Thinking of declining MEB/New MEB process for Air Force?

tjay

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have been thinking long about this after my second DAWG referral resulted in me being fit for duty. I had every intention of ETS separation and starting terminal in Feb to begin my new job, then boom did not even know I was referred to the DAWG again and was unknowingly starting the MEB process. Had no clue, no one informed me or told me anything until a month later after I had already set a start date with my new job. They were flexible and pushed it back to try and allow time for my MEB but now today I find out that after being code 37 beginning of Aug that my PCM is still working on my IRILO and ordered another MRI that will probably take until end of next week to get scheduled. I know its a long process that takes patience, however this is my ideal/dream job in my ideal location and salary. I understand that I can decline the MEB, but is it a one time deal once AFPC deems me unfit? Or if I continue with the process and Jan rolls around and things aren't looking good can I decline the MEB process and separate at my ETS date? My PEBLO has been no help with anything and I am just in a real stressful situation. Also, I was told that there is a new process that is suppose to be rolled out that makes the process faster (most army people I am see is about 120 days from start to finish). Is this the IDES process which is already in place or just an increase in manning for the Air Force? I appreciate any help as this is really really stressful and caused me to really break down the other day.

There are significant benefits of going through the IDES / MEB process. The unknown timeframe sucks, but the rewards may well last a lifetime. I personally wouldn't skip it, although YMMV.

There are significant benefits of going through the IDES / MEB process. The unknown timeframe sucks, but the rewards may well last a lifetime. I personally wouldn't skip it, although YMMV.

Yeah this is a very difficult decision to make. I will be covered by the VA theres no question about that due to what I am being boarded for. It’s now a decision of walking away from my dream job or walking away from tricare.

AFIs at one time gave enlisted the option to opt out. But that could be a costly decision. A decision that could have a lifelong cost. Best wishes. Mike

AFIs at one time gave enlisted the option to opt out. But that could be a costly decision. A decision that could have a lifelong cost. Best wishes. Mike

I am looking into PTDY and taking leave while the board is going. Tricare and a blue ID card just isn’t enough for me to walk away from this job. I have zero desire to remain in the Air Force after my ETS date and I told my PCM that and was just fine seperating. My PTDY days if given the full 20 and leave will give me time to start the onboarding process in Feb, who knows maybe The MEB will be done by feb-apr. This is just an overall mess for me because I have been to the DAWG numerous times and nothing.

You are entitled to make your own decisions. Best wishes.

Nothing hard about it at all once you see how much people pay for healthcare it will let you know how bad the decision was. The VA isn't the best healthcare and there may be significant delays in treatment for health issues you have later in life. I can't think of any "dream" job that is worth that cost but hey it's your life you have to walk in those shoes not me.

Even your dream job will be temporary. MEB benefits are until you die -- most likely much longer than your dream job. And you never have to earn them again. Forgo the benefits and you'll have to earn them over and over until you die.

Thanks all for the input

I don’t have personal experience with it but the legacy route (LDES) might be a good fit. You just do Air Force stuff and then if your found unfit you do the VA stuff once out.

I don’t have personal experience with it but the legacy route (LDES) might be a good fit. You just do Air Force stuff and then if your found unfit you do the VA stuff once out.

Thank you for answering my question! I have decided to go with the IDES and just get this done and over with. I was separating anyway so was already in the process of meeting with a Va rep and scheduling C7P exams so heres to hoping it goes a little quicker! Again thank you for the answer and 0 jugement

Thank you for answering my question! I have decided to go with the IDES and just get this done and over with. I was separating anyway so was already in the process of meeting with a Va rep and scheduling C7P exams so heres to hoping it goes a little quicker! Again thank you for the answer and 0 jugement
tjay, the private company may be legally bound to hold your job pending release from service. It they officially offered and you officially accepted, then you might want to contact the ESGR for VETS if it comes to a longer IDES completion date.

tjay, the private company may be legally bound to hold your job pending release from service. It they officially offered and you officially accepted, then you might want to contact the ESGR for VETS if it comes to a longer IDES completion date.

Thank you, I contacted them and made them awwre of the situation. I’ve signed for it and they’ve assured me they are holding a spot for me. They expedited the process for me but no one thought it would go this fast. All seems to be working out though. Thank you for your advice and I will still check this out as well.