Thoughts on this NARSUM prognosis? Fit/Unfit?

TheChip

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey folks, my MEB is just kicking off. I've received the NARSUM/Commanders letter and the full MEB is now initiated. My commander elected to select "do not retain", so now this is going through the full IDES system. I was wondering if what's written here would seem to indicate a fit, or an unfit finding.

My timeline this far is:

16 November 17 - IRILO notification
22 December 17 - NARSUM completed
2 Jan 18 - Commanders letter compeleted
20 Jan 18 - DAWG initiates full MEB
31 Jan 18 - Signed for IDES process
Next: Va appointments

Attachments

• diagnosis.jpg
    diagnosis.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 302
My CC said the same “do not retain” and i was also not World Wide Qualified (WWQ). It’s an ALC code 37 i believe...now with that code, your CC saying do not retain, and the untimely processing of your MEB with the SECDEFs push to remove “broken” troops, i’d say with a fair amount of certainty the IPEB will come back with an “UNFIT” finding IMO. I had the exact same stars align in my case.

Best advice i can give is to in some way shape or form get deployable somehow. Whether it be only CONUS, or to “fixed medical facilities” any progess that shows your getting better and are deployable pays dividends.

My CC said the same “do not retain” and i was also not World Wide Qualified (WWQ). It’s an ALC code 37 i believe...now with that code, your CC saying do not retain, and the untimely processing of your MEB with the SECDEFs push to remove “broken” troops, i’d say with a fair amount of certainty the IPEB will come back with an “UNFIT” finding IMO. I had the exact same stars align in my case.

Best advice i can give is to in some way shape or form get deployable somehow. Whether it be only CONUS, or to “fixed medical facilities” any progess that shows your getting better and are deployable pays dividends.

At this point, I'm just ready to be done. My shoulder has been injured multiple times after surgery doing PT, I don't think my shoulder is going to make it to 20, although I would have liked to.

I'm hoping for the medical retirement, but the VA doctor physically lifted my arm through the range of motion after telling me "No, you can go more than that" so I doubt I'll actually get the retirement :(

At this point, I'm just ready to be done. My shoulder has been injured multiple times after surgery doing PT, I don't think my shoulder is going to make it to 20, although I would have liked to.

I'm hoping for the medical retirement, but the VA doctor physically lifted my arm through the range of motion after telling me "No, you can go more than that" so I doubt I'll actually get the retirement :(

TheChip - wow, I haven't heard this before (bolded/underlined quote). I've always heard (from friends who have retired) that you're supposed to stop movement when you experience pain for ROM.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed off. She stood behind me and said "You can get it higher, like this" and lifted until I yanked my arm away because it was about to pop out.

I'm expecting to get back a 10% rating for that arm since she lifted my arm for me. Hopefully I have a chance to get another C&P, because the doctor acted disinterested and didnt ask ANY questions about other issues.

That's a bummer - hopefully you'll get a more favorable rating on the appeal.

Not getting the outcome desired sucks man. Trust me i figured the same, yeah i’ll hit that 30% threshold easy, but the kicker is its 30% for your MEBable condition which no one is really sure of until you get the VA rating back and start digging.

Good luck man.

When do the Commander's statement come in? I've had my VA appts, currently waiting on NARSUM to be completed, the only thing my BN CDR ever submitted was a DA 7652 in the very beginning. Not sure if the process is slightly skewed being a Reservist and only seeing my commander twice a month for about 4-5 hours...

SCW019,
I can tell you from one reservist to another. The commander's letter plays a major part in your MEB.

If you have a good S-1have them to generate the statement, then get the commander to sign off on it.

The S-1 will be your laisoin in this process.

This letter...is it different than the DA 7652? We're a geographically separated command and my BN CDR never made any recommendations for the MEB, but was pushed down by Higher HQs that forced me in the process. I wonder if they submitted anything? I was nixed from 3 deployments so, I would guess they had enough...

My MEB packet had the following documents.
1. Orders from deployment
2. LOD
3. DA 2173
4. My P-3 profile
5. 4856/ IDES or LDES election
6. Commander's statement.

As an update to my original post, they are finally scheduling me at the VA for one appointment this week and one next week with Ortho at the VA. It took forever, but at least this time I may get a fair rating. The rating she gave me was 40 degrees, while the unbiased Air Force orthepedist at my base measured me at 20 degrees front and to the side.

My MEB packet is still sitting at the PEBLO...so I still have a LONG way to go.

You can ask for a VARR on the shoulder rating.

Well, I got the the C&P office. The C&P nurse took me back, asked me why I was there since I already had a ROM done. Then told me to wait in the waiting room....an hour later she came out and said "We're done here, you'll get your ROM done at physical therapy clinic next week" and sent me on my way.

Apparently she called my VA rep and told her I refused treatment or something? We suspect she saw that I complained about the only other VA nurse and didn't want to see me.

Already loving the VA.

In another strange twist.

My appointment for last week was ALSO cancelled.

It looks like my official range of motion test will be conducted by the Military base I'm stationed at instead of at the VA, since they are screwing me around.

Is this unusual? Conflict of interest?

Sorry to hear you are having such a problem with the VA. Here in San Antonio I've heard nothing but good things about the VA reps. My neighbor is actually a VA ENT Doctor and my friend is a VSO in Colorado. I'm really leaning on them for support through this process. I would recommend that you remember the old saying "Squeaky wheel gets the grease"

So as a small follow up. What I thought would happen did.

The military doc did another ROM, which was rejected by the VA. Now a month after that im still waiting for them to schedule me with a private doctor. The wait continues, meanwhile my VSO and PEBLO keep hinting me to withdraw the complaint so I can continue with the MEB.

Im just worried about the VA ROM that was WAY higher than both military ROMS.