TIME LINE HELP!!! [severance pay & taxes]

For those of you who received your severance already how much advance notice did mypay give you? Like whats the time difference between ERAS updating to actually receiving severance?

Severance hit today. They weren't suppose to tax it but did so I sent in a request for a refund. That'll take a few weeks I'm sure but the rest is finally here. Lol

How did you go about submitting the request? I submitted online and they replied stating I had to contact DFAS Cleveland. If you faxed, do you mind giving me the number? Thanks!

I thought that I am able to request the taxes from DFAS since I just received my severance last month? It’s within the same year. I just need the correct fax number to fax the documents to DFAS.
Sorry, I mistakenly thought it was an older case.

An option to submit your claim/request online is available at this LINK to DFAS.<-----

Ron

From the DFAS page:

Disability Severance Pay

If you paid taxes on your disability severance pay, you could be due a refund. A refund is awarded in the same calendar year in which a military member received disability severance pay. To obtain a refund from us you must submit the following documents to us before December 15th if the year in which the disability severance pay was paid.

---->You can call DFAS customer service for the fax number you need: 800-321-1080
  • DD For 214 (member copy 4)
  • Veterans Affairs Award letter (the Award Letter in its entirety)
  • Separation Orders
  • Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) Proceedings Form from your applicable service.
  • Army - DA 199
  • Air Force - AF 100
  • Navy (does not have an identifiying form number)

Last edited:
Sorry, I mistakenly thought it was an older case.

An option to submit your claim/request online is available at this LINK to DFAS.<-----

Ron

I submitted it online at that link and they responded telling me that I needed to contact DFAS Cleveland because they deal with Marines. I’m guessing I need to fax it?

I submitted it online at that link and they responded telling me that I needed to contact DFAS Cleveland because they deal with Marines. I’m guessing I need to fax it?
I would call customer service and ask them for the FAX number or request to speak to a person who can give you specific answers.
---->You can call DFAS customer service for the fax number you need: 800-321-1080

Ron

p.s.
I can provide the FAX number for retired pay, but I do not think that is where your documentation should be sent within DFAS.

Odd that their own instructions did not work for you (i.e., told to contact DFAS Cleveland). The page is for DFAS-Cleveland if I am not mistaken.

On the other hand, the mailing address for DFAS Cleveland was changed from London, KY to Indianapolis, IN a couple of years ago.

Ron

The Cleveland fax number I was told to fax it to was 800-469-6559. I am a Marine as well. I spoke with a super nice lady name Mrs. Cheryl. She is at the Cleveland office. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
For those of you who received your severance already how much advance notice did mypay give you? Like whats the time difference between ERAS updating to actually receiving severance?

My RAS on Mypay actually changed the same day funds were released. I received a call about the funds being approved and released before my RAS changed that same day. It changed around 3pm that afternoon. That was a Wednesday and I received my severance the following Monday.

The Cleveland fax number I was told to fax it to was 800-469-6559. I am a Marine as well. I spoke with a super nice lady name Mrs. Cheryl. She is at the Cleveland office. Hope that helps.
Thank you for providing that information.

Ron

Well my RAS just updated today showing me a pay date of tomorrow. They taxed my severance pay. I didn’t receive a letter. So I guess now I’m in the same boat trying to submit to get a refund. This might have been answered already but what would I have to do to get my refund if my severance pay is issued this year?

Well my RAS just updated today showing me a pay date of tomorrow. They taxed my severance pay. I didn’t receive a letter. So I guess now I’m in the same boat trying to submit to get a refund. This might have been answered already but what would I have to do to get my refund if my severance pay is issued this year?
DFAS Refund of Taxes Withheld -- Current Year <----LINK

There is an option on the page to submit your request. Note: Another veteran recently reported it did not work for her.

Please report whether the DFAS-sponsored procedure works for you.

Thanks,
Ron

Excerpt from DFAS Refund of Taxes Withheld -- Current Year <----LINK

Disability Severance Pay
If you paid taxes on your disability severance pay, you could be due a refund. A refund is awarded in the same calendar year in which a military member received disability severance pay. To obtain a refund from us you must submit the following documents to us before December 15th if the year in which the disability severance pay was paid.

Note: The "Submit Online" image came with the narrative, but is not visible in the post.

• DD For 214 (member copy 4)Submit Disability Severance Pay forms online
  • Veterans Affairs Award letter (the Award Letter in its entirety)
  • Separation Orders
  • Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) Proceedings Form from your applicable service.
    • Army - DA 199
    • Air Force - AF 100
    • Navy (does not have an identifiying form number)
We cannot issue refunds for prior tax years. If you received your funds in prior tax years please contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.

---
Ron

Just as Ron stated. Submit to DFAS that paperwork with a request for refund letter signed. Good luck! Hopefully we aren't waiting too long for the taxes part.

I still havent heard/seen anything. I called back today they said " we have submitted a request you can call back in three days. Really hope Im nearing the end of this.

Hopefully you'll be hearing something soon!

I finally have a updated RAS with a deposit date of the 1st! Thank you guys all of you for your help!

Awesome news! I spoke with Cleveland and my taxes refund is in the final review. She said their review department is backed up so she can't give me a date but she'll email me as soon as she hears that it's been approved and released. I'll update when I receive payment. Good luck everyone!