Thank you for starting this new spot for AGR.

ebateman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have been an AGR for 12 years and like most AGR been on several deployments. I have been a Training NCO for the last 4 years. I have sent several Soldiers thru the IDES system and don’t have a clue how it works. I have been on this site for a couple months and it has really good information. But you got to remember that we are Active Title 32. With that sad, some of the processes are a little different. The end result is all the same. I am on this site every day and if you need something PM me and I will respond. ( a little AGR paranoia)

Your insight will greatly be appreciated by the Reservists who can't get all of the answers! Thank you!

I need to clarify something I sad in the earlier post. The process to get into the IDES system is the Big different. It all depends on you state. Some states are really good and know what they’re doing and some are really BAD. You just have to get educate and keep up with your rights and your benefits that you have earned. Don’t let you Brigade, and state push you around, get educate and ask questions.

In Tennessee, M-Days Soldiers have the toughest time because so much has to go through state (State Medical Review Board) before it goes to MEB. Here, MEB's go through FT Campbell and, for some, it is a seriously long drive, a painful process. Wherever they are, they really need to be agressive; make every appointment and dig for more appointments. Ask lots of questions, write everythng down. MEB and ACAP at the same time. Retirement may play a part, so footdragging may become a part of it if necessary. No shame there, for sure.
For AGR's, #1 - NOBODY in the state can keep you from making your appointments, don't accept bullying.
I'm AGR and didn't know what to do, where to start. I received an email telling me to make an appointment at Campbell. I did and hit the ground running. MEB and ACAP in May, claim sent to VA June 5th, unfit memo 9 July. I'm expecting ratings and 199 between 14 Oct and 14 Nov, depending on when my day 1 is (claim or unfit memo?) We can't go to a WTU and we can't be relieved of duty and replaced without a definite out date. I was told that the unfit memo was all we needed to provide our AO with to get the position hired out to right seat ride until we leave. Not so. Unfit to continue military service or not, we have to do the job until we leave. Somebody please correct me on that! I am a Supply NCO - How am I supposed to be properly relieved? A phone call and I'm gone. My Chain of Command and NCO Support Chain has been notified. I apologize for ranting.
Nevertheless, ALL MEBer's and PEBer's absolutely need to get educated on these processes so they can make educated decisions. This website has been one of my best friends for some months now. Lead folks here and tell them to read every page of every booklet, pamphlet or whatever else they are given. Don't let a state's unknowing become a soldier's undoing.

- p -

Great point, I am also AGR with 12 years of Active service and 17 total service. This system has me completely confused and rattled. This is a direct reflection on the total lack of soldier care again by senior leaders.
I am in the MEB process and am attending my apt. I get the impression I am being put out even with CDR recommendations to retain.
Please send me a PM regarding the pitfalls and what to look out for.

I have been an AGR for 12 years and like most AGR been on several deployments. I have been a Training NCO for the last 4 years. I have sent several Soldiers thru the IDES system and don’t have a clue how it works. I have been on this site for a couple months and it has really good information. But you got to remember that we are Active Title 32. With that sad, some of the processes are a little different. The end result is all the same. I am on this site every day and if you need something PM me and I will respond. ( a little AGR paranoia)
Thank you for your service with this issue as reservist are often looked upon differently though we fought the war to,
I will be contacting you later on my issue and maybe you can give me some guidance, Thank you so much,
Be Blessed, Ret. SSG Lawrence

Well here is my situation. I have a total of 26 years. 13 is Guard time and 13 is AGR title 32 time. I've just completed my VA appointments through QTC and then my records will be sent to Texas for 120 days for IPEB and then they and VA can agree what they will give me on ratings. I am being medical seperated for Coronary Artery Disease (Heart Disease) and 3 stents in my LAD (Widow Maker). I have 9 other claims for the VA. Dont know which way this will go. I hope good! Maybe a severance package plus VA compensation or the whole package. I dont think as a AGR title 32 that I willl get my retirement part until I hit 60 since I don't have the full 20 years active service time. It would be nice if they would put us in the same category as title 10.

Last edited:
Jerry,
Don’t rely know where to start. One of the keys to going thru this is to know the possess on how it works. The big difference for AGR and M-Day is we are kind of in the middle. I don’t know where you are at in the possess.
Tip’s
Once you get your Permanent Profile don’t break it. No matter what follow it to the letter. (you know how people are )
Try to stay in good with your AO. Keep them informed. This will make thing easer for you.
If you are in a hostile work environment then you have to play the game. Look up the Regs and let them know what they can and can’t do. You are going to get a Medical Retirement. You have nothing to lose you are the one in charge. Don’t let them push around.
Hopefully this will help. I would like to keep this thred updated. I started the process and did know a thing. so please keep posting.

This system is crazy, I am in a very supportive command locally however, state HQ IS SO OUT OF TOUCH with the Soldiers needs that since my return from my initial meeting a week ago no one has called or checked on me at all. I have degenerative disk decease in my lower Bach, I deal with and do my job. I've been on the portable list every year and have completed all my NCOES and civilian advanced degree. I pass all my Pt test and fire marksman every year. I'm not ready to take this type of pay cut and I'm worried I won't make enough %on disability rating and they will simply give me a severance check. 13yrs AGR 17yrs total. Anything under 30% is severance anything over that is medical retirement at what rate and how much money are we talking about. 30% isn't allot of money to get.
Please advise if I'm wrong.

Jerry,
Have you gone to your Fit for Duty Board yet? That is where you will get your Permanent Profile and you can plead your cases to have 2’s put into you Profile. Then you would not have to go thru the MEB.
You won’t be officially in the MEB System till you get your Permanent Profile and have at least one 3 in you’re your PULLES (Permanent Profile has to have two Doctor signature).
Have you been to your VA C&P yet? Have your got a PEBLO or VA rep?

Yes I've been assigned a PEBLO and a VA rep. The doc said he couldn't change my P3 to a P2 because they would simply change it back. The only way I could get a profile was to go through the formal MEB. Now I'm being hurded through the VA apt.

Day 128 VA Days/96 Unfit Memo Days...
Question for the masses: AGR's- do we clear anything besides Finance?
I think I have everything before clearing down pat. I have cleared State CIF. From what I can tell, the PEB pretty much owns my career. When they (finally) say I'm done, I'm done entirely- AGR program or not. Finance settles all acounts and arranges an out date. I figure the most I will have to do is stop by the AGR Office at State HQ and let them make copies for their records, or scan and email them.

Also, I'd like any input that anyone might be able to give about the following concern:
I told my whole chain of command that when my PEBLO calls me to review and sign, I'm gone. Nothing to clear. Now, I am a supply sergeant and in my military mind, our First General Order comes to mind. I have told my AO that the Unfit Memo is all he needs to right seat ride a replacement new-hire, that my career is over. Not good enough. He wants definite dates that I will start my PTDY/TL/RetDate. That ain't gonna happen. Ratings to PEB, ratings and 199 to PEBLO, PEBLO calls me. I go to Campbell, review and sign, go to Finance to arrange and handle all that stuff, Use the latrine to change into civvies for forever and go home a free man for the first time in 27 years. When the PEB Ship comes in, I'll be getting on it. If they try to call me back, it won't be good; opportunity was given 9 July when I spread copies of my Unfit memo around. I actually got shut down from trying get him to hire a replacement. Palms up, hands clean. So much needs to be fixed with our system.

Onward, Upward

- p -

Jerry,
Have you gone to your Fit for Duty Board yet? That is where you will get your Permanent Profile and you can plead your cases to have 2’s put into you Profile. Then you would not have to go thru the MEB.
You won’t be officially in the MEB System till you get your Permanent Profile and have at least one 3 in you’re your PULLES (Permanent Profile has to have two Doctor signature).
Have you been to your VA C&P yet? Have your got a PEBLO or VA rep?

To answer the above question, I was given a P3 in the l by state surgeon and scheduled for the MEB, I went to Ft Stewart and was informed that they could change it to a P2 however the State surgeon would simply override the 2 and make it a 3 again. The medical doct explained that I would simply be sent back to him for evaluation and that the only way I would get a pass was to let the MEB make the determination. I thought I was going to a FFFD Board but I was really going to the MEB and evaluation process for the PEB. The state misleads the AGR (any soldier) and it is due to a lack of understanding of the process or it may be deliberate "the good old boy system as usual". We as AGR know it's alive and kicking. If your related your ailments are covered up. If you are not it's different.
I used to thank my blessings for being in the AGR program now I am sorry I ever joined this program. It's a shell game and soldiers are the empty.
Every State should be investigated for nepotism and cronyism, what a sham when the top officers and NCO's simply pass the mantel (crown) of power to a preselected fiew who have been groomed to maintain the same system.

Shanecameback,
I am not at the point you are in the MEB process. I would think that the AGR Office would be tracking you, And they would be the ones to say when you are cleared.
As far as your supply room goes you should request a Change of Custodial thru you PBO and your S-4. I would also do a Memorandum for Record and state when you are due to Medical Reiter. Sign it and send it to everyone in you change. Your commander should be a little worried about his equipment if his Supply Sergeant is being medically Retired.
Like always they will wait till the last minuet when the sh%$ hits the fan and you will get the blame. When you informed them that this was going to happen.
I really like this statement,
Ship comes in, I'll be getting on it. If they try to call me back, it won't be good.:eek:

ebateman,
You and several others so far are the aggregate reason I have learned so much from this forum and I am absolutely thankful.

The Memo for Record is an outstanding idea; it would solidify my standing and protect/cushion me from blame.

I think, though, that instead of shotgunning the memo, I might be better off sending it to a selection of three that can do the distribution as needed: My Readiness NCO for my chain of Command, my PBO, and one of my best friends- our training NCO who will whip it out in a heartbeat if he thinks I might be getting treated unfairly in my absence. Off duty on Monday would be a good day to get it done.

- p -

My husband is also in the AGR Program and has been for 17 years now. One year until "sanctuary" and MedComm is pushing to oust him come December 31, 2013 (this will ensure he will not hit the "sanctuary" mark to reach 20 years and for full retirement ). He has done everything possible to retain even though he was combat injured. He requested COAD which he qualifies for 2 of the 3 but was denied by his command and the TAG. He has no support from his chain at all and all info he has received regarding his medical was done on his own. No one in his chain, Medcomm, or HRO even knows what the process is for MEB or PEB. PEBLO is great and has been trying to do everything possible for my husband to get the retirement benefits due him. With this brief history, the latest is MedComm has told my husband to start transitioning for retirement, the very next week my husband's PEBLO gets an email from NGB that states to start transition within 3 days. We are just stunned at this as my husband's MEB has not been completed. If anyone can answer to what needs to be done next and if the transition can be stopped, I would appreciate your help.

Ku'uipolani

ebateman I am so glad I'm not the only paranoid AGR. We tend to get screwed when we need information and need to care for ourselves.

Great point, I am also AGR with 12 years of Active service and 17 total service. This system has me completely confused and rattled. This is a direct reflection on the total lack of soldier care again by senior leaders.
I am in the MEB process and am attending my apt. I get the impression I am being put out even with CDR recommendations to retain.
Please send me a PM regarding the pitfalls and what to look out for.
ebatnab abd Jerry9659 can I get a copy of the PM as well?

Wow. yes there is a LOT of questions and concerns for AGRs here. I too am AGR. 8 enlisted years then the rest is as a Officer AGR T-32 in Kentucky. The States are really different and I've been reading on weekends, nights and sometimes at work when I get the chance. Like others have said on here it's great to see an AGR site as we are somewhat different but keep in mind there are some benefits to this and one of those is certainly not having a C2 that is being hostile toward any AGR in the IDES. For one we didn't ask as being put into the IDES/Medical board is NOT voluntary. Here are some thoughts from all the reading that I have done with understanding from a lot of questions I gave to the VA MSC, PEBLO, BDE Surgeon and legal. Most importantly: BLUF: READ!!! Read through and search this website for all conditions you have, ask questions to those if you need more info or don't know. Read through the disabilitymadeeasy website, it's amazing and read it all. Just do not go find my condition. Read how the boards work as they are all different and read through each of the drop down tabs. Start yourself a Question binder so that you can write down your questions and answers. Trust me I forget things and that checklist has made the difference with my conditions. Also read up on the Federal Register, the Merck Manual 18th Ed (this was a reference the VA used to assist the VASRD when they rated my Diabetes), read through and be familiar with the 38 CFR, information collection. Go get all of your civilian and military doctor notes that include any prognosis/diagnosis. Learn through the information management piece of how the VA will rate your conditions and when you get the ratings back ensure to read through to make sure they did rate you as the books/doctrine says they rate.

For HRO as the AGR Force Management: For Kentucky, the backfill process begins when they see the Soldier on the PDIR. This document gives them the guarantee of a loss to the AGR program. We are taking another 20 AGR loss in 2018. So they are trying to manage the force and they will B9 code an AGR for medical retirement upon the PDIR document they get from the PDA. I agree with the above, a supply sergeant is a very important position. I have one right now that has just completed the IDES and found unfit. Soon as his MEB came back and I seen the two DoD unfit conditions I was able to replace him so that he could focus on his IDES and work on a lessor job duty position and back fill him with someone who could focus on supply duties. After all the supply position is the only position that you can take money straight out of the Commander's pocket. Equipment accountability!

So for me here is where I am in this process:
Sep 29 2016 BDE Surgeon notified me that with my Diabetes T2 he has to P3 me and put me into the IDES (IDES as I'm NG) per J1 Health Service policy under the new MRRT dates 2016. At this point it was the "oh shit" factor as being Enlisted Infantry 1995-2003 then Intel & Log Officer 2003-present that my career was coming to an end. I have 22 years total service but I'm sitting at 16 years Active Federal Service.
Oct 2016: Contacted by PEBLO and then VA MSC. I was assigned Camp Atterbury IN (CAIN) as my go to folks for IDES process. They sent me reading material but the VA MSC was the go to guy for turning in my VA Claim. At this point it was the turn in everything that is wrong so I don't screw myself out of my military retirement if my case comes back "unfit" and my COAD (continuation on active duty) gets denied.

Oct/Nov 2016 C&P Exams (Mental Health/Hearing/Eyes/Asthma/Neuropathy and NP for Physical Exam)

Nov 2016 I had my civilian Dr. do a sleep apnea home study that I did over a three day period. I turned in those results in a second VA Claim to the VA MSC who had that added to my case. This is prior to getting any MEB results.

Dec 2016. Waiting. So continued working full time and reading everything I could and taking notes.

Jan 2017. Did a follow up Asthma test with my civilian Asthma doc since the VA Asthma test was horrible. I did a Asthma test in May 2016 and that is when I found out I had new early onset Asthma. Then to show how 8UP the VA here was I did a follow up Asthma test with my civilian doctor to show that I wasn't normal. I indeed have Asthma.

Feb 02 2017. Received my MEB/DA 3947 results and requested from my PEBLO a copy of my C&P Exams (your PEBLO has a copy of those and I suggest you get a copy to read through and highlight anything that is wrong that you either gave a copy of a civilian Dr notes about a medical condition and/or the VA Dr/Nurse did not accurately include on the C&P Exam from your exams). I agreed with some of the results but not all. I was ready to appeal them but when I spoke to the Legal Counsel at CAIN they told me that there isn't an appeal present that I should wait until I get the PEB DA 199 back on the unfitting conditions to do an appeal to the PEB.
Thinking back on what I know now I should have done an appeal to ensure that my Right Shoulder, Skin Condition and Asthma was indicated as caused by service and aggravated by service as I've been in 22 years, no break in service and was deployed to the Middle East. So on the DA 3947 I didn't know that the conditions that have an "x" marked on them at the top of all the other conditions is their way of saying those will be the issues that are unfit for service per Ch 3 AR 40-501. BUT the fight isn't over and I'm seeking to get those added due to needing those to help show on the DoD side for pay. I will not get to 20 years AFS so I have to ensure that I get my % on DoD to the highest based on my unfit conditions as that will be my monthly retirement pay. Max for us is 75% even if DoD is 100%.

Mar-May 2017. I don't hear anything and I've called and emailed my VA MSC and PEBLO. My VA MSC was kind to tell me that my proposed ratings was in and he emailed me a copy. I'm not surprised that they messed up and didn't include things from my C&P Exams and it shown that the VA Dr didn't include things from my civilian Dr. As an AGR we don't have a TMC and I chose to not use Fort Knox Dr's as that is a two trip when I can drive 25 min to a civilian Dr. I trust. With that being said the only way I was told by my VA MSC to get my civilian documents to the VA is to upload them online through the ebenefits website. This was very easy to do. We can use this as a way to do future claims but my advice is to use a local VA representative in your local area or use the American Legion as they have Legal Counsel on Staff to assist you.
Also for May 2017 I found out that I have some heart issues. I called my VA MSC needing to get these items added to my IDES and he said its best to wait until after I'm medically retired out. lol. Yea NO! This is wrong and not the way to go. I read that if a new claim is submitted it would hold up the current process and in some cases with a new profile it would start the IDES all over but I'm not sure? Maybe someone else can answer this for me.

Jun 2017. So I have since filed in ebenefits a new claim on my Heart. I have Neurocardiogenic Syncope, with Ischemia. I plan to immediately do an appeal when my DA 199 comes in and looking through my proposed VA Ratings they have it all incorrect. There are a few things I agree with but for the most part I do not. They took my Sleep Apnea and Asthma and combined them. In my case these do not have the same symptoms. Luckily I read on this site some of Chaplaincharlies comments on the 38 CFR that states there is a difference to those conditions when the symptoms are different. I'll be able to use that in my appeal.

Sorry to rant on and be all over the place in this posting. Remember to read, read and do some more reading and post and answer questions on here and help your fellow Soldiers out. I am writing a white paper for a lot of my Soldiers that will include this site so they have a fighting chance to ensure the VA and DoD is accurately accounting for all their conditions.

Lastly, as an AGR in the IDES, your State has no say in anything that is going on while your in the IDES. Meaning that your C2 or J1 Health Services doesn't control or limit anything that is done or being done for the IDES. The IDES is Big Army and Us, not National Guard or Army Reserves. Now, you definitely need to keep your C2 (AO) in the loop. Have a good relationship with him/her. Use the NCO Corps. I have complete respect and admiration for my NCO's and they help. One thing that is different in my BDE is I have taken over all my AGRs in the IDES. I ensure that they aren't being abused and they are getting all the information. I have one NCO that has a VA MSC and PEBLO out of Fort Gordon while a few others have a closer one out of CAIN.

Oh, also the AKO My MEB/PEB website timeline is all jacked. It still has me sitting at VA Ratings but next step is Transition/Leave. lol So wrong.