Three years to gather military and VA records???

Multibranch

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Unfunny story. It took these folks THREE YEARS just to gather my military and VA records. I sent my "application" (for lack of a better term) in January of 2016. They're just now (December 2018) sending my records to the PDBR for review. with only a 10% rating for a broken back, I don't like my odds of being granted retirement. Considering that the Army only granted me 10% in 2006 and the VA rated me 100% P and T in late 2012, one of the conditions of which was PTSD (not part of my PEB) which was listed as "combat related" (because it was). I'll be curious as to how it will be justified that they will overlook that issue, considering that it is combat related. What sucks is that the PTSD they'll ignore is what would make me eligible for CRSC. My guess is that I'll be found ineligible for retirement and therefore be denied CRSC, which is complete BS.

It's not "BS" why would ratings in 2012 play any part on what was decided in 2006? The DOD rates at the time of discharge not for disabilities that worsen or manifested after service even if it is combat-related PTSD can hit vets in their 20s or their 60s. They will also probably state you accepted the findings and waived any right to appear before the formal board which is typical in cases like yours. The back is kinda low I really wouldn't be surprised with a new 20% or 30% finding but that wouldn't include CRSC just depends on your medical file from 2006 not now.

The BCMR boards are all to slow. VSOs need to press Congress to get BCMRs more current, just as they did to get the VA off center.

It's not "BS" why would ratings in 2012 play any part on what was decided in 2006? The DOD rates at the time of discharge not for disabilities that worsen or manifested after service even if it is combat-related PTSD can hit vets in their 20s or their 60s. They will also probably state you accepted the findings and waived any right to appear before the formal board which is typical in cases like yours. The back is kinda low I really wouldn't be surprised with a new 20% or 30% finding but that wouldn't include CRSC just depends on your medical file from 2006 not now.
My frustration lies in that while not included in my original MEB (though I had mentioned it), it is listed by the VA as "combat related", which clearly occurred while on active duty. I know better than to rely on common sense when it comes to the government handing out money. Being 100% P and T, it makes no sense for me to accept any retirement pay if it were to be awarded. I already have CHAMPVA for my family so honestly, nothing would change. The amount of backpay I could (theoretically) expect would be offset by the amount of disability compensation that I have received over the past 12 years, so big picture, nothing would change but the color of my ID card. While I would obviously not benefit (outside of CRSC which would be a minimal amount), someone else in a different situation might. I've never been a person to look for a cash grab - my upgrade to 100% disability was more than sufficient. But someone else with different circumstances would likely benefit if conditions that were left off their original MEB were in fact considered.