The Wait Is Over

josephk

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
For better or worse, I no longer have to wonder what the outcome will be.

Here is my first post here (brief synopsis of my issues)

"Hi everyone,

New here. Medically discharged in 2007 from the Army after 5 years service with issues from back, hearing loss, mental health, etc. Returned from Korea to Ft Gordon Med Hold where I stayed for 8-9 months and received a 0% rating twice despite being prescribed 210 lortab, 90 flexiril, zoloft, ambien, and valium (only for panic attacks) and having to use a cane from time to time. Medical hold at that time was a f*ckin nightmare. Cadre treated everyone like children and the medical staff made you feel worthless (which didn't take much given the situation), so I took the second 0% rating and ran with hopes of the VA giving me a better shake.

At the end of the day I was medically discharged with 0% for.....wait for it........wait for it..........shin splints. No BS

Check into the VA a short time after being discharged and they perform a thorough examination over the course of a week or so, and they come back with very different results. Mental health stuff was similar to what the Army had already found, Anxiety disorder, Severe clinical depression, manic, etc. But the physical was very different. Sure, I had shin splints and my legs and toes would go numb, but the VA found that I had/have PARS syndrome (spondylolisthesis & spondylosis) [as well as about 10 other things found to be service connected]. So they awarded 60%, which is currently being reevaluated for increase."

NOW - That increase was completed last year by the VA and moved from 60 to 90. Having said that, the PDBR did what I expected them to do. I received a recommendation of "no change". So, my rating will remain at 0%. I am not shocked by this. The only thing I would like to know is how they justify the prescriptions coupled with the rating. Ultimately, it does me more good than harm by not changing my rating. My wife is AD, and I don't have to pay back my severance. Also, the VA has never done me wrong (quite the opposite actually).

So, at the end of the day, I waited a couple of years for the Army to do what it did many years ago..... BOCA

GLTA

The BCMR is no the last resort. You can take the army to court. peblawyer.com

I appreciate the advice/feedback, but I am beyond done with it all.

Honestly, I am not even sure why I started the process to begin with.

All that whining BS aside, I wish everyone here all the best in their process. I will still lurk around from time to time.

Still trying to figure out the whole process for recouping the taxes for the severance pay (combat injury vet tax fairness act 2016) Combat Injured Vet Tax Fairness Act 2016

Jose,

Just got my taxes back from my severance pay, was nice they also added interest to it so it was probably another 1000 on top of 1750 for me. If you call the Kansas City IRS office it was hit and miss on them being helpful. Or well 2 out of the 3 times I called the person was extremely helpful, so chances are you'll be taken care of.

Yooooooo 31L

Can you provide the specific phone number you called? TIA

Jose,

Just got my taxes back from my severance pay, was nice they also added interest to it so it was probably another 1000 on top of 1750 for me. If you call the Kansas City IRS office it was hit and miss on them being helpful. Or well 2 out of the 3 times I called the person was extremely helpful, so chances are you'll be taken care of.

Been waiting on my repayment for a couple of months. I received a letter from the IRS back in the beginning of Oct stating I should receive my check in a couple of weeks, but have received nothing. Called in Nov and the rep said she could see I am due a payment and she emailed the office who is supposed to send it but never heard anything. Now with the Gov shutdown the IRS is not answering any calls? Were you able to get through to a different office?

I'll dig through my papers here at the office to see if I can find the number for the Kansas City Office.

I think they told me it would be up to 14 weeks or something like that till I got the refund. Also I just took the generic amount for the 2005 time frame so I am sure that sped things up a bit for me. I would have got more the refilling which wasn't that hard but I would have got a refund check and would need the X-wife to sign it so I just said piss on it, it's money I wasn't expecting, and like I mentioned they added interest to it so it was close to 3 grand.

If you got a letter from DFAS on this I believe the number for the Kansas City IRS office is on it but again let me find my papers and check.

I'll dig through my papers here at the office to see if I can find the number for the Kansas City Office.

I think they told me it would be up to 14 weeks or something like that till I got the refund. Also I just took the generic amount for the 2005 time frame so I am sure that sped things up a bit for me. I would have got more the refilling which wasn't that hard but I would have got a refund check and would need the X-wife to sign it so I just said piss on it, it's money I wasn't expecting, and like I mentioned they added interest to it so it was close to 3 grand.

Just tried the number again on the letter, but there is no live person to talk to because of the gov shutdown.

I also took the generic amount as well. When did you file for yours?

When I said I just got it I ment last year it was end of July or beginning of August when I filed. It took a little over a month to get, but like I said they told me it could be 14 weeks or something like that, cause even though this is givin that we are due this, it is still a Amended Tax Return so it can take a while just checked and the IRS states up to 16 weeks to process. So that just the processing not any of the other BS and mailing.

Good luck and it'll get there

Thank you for all of the info, phoneG. I have tried the number on the back of the form before, 833.558.5245ext378, but I was unable to get anyone on the line. Now, as Perci stated, the shutdown is affecting calls. I have until July to get the amended filing done, but I would rather get it done sooner than later. I am trying to do the exact amount due to the large difference between the standard amount and what I am entitled to. Thank you again for all of the information. I am going to try the 816 number you provided when the the government decides to do its gahdamn job again :rollseyes:

edit - looks like i can't call that number from Japan AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hahaha,

Jose

Call one of the base operators and have them connect you to Whiteman AFB and off net you. Though a International call shouldn't cause an issue.

OMFG, you know, you would think having been a TCF tech I would have thought of that. good lookin out. i will try doing a hookflash

hahaha, AF Wire Dawg here, the only problem they have done away with so many of the operators here stateside you may have to get ahold of a Telephone Shop in order for them to do that. But its worth a shot

I will add this it isn't really that hard to file the amended return. Especially if you aren't changing the # of deductions. When I talked to the IRS I also asked about State Tax withheld cause that would have been a few hundred bucks also. They told me they didn't know but its worth looking into, if I still lived in that state I probably would have but no longer reside in that state so just said piss on it.

the problem for me, and many others, is that we do not have the information needed to file the amended return.

Yea, they walked me through it I think I needed to get a copy of either my last couple LES's from that year or copy of my tax return from that year. Got both in less than a week, LES was electronic and my tax documents were mailed I believe.

Once you have that it wasn't hard you just fill it out like you would a 1040ez.

So I guess if you don't have your Tax return paper work from that year or cant get it from HRblock or who ever you used you need to call the IRS and request a copy of that years tax return. I requested the year I got out and the year I filed cause I just wanted to make sure I got the right form.

And you made that request through the 816 number you provided above? Can you confirm whether or not anyone is answering that number during this shutdown? I tried the other number on the letter that was mailed out, but there is nobody there during this shutdown bs.