The ABCMR ordered a PEB...What to expect?

Greetings!

The information on this site is invaluable. I have fairly unique circumstances, and I am looking for any insight into the process I am currently undergoing.

Long story short;

I was discharged for PTSD in 2012. I was VA Service connected for PTSD at the time of my discharge, but I was not given a severance or a medical retirement, or processing through IDES when I separated.

After 3 years awaiting a decision, the ABCMR has granted relief on my behalf, and as such, I am currently undergoing a MEB/PEB at the boards direction.

My PEBLO first made contact 1 week ago, to introduce herself, and to explain the disposition of my case. She informed me that the board had granted relief, and that I would being going through the LDES process for disqualifying condition PTSD.
She stated that the board ordered that the process be completed within 14 days.
I was told that I was entitled to medical retirement, as well as being eligible for CRSC. I was informed that CRSC pay is not retroactive. I was further advised of a telephonic visit with the MEB physician.

The MEB physician asked me to provide all pertinent records related to PTSD by email, which I did. She told me she would write a NARSUM, and send it to the PEB physician for concurrence/approval.

I have a few questions...

1.) I was told that the DoD abides by the VASRD rating schedule. If I was 60% disabled due to PTSD before my separation, and 100% disabled within 6 months due to the same condition, will my DoD disability rating match my VA rating of 100%? My rating was upgraded to 100% P&T in 2019.

2.) How soon can I fill out the CRSC application? The HRC website says you can submit for CRSC within 90 days of your separation in some cases.

3.)Can I expect any retroactive pay?
The PEBLO stated that CRSC is not retroactive. I have heard from other reputable sources that it can be retroactive 6 years from the diagnosis, or 6 years from any upgrade in the diagnosis, counting backwards? I am confused as to how this pertains to my case. The board states that if I am found eligible for medical retirement through the LDES process, I am entitled to retroactive retirement benefits and pay back to the date of the original separation, which was in 2012. Will they go back 10 years,or is CRSC limited to 6 years regardless of what the ABCMR has adjudicated?

Thank you in advance for any insights or advice.

Hello @Rhian101

Comments on a couple of your questions.

2.) How soon can I fill out the CRSC application? The HRC website says you can submit for CRSC within 90 days of your separation in some cases.
Comment: Eligibility for CRSC includes being in a retired status. The HRC offers "Make sure you have a retired pay account [with DFAS], and a VA waiver in place on your retired pay account from DFAS. Go to 'My Pay" pull up your electronic retired pay account, look near the bottom and you will see the word "Waiver" and a dollar amount next to it. The two must common reasons for an ineligible letter to be mailed out is No retired pay account and/or VA waiver not in place on account.
I did not notice a 90 day provision, but that seems unlikely because of the requirements in the sentences preceding this one.

The PEBLO stated that CRSC is not retroactive. I have heard from other reputable sources that it can be retroactive 6 years from the diagnosis, or 6 years from any upgrade in the diagnosis, counting backwards? I am confused as to how this pertains to my case. The board states that if I am found eligible for medical retirement through the LDES process, I am entitled to retroactive retirement benefits and pay back to the date of the original separation, which was in 2012. Will they go back 10 years,or is CRSC limited to 6 years regardless of what the ABCMR has adjudicated?
Comment. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Many retirees receive zero "pay" due to that provision of law.
CRSC is a special compensation, not "pay." That is one of the reasons it is not taxable. CRSC is often paid for a retroactive period. There is a six-year barring law (for retro payments) but a court decision modified that for certain retirees. I have not seen any results since that ruling. You can read about it at ---->LINK

Your other question. Dod ratings pertain only to those disabilities that make an individual unfit for continued service. VA ratings pertain to ALL service-connected approved disabilities.

Ron

cc: @RetiredColonel-MikeT @Provis Comments invited. RG

Last edited:
Greetings!

The information on this site is invaluable. I have fairly unique circumstances, and I am looking for any insight into the process I am currently undergoing.

Long story short;

I was discharged for PTSD in 2012. I was VA Service connected for PTSD at the time of my discharge, but I was not given a severance or a medical retirement, or processing through IDES when I separated.

After 3 years awaiting a decision, the ABCMR has granted relief on my behalf, and as such, I am currently undergoing a MEB/PEB at the boards direction.

My PEBLO first made contact 1 week ago, to introduce herself, and to explain the disposition of my case. She informed me that the board had granted relief, and that I would being going through the LDES process for disqualifying condition PTSD.
I was told that I was entitled to medical retirement, as well as being eligible for CRSC. I was informed that CRSC pay is not retroactive. I was further advised of a telephonic visit with the MEB physician.

The MEB physician asked me to provide all pertinent records related to PTSD by email, which I did. She told me she would write a NARSUM, and send it to the PEB physician for concurrence/approval.

1.) I was told that the DoD abides by the VASRD rating schedule. If I was 60% disabled due to PTSD before my separation, and 100% disabled within 6 months due to the same condition, will my DoD disability rating match my VA rating of 100%? My rating was upgraded to 100% P&T in 2019.

Answer to question #1. It may or may not. The have to determine your rating the day before you get out. My guess would be more towards your the 60% but remember 75% is max regardless of higher rate for DOD%. Also, the main thing you get is Tricare & the ability to get CRSC. Unless you were in a very long time the pension you would have gotten would be offset by VA% so probably no net retro compensation from medically retirement at least from the pension point of view. Now CRSC restores some of that offset that you have to lose when accepting VA compensation. You should get that retro to 2016 for CRSC. Those calculations have plenty of ceilings that will stop you from recouping more of the VA offset to your pension and @RonG is the best resource for CRSC.

Greetings!

Long story short;

The PEBLO stated that CRSC is not retroactive. I have heard from other reputable sources that it can be retroactive 6 years from the diagnosis, or 6 years from any upgrade in the diagnosis, counting backwards? I am confused as to how this pertains to my case. The board states that if I am found eligible for medical retirement through the LDES process, I am entitled to retroactive retirement benefits and pay back to the date of the original separation, which was in 2012. Will they go back 10 years,or is CRSC limited to 6 years rerdless of what the ABCMR has adjudicated?
Ho
How did your case end up? I am in a BCNR which has been denied multiple times to be put through the DES. I was discharged without a discharge physical. I am 100% va but literally 10 plus years late.
Thanks
Aaron