THR recovery hit a major hurdle

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Not really related to VA per sei but for anyt hat care.

Wednesday the pain in my hip/thigh/knee reached new highs, which was confusing being 6 weeks post op and just being cleared to drive etc. Hip doctor said previous Thursday everythign was looking good and the tightness/muscle spasm where "normal". Well the pain was horrible and didn't go away with 2x hydrocodone, so the wife took me to the ER, thank god she did. I had been bleeding into my thigh for quit some time and it cause "compartment syndrome" the ER doc found the issue quick but no doctors around that could both do the Angiogram to stop the bleeding AND drain/release the muscle. So after 6 hours I was whisked 30 miles away to Baptist, the called in a cardio team and an ortho team, the angiogram found/repaired a small vein by the original hip replacement incision then the ortho team Cut me from the top of my hip to my knee and split the ITB, draining approx. 2.5 litres of blood from my now grey/suffocating muscles.

Finally released tonight muscles/nerves seemed to have recovered and not alot of drainage, but on a bright note I am fairly certain that 30 more staples and back on higher narcotic pain pills, they will be extending my con leave.

Glad they were able to take care of the problem. Hope your feeling better soon!

Thanks NVYMOM, 1 day post hospital release and im feeling about as good as i did 3 weeks post hip surgery ( which was better than the last three weeks)

On a side note anyone here ever have acute compartment syndrome and had it rated? Just like the THR I have no clue what the long term prognosis may be, but I know there will be some perm nerve damage( on top of the previous nerve damage) and now a HUGE scar to go along with it. and by chance any guesses on how this will affect my LIMDU status prior to the meb initiation?