camp Atterbury as well. There was nothing said about not going to AT or an FTX. I asked these questions specifically and was told by my PEBLO that as long as you are working within the limits of your profile, you should still be doing your job the best of your ability since we are not in a WTU and are still in our units. The new profiling system that rolled out last June makes it a lot easier than it used to be since they are so much more detailed.
I had Miss Randy Jackson when I started in Sep 2016. She was spot on and dedicated to service members. With my new PEBLO not so much. It's so hard to get him to respond back to questions even though I know and realize he has around 23 others but I would think anyone getting close to a year or almost done in this process they'd give a little more priority to those. Not sure but I stay on top of it. Save all emails and correspondence with him as he is a new hire and I've heard some of the JAG counsel tell me that when I feel he isn't helping to call his supervisor so that things aren't done incorrectly on my case.
For the training piece that is what I got from my first PEBLO. She stated along with my VA MSC there at CAIN that I should avoid and not be doing anything that would be close to me getting hurt or aggravating my current issues. When I asked if they had specific AR, DA PAM's, DoDi's or other regs that state not doing any FTX's or AT's, etc, they didn't give me anything other than the verbal "well in the past cases I've worked this has happened" type of thing. My BDE C2 is real good about not putting our IDES folks into the field while in this process. I'm also an example. Two months ago I had an issue going on with my heart. This wasn't input into my claim last year and turns out I have Neurocardiogenic Syncope and Ischemia. When I contacted my VA MSC about adding this to my current claim he didn't want anything to do with it. He told me I'd have to wait until after I'm retired in order to submit it. But what I couldn't get him to understand is it needed to be looked at now and not later in order for this condition to be added to the "unfit" DoD side to help my %'s.
This forum/website has truly been my saving grace on Q&A and just learning who others are rated/affected with the VA system. I've used this with all my Soldiers that are in this process as we all have different bases our cases are at and each base is so different on what information they share with the Soldiers in this process.

brianmatt31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I wouldn't expect or want my doc to write one. Since I'm an AGR in KY Camp Atterbury's DoD doctor that I've never met was the one that wrote my NARSUM based on my C&P exams.
The memo I wrote didn't have any memo's so what I did was typed out one myself. So for my COAD packet I did this.

So do this. Look up a example online for a military memo or look in the AR 25-50. Then put a SUBJECT line that states your subject. Being SUBJECT: Request an Continuation of Active Duty for your name here

1. This paragraph is where you give the BLUF. Meanin the bottom line up front. Tell the board your situation and why you love the military. Why you joined and what you wanted to get to when you joined.

2. This is where you give straight up factual info on your medical conditons that you say doesn't impend your military MOS duties and if they do your choose to be reclassed into an other MOS. But say what that MOS is and make it a critical MOS that the Army needs.

3. Make this paragraph the one that you state future decisions. My paragraph stated that I needed three years to reach 20 active federal service years and my knowledge and tactical/technical experience was worth more to the Army so I could pass this on to the younger NCO's and Officers.

Hope this helped. God speed and thank you for your service.

brianmatt31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I need a COAD memo sample? My doctor says she has not time to write one. [email protected]
Here are the examples that I typed up for mine. I'm in the process currently. Also you need to read chapter 6 of AR 635-40, the latest dated copy. That chapter tells you how the COAD is worked, if your eligible and who the authority to approve is. I'm not sure if you are Army or other but this is for Army to include National Guard and Army Reserve.

For the 4187, if this doesn't let you fill in, go to the Army pubs to pull a new one to download from ADP. Also if this word memo doesn't work just let me know and I'll email you it so you can use the formatted one.

Attachments

brianmatt31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm in the Kentucky National Guard and I can tell you that we have no one that really understands the IDES process. Not that my State is at fault but when our Medical Services reviews the medical case and it is determined by the State surgeon that a Guardsman meets criteria per AR 40-501chp 3 for a medical board due to their injuries they initiate that. After the packet is sent to the IDES my State has no influence or knowledge of the packet to stop or add or do anything to it as it is on Big Army at this point to begin the full IDES process.

Hinse this is why I'm typing up a White Paper on this whole process to pass on to my State MS office so that any Soldier going through this process has the information up front that they should have. Even the checklist I recently seen from my PEBLO that was included in the PEB packet. I was shocked that he didn't send that prior to.

So now that I am just past the PEB stage doing a VARR and a PEB Appeal, the road blocks and hurdles that I have experienced have all came from Camp Atterbury's PEBLO, MSC Coordinator and legal office. Every one of them have continued to use verbiage every time I speak to them that my packet is done and I'm need to start transitioning out. I can fix my case after discharge and so on. They all know the process and the IDES steps as I continue to fight them and tell them I know my rights, the steps and the regulations. I even had James, legal counsel, tell me in my meeting with him that I don't need to be reading into the regs as they don't matter. lol. ugh! An actual attorney said that.

I've been looking at ways to either change Camp Atterbury's process or shout them down. I've spoken to a Fort Knox Supervising PEBLO this week and she was completely horrified that they are like that and she said that if I wanted a new PEBLO this can be done easily. I have another appointment with her next week as I'm trying to get my packet pulled from Camp Atterbury and given to Fort Knox.

I'll let you all know the progress. God Speed.

Last edited:
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">